Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
The easy solution for this problem is the installation of a Trik-L-Start. Works well on my Redhawk. Keeps the chassis battery fully charged when you are plugged into shore power. Inexpensive and very easy install.
How did you guys wire this? Did you wire it between the jumpstart button connections on the dash?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
How did you guys wire this? Did you wire it between the jumpstart button connections on the dash?

I believe it wires into the relay attached to the center of the firewall under the hood.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:28 PM   #23

Yes. The solenoid for the emergency start button is located in the engine compartment near the top center of the firewall. I wired mine in there. Made up a small bracket and put the trik l start over toward the driver side.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Yes. The solenoid for the emergency start button is located in the engine compartment near the top center of the firewall. I wired mine in there. Made up a small bracket and put the trik l start over toward the driver side.
So am I correct in stating this bridges the two batteries in parallel? If so does this device have a built in diode so it does not Drain the connected battery?
Old 03-15-2020, 10:54 AM   #25

Quote:
I did exactly the same thing.

Quote:
So am I correct in stating this bridges the two batteries in parallel? If so does this device have a built in diode so it does not Fran the connected battery?
Yes, it has a diode so the "juice" only flows one way; toward the chassis battery. And only then after the house battery is charged up.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I did exactly the same thing.

Yes, it has a diode so the "juice" only flows one way; toward the chassis battery. And only then after the house battery is charged up.
One more Hypothetical question;

When this device is installed, and I’m NOT connected to shore power, if I were to connect a solar trickle charge, is there away to use only one trickle charger to charge both batteries?
Old 03-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #27

Quote:
One more Hypothetical question;

When this device is installed, and I’m NOT connected to shore power, if I were to connect a solar trickle charge, is there away to use only one trickle charger to charge both batteries?
Sure, just connect the trickle charger to the house battery. Once it's charged up, your chassis battery will charge as well. Assuming the charger can push enough amperage to overcome any parasitic drain on the house battery...

My plan is to install a 100W solar panel and associated gear. My intent is for this setup to keep my batteries charged while the rig is in storage. ALL of them. If I connect my solar setup to the house battery as normal, then my trick-l-start should allow the solar array to keep my chassis battery charged up as well as the house battery.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Sure, just connect the trickle charger to the house battery. Once it's charged up, your chassis battery will charge as well. Assuming the charger can push enough amperage to overcome any parasitic drain on the house battery...

My plan is to install a 100W solar panel and associated gear. My intent is for this setup to keep my batteries charged while the rig is in storage. ALL of them. If I connect my solar setup to the house battery as normal, then my trick-l-start should allow the solar array to keep my chassis battery charged up as well as the house battery.
I would like to do the same thing my only issue is I keep my rig covered when not in use. So it would have to be an external panel. I Wonder if there is a panel that could be used on the ground as well on the roof and be snapped in to a bracket easily on the roof?
Old 03-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #29

Quote:
I Wonder if there is a panel that could be used on the ground as well on the roof and be snapped in to a bracket easily on the roof?

I think you'd have to create something.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #30

Where is it stored under cover? If on property that you control and have exclusive access to (like your back yard), you could use a portable panel.

But if in a "public" area like a storage lot, then a portable panel would grow legs in a hurry.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-18-2020, 12:18 PM   #31

I ordered the Trik-L-Start after reading through this thread. I understand that you guys wired it to the bridge solenoid under the hood and not to the Battery Boost switch itself. Any idea whether that would work or just go with the solenoid? TIA
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin View Post
I ordered the Trik-L-Start after reading through this thread. I understand that you guys wired it to the bridge solenoid under the hood and not to the Battery Boost switch itself. Any idea whether that would work or just go with the solenoid? TIA
The instructions say to use the solenoid, so that's what I did.

Why would you want to wire it to the switch? Granted, I don't know for sure, but IIRC, the switch just momentarily triggers the solenoid, so wiring it near the switch wouldn't work. In fact, my 5YO son helped me test it to make absolutely sure I was bypassing the appropriate solenoid. I put my finger on the solenoid up on the firewall that I thought was the right one while my son pushed the button in the dash (it was great fun for him, I NEVER let him push buttons!) and sure enough, I could feel and hear it clicking.

The goal is basically just to bypass the solenoid with a diode and a couple wires so the chassis battery receives a charge from the on-board converter, and the chassis battery is unable to drain the house battery or vice versa.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #33

Yes, I wired mine across the solenoid under the hood.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #34

Has anyone on this forum installed a Trik-L-Start on a 2017 Melbourne MB Chassis. I have one coming via Amazon tomorrow and would like to have an idea in regards to which seat this solenoid is actually under, Driver or Passenger. I can’t check right now because the rig is still in storage till the end of next month and would like to prepare for the install.
Gord60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord60 View Post
Has anyone on this forum installed a Trik-L-Start on a 2017 Melbourne MB Chassis. I have one coming via Amazon tomorrow and would like to have an idea in regards to which seat this solenoid is actually under, Driver or Passenger. I can’t check right now because the rig is still in storage till the end of next month and would like to prepare for the install.
If no one else chimes in to give you an idea where that solenoid is, then get a helper and find it the old fashioned way. Assuming your chassis has the "emergency start" button that temporarily ties the chassis and house batteries together. Just make it really quiet around the rig, then have an "assistant" trigger the switch in the dash and listen carefully for the click. There should be an audible click from the solenoid closing. It might not be that loud, so make sure it's quiet around the rig. Once you've narrowed it down by sound, put your finger on the side of the suspected solenoid (obviously keep clear of the posts, you don't want to close that circuit with your hand) and have your assistant push the button one more time. You should be able to feel the solenoid click.

I can't speak to the MB chassis, but for the E-450 chassis, it's under the hood up near the firewall toward the driver's side. It's somewhat obvious if you've ever been around an engine bay because it looks a little out of place.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #36

Barring any other information, I would start by tracing the large-diameter wires coming off of the chassis battery.

On the E450, the wire to the solenoid is attached to the large-diameter feed wire on the under-hood fuse box.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #37

Question for those of you who just hung a diode across the relay to charge the battery. What diode did you use? All diodes have a voltage drop across them which would reduce the voltage going to the battery you are routing the charge to. Small power diodes typically are .7 volts, not sure what a high-amperage diode would drop. Have you ever measured the voltage on each battery while charging?

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #38

U guys are awesome. I've been trying to start my plugged in '19 RedHawk every month over the winter. Last 2 times dead chassis battery. Ordered Trik-L-Start per this thread.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #39
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by matter View Post
U guys are awesome. I've been trying to start my plugged in '19 RedHawk every month over the winter. Last 2 times dead chassis battery. Ordered Trik-L-Start per this thread.
I'd suggest getting your battery load tested. There's a good chance, after repeated killings, that it's toast, and will hardly hold a charge. When I brought my rig home, my chassis battery woudn't hold a charge. The dealer, Jayco and probably Ford killed it a few times during production modification and sitting on the dealer lot. I ended up having to put a new battery in.

Batteries don't like being flatlined multiple times.....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #40

Good call.
Again, you guys are awesome!
When I grow up, I wanna be just like you’se!
��