Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Chat with Seneca Owner. Looking to buy.

Hello,

I know there are quite a few Seneca owners here but was hoping I might be able to chat 1:1 to get some questions answered and just get general nuggets of wisdom before I get serious in my search for a used 2012-2016 Seneca 37FS.

Even better if someone is located in the Phoenix metro area . Feel free to PM me if you wouldn’t mind having a conversation about Seneca ownership. Of course, happy to hear feedback here as well. Areas I’m interested include:

1. Searching for a unit. Seneca’s are pretty dispersed across the US so when you find one that you think is a good match, how do you vet it out? Hire someone local to do an inspection?

2. Running costs. I’m new to diesels and RV ownership. Last November our family of 4 took a trip in a 2018 red hawk 31XL and absolutely loved it. The room was certainly “adequate” but more floorplan, storage and towing capability has us cross-shopping a Greyhawk/Entegra bunkhouse “C” and the Seneca 37FS, which is what we really want. I’m interested in the maintenance costs on the Chassis of the Seneca. I understand coach maintenance will be additional, but curious to know the types of costs that go into running the Freightliner annually.

3. Towing. I recently bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited to serve toad duty. Interested in setup and ease of towing with a Blue Ox flat-tow setup.

4. Storage - While we plan to use the RV for between 4-6 trips per year, anything special to consider with storage of the unit on down trips? I’m planning to pay for covered storage - too much paint & rubber degrading sun here in AZ to keep it out in the open!

5. Key modifications - What are the key mods to consider or MUST do? I know about things like filling holes in mirror, water tank support, ECU/TCU reflash, (want a unit with O/D switch), Scan gauge, Saft-T-Plus steering stabilizer, water heater, etc..others or opinions on these?

That’s it for now but generally, I’m in a position to consider the Seneca OR the Greyhawk Prestige/Entegra bunkhouse C models. Really want to avoid stepping up to the Seneca if that would be the best solution for us but also don’t want to ignore the differences in TCO of both vehicles. Love to hear feedback!

Thanks,
Aaron

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #2

I'm no major help. One mod to consider is the fw tank to burp the air so it will no syphon out your tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #3

If you want to PM your contact information... I would be glad to give you a call some evening. We just finished two weeks in Kingman AZ, we could have gotten together and discussed / walked thru our 36FK model.

As far as annual maintenance, We have our local Freightliner do our annual maintenance / inspections - I attached the last invoice we paid.

As far as towing... we tow on a trailer. It adds a lot of weight to our total combined weight, but we are usually running right under the 33,000# limit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019-03-19 184728.PDF (435.1 KB, 80 views)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #4

Thanks for that. This may be a new one that I’m not aware of. Is this the water or fuel tank?

2014 Seneca 37FS
Old 05-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #5

Really appreciate that offer! Yes, I’ll PM you my contact info.

Thanks!

2014 Seneca 37FS
Old 05-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronL View Post
Thanks for that. This may be a new one that I’m not aware of. Is this the water or fuel tank?
I think he was referring to the need for an air gap in the fresh water tank vents to prevent the siphon effect that can happen. If you have read all the Seneca threads then I’m sure you have come across it, pretty common in a lot of RV’s
Attached Thumbnails
04CE8A7A-6B44-4CC9-A8D2-08F091E319FB.jpeg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I think he was referring to the need for an air gap in the fresh water tank vents to prevent the siphon effect that can happen. If you have read all the Seneca threads then I’m sure you have come across it, pretty common in a lot of RV’s
Ah, understand. SloPoke just explained the same to me. Thanks!

2014 Seneca 37FS
Old 05-22-2019, 03:58 AM   #8

You are welcome to PM me as well and I can tell you of my experiences. That being said, you may have talked to Steve who saved my refrigerator when I first purchased my Seneca!
We looked for a long time so I do know many of the differences of model years.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
You are welcome to PM me as well and I can tell you of my experiences. That being said, you may have talked to Steve who saved my refrigerator when I first purchased my Seneca!
We looked for a long time so I do know many of the differences of model years.

Yes, I had a great conversation with Steve. Happy to chat with you as well. Really great folks here! I’ll PM you.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #10

Go ahead and PM me...I have a 2016 37FS and can give you lots of info. I am in Albuquerque, while not the same weather, we share some of the same camping destinations.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
Go ahead and PM me...I have a 2016 37FS and can give you lots of info. I am in Albuquerque, while not the same weather, we share some of the same camping destinations.
Sounds great, Thanks will shoot you a PM!

Aaron
Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #12

Aaron... I encourage you to take the opportunity to talk with everyone on this forum that HAS a Seneca... We all have different experiences, use our Seneca in different situations, have different model years and have different towing configurations. There can't be a better bunch of people to give you honest feedback on what the Seneca can / can't do that the folks here!

It was great talking to you... I hope we get to run into each other out on the trail/road/park/etc some where in the future... If you are in a Seneca, or anything else you choose - it does not matter as long as you are happy with what you have!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Aaron... I encourage you to take the opportunity to talk with everyone on this forum that HAS a Seneca... We all have different experiences, use our Seneca in different situations, have different model years and have different towing configurations. There can't be a better bunch of people to give you honest feedback on what the Seneca can / can't do that the folks here!

It was great talking to you... I hope we get to run into each other out on the trail/road/park/etc some where in the future... If you are in a Seneca, or anything else you choose - it does not matter as long as you are happy with what you have!
Thanks, Steve! I enjoyed our conversation and certainly do hope we catch up “in the wild” someday soon. Will keep reaching out!

Aaron

2014 Seneca 37FS
Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #14

Aaron,
Feel free to contact me at -
Ricgolding at yahoo dot com
with any questions or concerns.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Aaron,
Feel free to contact me at -
Ricgolding at yahoo dot com
with any questions or concerns.
Great, thank you!

2014 Seneca 37FS
Old 05-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronL View Post
Hello,

I know there are quite a few Seneca owners here but was hoping I might be able to chat 1:1 to get some questions answered and just get general nuggets of wisdom before I get serious in my search for a used 2012-2016 Seneca 37FS.

Even better if someone is located in the Phoenix metro area . Feel free to PM me if you wouldn’t mind having a conversation about Seneca ownership. Of course, happy to hear feedback here as well. Areas I’m interested include:

1. Searching for a unit. Seneca’s are pretty dispersed across the US so when you find one that you think is a good match, how do you vet it out? Hire someone local to do an inspection?

2. Running costs. I’m new to diesels and RV ownership. Last November our family of 4 took a trip in a 2018 red hawk 31XL and absolutely loved it. The room was certainly “adequate” but more floorplan, storage and towing capability has us cross-shopping a Greyhawk/Entegra bunkhouse “C” and the Seneca 37FS, which is what we really want. I’m interested in the maintenance costs on the Chassis of the Seneca. I understand coach maintenance will be additional, but curious to know the types of costs that go into running the Freightliner annually.

3. Towing. I recently bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited to serve toad duty. Interested in setup and ease of towing with a Blue Ox flat-tow setup.

4. Storage - While we plan to use the RV for between 4-6 trips per year, anything special to consider with storage of the unit on down trips? I’m planning to pay for covered storage - too much paint & rubber degrading sun here in AZ to keep it out in the open!

5. Key modifications - What are the key mods to consider or MUST do? I know about things like filling holes in mirror, water tank support, ECU/TCU reflash, (want a unit with O/D switch), Scan gauge, Saft-T-Plus steering stabilizer, water heater, etc..others or opinions on these?

That’s it for now but generally, I’m in a position to consider the Seneca OR the Greyhawk Prestige/Entegra bunkhouse C models. Really want to avoid stepping up to the Seneca if that would be the best solution for us but also don’t want to ignore the differences in TCO of both vehicles. Love to hear feedback!

Thanks,
Aaron
Hi Aaron,
I live here in Phoenix and keep my Seneca at my shop in Tempe. I would be happy to have you come over and walk around the unit and I can tell you about all the repairs I have done to this unit since taking delivery of it New in 2017. I too am a pilot.

602-315-3622 Kurt
Kurt & Veronica Tedhams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt & Veronica Tedhams View Post
Hi Aaron,
I live here in Phoenix and keep my Seneca at my shop in Tempe. I would be happy to have you come over and walk around the unit and I can tell you about all the repairs I have done to this unit since taking delivery of it New in 2017. I too am a pilot.

602-315-3622 Kurt
Hi Kurt,

Ah, a fellow pilot, nice! Appreciate the offer, that is very kind. I will reach out and we can setup some time.

Thank you!

2014 Seneca 37FS
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #18

I'll listen for your call in the future
Old 06-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #19

You can give me a call at my cabin in Crestline CA, 909.589.2309.
We have a 16 HJ which we bought new. Tow an 03 Subaru 5 speed and occasionally a Silverado 4x4. Pevious rig was an 03 Fleetwood Southwind gas Class A.
We are leaving June 14 for a four month road trip.
Meeting a Fantasy RV tour group July 9 in Coeur D'Alene ID for 61 days.
matthewphilippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #20

Hi Matthew,

My HJ is all loaded and the trailer is full of stuff to take back to the farm. The wife and I hope to pull out of Phoenix on Tuesday night. We like leaving at about midnight as the traffic is gone and the road surface has cooled down and it is not so punishing on the tires. We have a small farm in Thompson Falls Montana which is exactly 92 miles from Coeur D Alene. You guys will have to plan a day trip over the mountain to come have dinner with us while we are all up enjoying the Inland Pacific Northwest.