Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #1

Check that caulk!!!

If there's an upside to Shelter at Home, there's time to climb up and all over the motorhome.

I had caulked up pretty good two summers ago but was shocked to see the cracking and tears that appeared!

Climb up there, or have someone spry do it.
Take denatured alcohol to clean up the old caulk then recaulk!

[ I noticed that Alcohol cleans albeit slowly, acetone cleans up a bit faster. And Naptha cleans the fastest but also dissolves a bit and makes a big mess. ]
Old 04-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I had caulked up pretty good two summers ago but was shocked to see the cracking and tears that appeared!
That's why the owner's manual says check every 6 months. The best bet is to use ETERNABOND and you never have to worry about it again.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #3

I used caulk on the circular bits. But I've got a roll of Eternabond that will get applied to the seams.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #4

We talking Dicor or OSI Quad/Geo Flex? Eternabond would probably look pretty bad on the non-Dicor.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #5

I try to wash and wax (and get on the roof)every 3 months. Gives me a close up look at every seam and I almost always find a few spots that need a touch up.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #6

I cleaned up the old sealant applied Eternabond no more cracking and huge pile of sealant some one else did
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #7

How do you get the eternabond to seal good over the old uneven dicor? Is it best to use 4" or 2" wide eternabond?
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #8

I’d echo his question. I have both widths however I haven’t put it on yet.

Also, is there any problem w/ putting Eternabond on the popcorn fiberglass roofs some of us have? I’d love to put a run of Eternabond on the junction between the front overhead cap and the roof on my Greyhawk.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
How do you get the eternabond to seal good over the old uneven dicor? Is it best to use 4" or 2" wide eternabond?
I always use 4". Clean everything good with acetone (don't get too aggressive with the roof membrane) then apply the tape and rub it down good using a dry rag or find a wallpaper seam roller which I think works best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I’d echo his question. I have both widths however I haven’t put it on yet.

Also, is there any problem w/ putting Eternabond on the popcorn fiberglass roofs some of us have? I’d love to put a run of Eternabond on the junction between the front overhead cap and the roof on my Greyhawk.
I used on our 08 SENECA with the Fiberglass roof and it worked great.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #10

Ditto here. The Dicor is fairly easy to remove. Just clean it up as much as you can being careful not to damage the roof membrane and replace it with the eternabond.

Putting it over the old Dicor without any effort to remove the old Dicor would be like putting new shingles over old, eventually you’ll need to remove them both and do it right.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post

Putting it over the old Dicor without any effort to remove the old Dicor would be like putting new shingles over old, eventually you’ll need to remove them both and do it right.
Never did remove the DICOR since it isn't necessary..Right off the web..

If you are planning to remove the old lap sealant before putting down the Eternabond, you can use a gasket scraper or rounded edge putty knife to get it up. It is not necessary to remove the old lap sealant as the Eternabond can be placed right over it.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
After cleaning the roof, letting it dry really well. I used 6", due to the width of the decor along the front cap. I could have gotten by with 4" for most of the work. For the price, one roll of 6" was cheaper than two rolls of different widths. Key element is to have a good bond along the edges . If there is bubble between bumps of the decor, who cares, it is capped, as long as the edges are sealed.

I cut the material just a little long. Started at one end, slowly pealed back the liner, and pressed down starting at the center and worked my way towards the edge.

Please note; do not stretch eternabond, or it will not stick. I did it once on repair (cut), that went around the back edge of the TT. It applied nicely however the next day it had pealed up.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I used on our 08 SENECA with the Fiberglass roof and it worked great.
Sure, but did the roof have that textured finish like what I have or was it smooth? I figured it could be applied to fiberglass as its used on slide-outs often - however slide-out roofs are smooth. I’m wondering if water would work its way under the tape by way of the texture, or if the tape’s adhesive would sorta fill the gaps and it’d be no problem.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Sure, but did the roof have that textured finish like what I have or was it smooth? I figured it could be applied to fiberglass as its used on slide-outs often - however slide-out roofs are smooth. I’m wondering if water would work its way under the tape by way of the texture, or if the tape’s adhesive would sorta fill the gaps and it’d be no problem.
Dimples, just like they are using now.. doesn't sorta fill in, it does fill in as long as you press it/roll it down. Just don't stretch it.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Dimples, just like they are using now.. doesn't sorta fill in, it does fill in as long as you press it/roll it down. Just don't stretch it.
Thanks. I have a roller for it - I’ll clean the dicor w/ mineral spirits and roll it down real good. I’m happy to hear I can use the rolls I have ! Thanks Grumpy !

Old 04-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #16

Hi, I did this on my front end cap, in the Fall,
I cleaned the seam very well, used denatured alcohol, applied 4" Eternabond tape- it completely covered seam- I was careful to not stretch it... & used roller to smooth out, it looked good!!
FF to March- driving down road about 55mph, after a couple hours something catches eye in driver side mirror, a long white strip flying around in wind...
I pulled over and the entire Eternabond strip was just barely attached at side seam... I had to climb up on tongue and yes, the LP tank, to reach high enough to cut it off....
Then contd with planned trip!
I was 1d ahead of Park closures, as I circled SW, so it went well, now back home and it's rained hard everyday...
Until NOW I had completely forgotten about it!!
Thanks for reminder...
I need to get up there and try it again, or maybe stick with diclor... because::
Not sure what I did wrong!!???
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #17
Joy

Check the Eternabond instructions....I believe they specify prepping with Lacquer Thinner. NOT Mineral Spirits.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #18

Sport,
Not sure what you did wrong either.... But Eternabond needs to be rolled down hard to release the sticky stuff. I always roll the forward edge first. Never pull the tape, just roll it out. On bumpy surfaces, I let it lay down by itself and roll the edges, then the bumps. BTW, I use their own small roller. It's weighted and works well.
Been down 2 years in the Arizona weather and no issues....yet.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #19

Might be onto something there. I see Grumpy used acetone. I’ve heard people use mineral spirits. I have some 97% alcohol maybe I should use that?

What’s the consensus?

Old 04-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Might be onto something there. I see Grumpy used acetone. I’ve heard people use mineral spirits. I have some 97% alcohol maybe I should use that?

What’s the consensus?
Right from their web site:

1. Locate area needing repair or sealing.
2. Clean the surface. Allow it to dry completely.
Recommended cleaners: EternaClean, Lacquer Thinner, Acetone, Denatured Alcohol,
etc. (If rusty, scrape or sand loose rust off,
then wipe off dust.)
3. Remove release liner. (See Liner Removal
Tips section.) Only remove enough liner for
the area you are working on. Keep adhesive
side clean and dry. Apply tape to surface.
4. Apply pressure to activate bonding process.
Use a steel roofer’s roller for best results. The
firmer the pressure or rubbing applied, the
faster the bond.
*NOTE: EternaBond does not stick to silicone.

https://www.eternabond.com/v/vspfile...ps_install.pdf