Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2022, 11:25 PM   #1
TnK

China Bomb Tires

I’ve been reading a lot about these “China Bomb Tires” on some other forums and that got me to wondering…
How many of you have had issues with the factory tires on your unit? Do you know where/when they were made?

Even though I find it very hard to believe a company like Mercedes’ would install a substandard anything on their name I don’t decided to do a little research Continental tires that came on my unit.

What I found was they were made in June of 2021 in Czechoslovakia.
I’d have thought Germany for sure.

On another note:
Have any or you added a TPMS system to your Sprinters? Is it a DIY kinda thing?
I already know I gotta take it to the tire shop anyway to get vale stem extensions put on so I guess I could get one installed at that time.
and another shocker…these no longer come with a spare!! Wonder when that change happened?? I’d gladly purchase one but…there’s really no place to put it…lol
TnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:20 AM   #2

I have always heard good things about Continental Tires but was not aware of where they are made. It would not scare me away from purchasing them however. I used to maintain a fleet of five to 15 half ton and three quarter ton trucks that were heavily loaded and we always put Firestone Transforce tires on them with pretty good luck. They had to tolerate a lot of twisting and turning even though they were not on a trailer. These trucks were used to maneuver into and out of parking lots to deliver fuel to individual Vehicles so they did a lot of sharp turns. I don't remember the average mileage on these tires because we didn't usually keep them very long. We just worked out the bugs and sent them to other cities to be used in our company.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:11 AM   #3
Site Team

I had Continentals mounted on the DWs car when the OE tires needed replacing. She's put 32,000 miles on them so far. Everyone's experiences will be different, but ours has been fine.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnK View Post
I’ve been reading a lot about these “China Bomb Tires” on some other forums and that got me to wondering…
How many of you have had issues with the factory tires on your unit? Do you know where/when they were made?

Even though I find it very hard to believe a company like Mercedes’ would install a substandard anything on their name I don’t decided to do a little research Continental tires that came on my unit.

What I found was they were made in June of 2021 in Czechoslovakia.
I’d have thought Germany for sure.

On another note:
Have any or you added a TPMS system to your Sprinters? Is it a DIY kinda thing?
I already know I gotta take it to the tire shop anyway to get vale stem extensions put on so I guess I could get one installed at that time.
and another shocker…these no longer come with a spare!! Wonder when that change happened?? I’d gladly purchase one but…there’s really no place to put it…lol
I have the same Czech Continentals on my Melbourne. The right front tire is wearing badly on the inside, so I know the front end alignment is out of whack. The rig only has 10,800 miles on it. So I am already scheduled to have both front tires replaced and aligned and will be installing the same tires. The rear duals are wearing fine. I have been pleased with the ride of these tires and have driven in heavy rain and some snow with no issues. Everything I have read about these tires has been decent reviews. Not sure what I will use when I need to replace all six tires down the road.
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainRVer View Post
I have the same Czech Continentals on my Melbourne. The right front tire is wearing badly on the inside, so I know the front end alignment is out of whack. The rig only has 10,800 miles on it. So I am already scheduled to have both front tires replaced and aligned and will be installing the same tires. The rear duals are wearing fine. I have been pleased with the ride of these tires and have driven in heavy rain and some snow with no issues. Everything I have read about these tires has been decent reviews. Not sure what I will use when I need to replace all six tires down the road.
To your further issue about a TPMS, my tire guy at GCR Tires said not to bother installing a TPMS or the long extensions on the inside dual on the aluminum wheels at these wheels are problematic on Sprinters. He suggested checking pressure regularly when on the road and maintaining the proper pressure. And yes, checking the inside dual is a PITB, but it is doable with a long gauge. Staying within the proper weight limitations of the rig is certainly important as well.
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:35 AM   #6
Site Team

My Sprinter was delivered with Kumho tires (South Korea). They were actually very good tires. I just replaced them last week at 7 years of service, not because of wear, but because the were starting to show some age cracking between the tread.

MB is no different than any other manufacturer. They source parts from many different vendors. Don't expect Mercedes to have any greater or worse quality components than anyone else.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:57 PM   #7
TnK

RockyMountainRver…
I did note in my owners manual that it specifically recommends getting an alignment done after the coach and everything it involves is installed. I’ll be taking mine in for an alignment as soon as I can locate a place to get it done. None of my local shops have a rack large enough.
The main reason I need to have the valve extensions installed is because I cannot reach the stock valve stems to check the tire pressures.
TnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #8

China bombs are Chinese made trailer tires, not the tires on motor homes.

And yes, the original China bombs on my trailer were junk. I don't think they made a year. I've had good luck with two sets of Maxxis trailer tires since.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #9

Ran my China tires for 2 years, no problems.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I have always heard good things about Continental Tires .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I had Continentals mounted on the DWs car when the OE tires needed replacing.
I know GM uses them as OE not sure about Ford or Chrysler.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:30 PM   #11

Stock tires adequate?

I have a different issue (Jayco 27N) - the stock tires show a maximum inflation of 80psi. The suggested inflation per the sticker on the drivers column is 80psi. I installed aftermarket pressure monitors which show the high temp pushes the psi as high as 90psi. So, do I under inflate the tires to say 70psi so the max doesn’t go over 80psi or do I inflate to the recommended 80psi and let the actual psi rise to above what the tire indicates is the maximum PSI?
Jpreuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #12
Site Team

I inflate ours to the recommended pressure. They're designed to accommodate the slightly higher pressure when they warm up. The same with the truck we tow with.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpreuss View Post
I have a different issue (Jayco 27N) - the stock tires show a maximum inflation of 80psi. The suggested inflation per the sticker on the drivers column is 80psi. I installed aftermarket pressure monitors which show the high temp pushes the psi as high as 90psi. So, do I under inflate the tires to say 70psi so the max doesn’t go over 80psi or do I inflate to the recommended 80psi and let the actual psi rise to above what the tire indicates is the maximum PSI?
No the tires are supposed to increase pressure and temperature while driving
Old 03-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I inflate ours to the recommended pressure. They're designed to accommodate the slightly higher pressure when they warm up. The same with the truck we tow with.
Thanks! It didn’t make sense and from what I read, they say never exceed the PSI. I’ll take your advice. I’m surprised though they didn’t use a slightly heavier tire just to comfortably accommodate the increased pressure
Old 03-08-2022, 08:50 PM   #15

Quote:
If you choose to run your tires at the sidewall full inflation pressure you put them at 80 psi cold, do not reduce it to compensate for the pressure rise while driving.

But many of us utilize the tire manufacturer's Load/Inflation charts to determine the pressure we use. But it does require the coach to be weighed loaded as it will be for travel. Ideally you get a 4 wheel weight, but most of us just get front/rear axles weights. Then inflate to the chart's recommended cold value and leave it there.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
If you choose to run your tires at the sidewall full inflation pressure you put them at 80 psi cold, do not reduce it to compensate for the pressure rise while driving.

But many of us utilize the tire manufacturer's Load/Inflation charts to determine the pressure we use. But it does require the coach to be weighed loaded as it will be for travel. Ideally you get a 4 wheel weight, but most of us just get front/rear axles weights. Then inflate to the chart's recommended cold value and leave it there.
Good suggestion as to weight. I leave the coach pretty much loaded for travel so it would be easy for me to get a reasonable reading. I’ll try that. I’ve heard too many horror stories about blowouts so I’d definitely like to do what I can to minimize that risk. Thanks
Old 03-09-2022, 12:07 AM   #17

Measure cold. If you are going for the max sidewall pressure, as others have said, the tire will accommodate when heated.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:23 AM   #18

China bombs? Does not sound like a good marketing name for tires.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:31 AM   #19

Not defending China bombs, never had issues and have Goodyear on our new camper. I check pressure before each trip. I rarely get over 70 mph, and only on good stretches of interstate. When I see campers blowing by me in the left lane most likely hitting 80+ mph, it doesn’t surprise me that there are so many horror stories.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks! It didn’t make sense and from what I read, they say never exceed the PSI. I’ll take your advice. I’m surprised though they didn’t use a slightly heavier tire just to comfortably accommodate the increased pressure
Your car tires have been like that ever since you were a teenager don't check your tires until they cool off. I remember being told that ever since I was 16. I had times where I had a low tire when I was driving, so I added air to get where I was going, then I waited till the tires cooled and filled them all to the proper pressure