Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #1

Circuit Breaker Box Issues

When we took a trip to Phoenix in our 2020 30Z we had issues with our rear ac unit cutting out. The outside temperature was over 100° in the shade. There weren’t many trees in the campground we had. After trying various things to resolve the problem I finally found that the breaker for the ac was loose in the breaker box. It was real warm too which to me was an indication that something was not right. I checked and the breaker had been arcing in the box and was loose on the buss bar. There was a camper supply shop in the area so as soon as I could I took the breaker to try and match it up. They didn’t have any in stock but sent me down to the local Home Depot. There was one down the street so off I went on my quest to find a breaker. To my surprise they had on the shelf. Same manufacturer and same amps.

Took it back and tried to install it and that breaker was loose too. After further inspection I found the buss bar was also burned from arcing. To get us some cool air I swapped wires from the ac to the microwave breaker. That got us home ok.

When we got home we had a appointment with the dealer for some other issues and I showed him the bad breaker. I told them the buss bar was bad and that the whole breaker box needed to be replaced. They said Jayco wouldn’t authorize replacing the box, just the breaker that I had already replaced. I guess I’ll have to go to Home Depot and see if I can get a box and all new breakers that will fit in that area. Sure don’t want to start a fire because the box is bad.

Anybody else have issues with loose breakers and if so how did you handle it?
Old 03-06-2022, 06:55 PM   #2

I would contact JAYCO directly. If it's a bad buss replacing the breaker will not solve the problem. Is the buss bar replaceable?

https://www.jayco.com/contact-motorized-service/
Old 03-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #3

X2, I have heard of Jayco replacing the various components in the power distribution box, and the entire box.

When you contact Jayco have your vin number. May want to inquire if they will authorize a mobile tech look/work on it, as you have lost confidence in the local dealer.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #4

Loose connections cause extra heat which can lead to a fire. If Jayco balks at replacing the box and the buss is indeed bad ask for something in writing describing why they won't replace the box. Tell them you wish to be covered in case of a fire. Might put a little fear into them.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #5

Also check the tightness of the neutral wiring lug for the AC at the breaker box. The wiring guy doesnt always follow through with actual proper tightening. Maybe check all neutral connections as well as pos, including the main.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:34 AM   #6

Just a thought...could a good welder build up that buss bar, then smooth it out for a good tight fit if there becomes an issue getting it replaced at Jayco's cost?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Just a thought...could a good welder build up that buss bar, then smooth it out for a good tight fit if there becomes an issue getting it replaced at Jayco's cost?
We’re not at home right now. On a two week trip to Knoxville. We should be back home in Houston in a week or so. I’ll have to deal with it when we do get home. Don’t really need the rear air right now anyway.

I’ve been a welder and machinist for 50+ years so if Jayco won’t assist me I’ll have to see what I can do. I’m thinking about taking the box apart and making a new copper buss bar that is a little larger than what is in there now so as to tighten up the breakers somewhat where they snap in the box over the bar.

Before we left on this trip we had this unit in the shop for some other issues and I asked the service manager about the looseness of the breakers. We checked a new 2022 30Z and the box was the same. That’s when he told me it’s “normal” for the breakers to fit like that. I’ll have to call Jayco and see what they say. I do know it’s NOT normal for the breakers to be arcing like they are doing!!!!
Old 03-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I would contact JAYCO directly. If it's a bad buss replacing the breaker will not solve the problem. Is the buss bar replaceable?

https://www.jayco.com/contact-motorized-service/
Grumpy,
That was the first thing I did was to replace the breaker when I saw the arcing. I did help some and did get us home ok. I kept a close eye on the box all the way back home. I’m not sure yet if the buss bar is replaceable but there must be a way. Someone built the box so I’m sure it can be rebuilt somehow.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel View Post
When we took a trip to Phoenix in our 2020 30Z we had issues with our rear ac unit cutting out. The outside temperature was over 100° in the shade. There weren’t many trees in the campground we had. After trying various things to resolve the problem I finally found that the breaker for the ac was loose in the breaker box. It was real warm too which to me was an indication that something was not right. I checked and the breaker had been arcing in the box and was loose on the buss bar. There was a camper supply shop in the area so as soon as I could I took the breaker to try and match it up. They didn’t have any in stock but sent me down to the local Home Depot. There was one down the street so off I went on my quest to find a breaker. To my surprise they had on the shelf. Same manufacturer and same amps.

Took it back and tried to install it and that breaker was loose too. After further inspection I found the buss bar was also burned from arcing. To get us some cool air I swapped wires from the ac to the microwave breaker. That got us home ok.

When we got home we had a appointment with the dealer for some other issues and I showed him the bad breaker. I told them the buss bar was bad and that the whole breaker box needed to be replaced. They said Jayco wouldn’t authorize replacing the box, just the breaker that I had already replaced. I guess I’ll have to go to Home Depot and see if I can get a box and all new breakers that will fit in that area. Sure don’t want to start a fire because the box is bad.

Anybody else have issues with loose breakers and if so how did you handle it?
If Jayco won't fix it Amazon has one for 159 dollars
Old 03-07-2022, 08:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
If Jayco won't fix it Amazon has one for 159 dollars
You happen to have a link to that?
Old 03-08-2022, 06:02 AM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:

Before we left on this trip we had this unit in the shop for some other issues and I asked the service manager about the looseness of the breakers. We checked a new 2022 30Z and the box was the same. That’s when he told me it’s “normal” for the breakers to fit like that. I’ll have to call Jayco and see what they say. I do know it’s NOT normal for the breakers to be arcing like they are doing!!!!
Wow! It's too bad you don't have that service managers statement in writing. He/she would be in a world of hurt if you had an electrical fire due to sparking of a breaker having a loose fit on the buss bar.

At the very least, make sure the Jayco rep you talk to knows about that conversation.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #12

Quote:
You happen to have a link to that?
I don't know which one you have but I think this is a 30 amp https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Power-...ower+Converter