Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #1

Class A or Class C query

DW and I have been 5th wheel campers for the last 10 years.

Enjoyed the experience but time has come to go smaller and simpler in our old age.

We need help determining which class rv we should focus on buying.
We realize that much of our decision will simply be our personal preferences, but to hear from folks with real life experiences will be most helpful to us.

Thanks very much!

Currently,

We are looking for Class A or C in the..26' - 28' range

We would appreciate any feedback from folks that have had experience with

both class A and class C rvs.

Appreciate your time!
Campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #2

Class C is easier to drive, more compact floorplan, less storage and readily available in lengths you want. Class A feels larger and possibly more difficult to drive, more storage and not many to choose from 28' or less.

Decide if you need lots of storage or easy to drive and start looking for the class that has that need. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #3
RPR

Things we did to help us with our choice when we bought.
1. On line looked at floor plans. One that would meet our needs. Big bathroom, no step up/step down inside(getting up in the middle of the night), something my wife would feel comfortable to drive if needed.
2. Went to lot of dealers to eye ball (pictures can be misleading)the floor plan we liked.
We bought a Class C 2018 Grayhawk 31DS. Hall down the side so bathroom is big. Couple had bought it ,put 1,000 miles on it ,but she got ill and could not travel anymore so we got it at a “used” price.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #4

We went from a TT to a C, and LOVE it.

Setup is SUPER easy, it's relatively easy to drive; it's not really any harder than a truck with a trailer or 5er IMO. Especially once you get the suspension configured right.

We chose a C over an A largely because of size, floor plan, safety, ease of repair/maintenance, and a little bit on price.

On the safety front, the Class C is on a "van" chassis, so the cab is equipped with air bags along with all the built-in frontal impact design features. So I viewed it as being a little safer than an A for the driver and passenger.

As for repair/maintenance on the chassis, I'm more comfortable with a C. That's just me. I've worked around vehicles like this before, so I'm comfortable there. I also read many users had easier time getting service on the E-450 chassis than on the F-53. I don't know a whole lot about that, but I figured it might work into the equation one day.

We really like our floor plan. But sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to swivel the front seats around. A friend of mine said he never did that in his because it was a bit of a pain. Storage space is plenty for us, but I can see that being part of the decision if you like to take along a lot of "stuff".

I guess really it boiled down to a lot of little reasons we went with an A over a C.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #5

We've had both types of RVs and currently have a 32' class C. The deciding factor for us was driveability and ride. Our first class C (25') was a rough rider but was an easy drive. Our next RV was a 29' class A. It rode and drove like a bread truck. It was a rough and busy drive. I'm sure it could have been improved with a bucket of money but I wasn't up for the expensive experimentation. Our current RV rides and drives like a long van. Much smoother ride and very easy drive.

We loved the view from the class A and the floor plan was better (opposing couch and dinette for easy conversation). The class C makes for easier conversation while underway as the passenger is closer. The class C is less intimidating to drive as it SEEMS narrower but it's really not.

If we really felt like spending the money again, I think we would opt for something shorter like a class C on a Sprinter chassis. It would be nice to not have to tow to get around.

With either choice you're going to compromise something. Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

A verses C

We prefer the class c primarily for safety reasons. Any type of frontal impact is more survivable with the class c.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post

We need help determining which class rv we should focus on buying.
We realize that much of our decision will simply be our personal preferences, but to hear from folks with real life experiences will be most helpful to us.

We are looking for Class A or C in the..26' - 28' range
The first paragraph is the key. Only YOU know what you want and will work for you. Others don't know what your "wants" versus "needs" are.. It really comes down to making a wish list, then finding the rig that hits most on that list.

In our case, it's just me and wifey, and the four legged poochie along for the ride. We went to a bunch of RV shows and dealers, and looked at everything from trailers up to Class A buses, and weighed all the Pros and Cons of each.

Since we like to play tourists, and just parking in the campsite for multiple days wasn't the plan, plus we wanted to use the rig to run around and see things, versus bring a toad, we felt a short Class C fit the ticket.

What made our rig work out, is that it's easy to drive and park anywhere, but when we finally get to the campsite, once the full wall slide is run out, we have all the space we need.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

We went with a 2019 jayco class c model 22j. Main reason was just the 2 of us and the dw drives it with no problem..previously we towed a tt for 5 your. We are in our late 60's and late 70's..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #9

As previously stated it comes down to what you want and what you will be happy with. Started out with TT's for over 30 years, bought a new 32' class C SOB and though it was OK I wanted more storage and more bells and whistles. Front seats didn't swivel but it was nice to have the engine out front to protect you. Also, chassis repairs can be done at any auto repair shop as opposed to a class A having to go to a truck repair shop. So anyway, two years ago we traded it in on our present rig.
Find a floor plan you like and make sure you test drive it. Also make sure you see how much room is available when the slides are in and you're going down the road. There are a zillion posts on all the forums concerning mostly shorter class A's and their rough ride and handling and how a lot of owners have spent a lot of money to improve their driveability. Look up Cheap Handling Fix and you will find more than enough reading material.
I can't stress enough about finding a floor plan you like. You can make a lot of mods if you are handy but changing the floor plan is not one of them. Good luck in your decision.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #10

Similar question was asked here not that long ago.... here is a copy of my response as I believe it's still relevant....

We went through this same decision a couple years ago. We were trying to decide between the Alante 31R and the Greyhawk 31FS.

We opted for the A - an Alante. Yes, it had some handling issues right off the lot, but nothing that wasn't addressable with minimal financial pain. Here is how and why we made our decision though.....

We never owned a motorhome before so the shift from trailer to motorhome was a big one. We found a dealership near us that had both floorplans on the lot. We went down and toured them both back to back. Then we sat in them, in various places as we would if we were camping to see how they 'felt'. We compared inside/outside storage, towing capacity, holding tank sizes, and how it felt to sit in the drivers/passengers seats - including how easy it was for my wife to get in and out of said seat to simulate moving around while driving.

Inside storage was similar in terms of space. Outside storage was no comparison, the Class A had far more storage and more available GVWR. Fit an finish was similar, but the ability to use the drivers/passengers seats as living space seats was great and something impossible to do with the Class C. The 'cockpit' was also no comparisson. The open feel and space of the Class A makes for a very comfortable driving situation and it also makes it effortless for my wife to get up go back into the coach for any number of reasons. In terms of usable space and ease of access to it the Class A won out - big time.

As I said earlier though, it didn't drive very well right off the lot. I added a Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer ($350), a set of front Sumo Springs (~$400), and a set of rear Timbrens (~$250). It's definitely not comparable to a pusher, but it has improved significantly and I no longer have a death grip on the steering wheel - sometimes I even find myself driving one handed.

Overall, for us, the Class A offered a 'feel' that the Class C would've never been able to do. It was a little intimidating to drive at first, but after a few trips I was just as comfotable driving it as I am any car or truck we own. I would suggest you spend as much time in both models as a you can, and if possible test drive them. Just don't expect the A to behave without a little 'tuning' in the handling department.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck and safe travels....

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote