Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #1

Class B non commercial License experience in PA

I have read quite a few things on here and other forums about the nightmare experiences people have gone thru trying to get their class b endorsement in PA. I wanted to share my experience too.
I filled out the paperwork and submitted to Harrisburg. Approximately 3 weeks later I received a rejection letter stating I had the wrong form. I looked the form over they sent and knew this too was the wrong form. I contacted Harrisburg 4 times over the course of the next 3 months getting different answers each time. I spoke with a supervisor on each occasion and I thought I was getting somewhere until I received my last letter from Harrisburg stating I needed a physical, so off to the doctors I went and got my physical and then I went to the local DMV where the clerk looked at me funny and told me I didn’t need any of the stuff I did. She handed me the original form that I sent into Harrisburg and had me sign it and issued my permit. She then proceeded to tell me if I didn’t want to take the test all I needed to do was keep renewing my permit. Wrong again. The permit only allows you to legally drive your rv with a licensed driver. So I went online to schedule my test. The earliest test date that came up was nearly 6 months away. I then called the scheduling line and was told to keep checking because dates open up all the time. After checking multiple days I found a test date 30 days out at a DMV an hour away. I promptly scheduled it.
On the day of the test I had a friend with a CDL accompany me to the test. When we got there the examiner checked my permit, insurance, and registration. He also checked my friends license to make sure he was properly licensed to support my permit. He told us to wait out by the coach and he would be out. About 10 minutes later he came out and told my friend and wife they had to wait in the building. He then told me the test would be approximately an hour long and said let’s start with your pre-trip inspection. I then walked him thru what I “do” each time before a trip. The pre-trip basically mirrored the CDL pre-trip. Once we were done he asked if I had air brakes and when I replied in the affirmative. He then asked me to perform the air brake CDL test. After completion of the air brake test he then said we will do the driving portion and will use the same route and maneuvers he uses for the CDL exam. Midway thru the driving portion he had pull over along the berm to simulate an emergency stop and what I would do. Upon returning to the DMV he told me I did well and issued my license. All in all, the test took about 2 hours from start to issuance of my license. It was a confusing process and many of the people working for the DMV do not know the requirements.
I learned through this process that, yes indeed, you do need a class B license in PA if your RV is over 26,000 pounds. If you have air brakes on your RV you will be required to do the air brake test in its entirety and explain why you do it. I would say if you study the pertinent sections in the CDL manual pertaining to pre-trip inspections, air brakes, and road side emergencies you should have no problems with the exam.
Steps to take:
1. Complete formDL-31 and take to your local DMV to obtain your permit. Don’t do it thru the mail. Harrisburg has no clue.
2. Study sections of the CDL manual pertaining to pre-trip inspections, air brakes, and road side emergencies.
3. Schedule your test. Must be done at a site that does CDL testing.
4. Enjoy your RV

I went thru this process because god forbid something happens on the road and I don’t have the proper license. It’s piece of mind for me that I actually am legal to operate my RV.
mbpharmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

Thank you for posting your experience. I have been trying for 5 months to get my non-com CDL in PA, and it has been frustrating. I'm STILL waiting for someone from the state to contact me regarding what I need to do. My request has been shunted through a few different "supervisors" with no luck. I also went to my local DMV with the supposedly correct form, (DL-31) and they could not issue me a permit because they had no clue how to do it. I have been told 3 different stories on how to get my license, including one employee that told me that I needed to take a commercial CDL class and get my license through that route. The complete lack of knowledge and ineptitude I have encountered simply astounds me. I have been at this since I ordered my Seneca in November, and have not accomplished a single thing. One of the biggest problems (besides the fact that the state has no clue what they are doing) is the fact that I don't have a ton of time to keep chasing this. EVerytime I try to complete a step, it takes a half day of time (including visiting 3 different DMV's) and then I am a half day behind all of my other responsibilities. The whole situation is ridiculous. On top of all this, I don't know anyone personally with a CDL license if I ever get to go take the test. I have talked to some friends who know people with CDL's, but these acquaintances all seem to have these crazy things called "jobs" and can't take a half day or a day off to go with someone they barely know for a test. This whole system sucks.
nittany1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

If I am not mistaken... you do not need the medical for the non-commercial Class B license.
The bad thing about driving an RV that weighs over 26,000 pounds and your home state requiring a non commercial class B license is if you have an accident, the insurance company finds out you are not properly licensed, the insurance company don't pay out. Now you are open for lawsuits.
Just my opinion here.

Have you ever thought about approaching your State Represenative in your area about this. It would be very interesting to see what they say.

I do have my Class A CDL with Double-Triple Trailers, Air Brake, Tank, and Passenger Endorsements.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #4

RAurand, you are correct the medical is not needed. I’m sorry if I confused you about that. I meant to clarify how little knowledge the DMV employees have on this subject. When I went to my local DMV the lady at the counter laughed at me and told me I didn’t need it. I agree with you about the liability, that’s why I decided to pursue this to the end.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #5

Nittany1, from start to finish this whole process took me from September 2017 to April 2018. I was extremely frustrating at times. Fortunately the lady I spoke with at the Dunmore DMV knew what I needed and I wish I had started there instead of trying to go through Harrisburg, because no one there knew anything. Once I got my permit. I scheduled my test in Wilkes-Barre and my examiner was also knowledgeable about the non commercial Class B. The only thing I can offer, is for you to go to a DMV that does the CDL driving exam and have them call Harrisburg while you are there to get direction on issuing your permit. Once I found someone knowledgeable about the permit it took no more than 10 minutes for her to issue it. I also agree with RAurand, maybe you should contact your local legislator to apply pressure to your local DMV to get your situation straightened out. It is a messy procedure and there is no clear guidance from the state. I wish you well in this and more importantly enjoy your new Seneca.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #6

Sounds like a big hassle, Michigan does not require a CDL unless its for commercial use.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
Site Team

The very reason that I have been trying to convert my Class A CDL to a non-commercial class A in PA is to get rid of the medical requirement. My hearing is not good and I wear hearing aids. Every time I go for my medical card, I have to go to see the Audiologist to certify that my hearing still meets the requirements. Eventually, I will not be able to pass at the rate that my hearing is disappearing.

As I mentioned in another thread here, even with the supposed proper form, PA cannot figure out how to convert my current license without turning in my CDL and then taking the non-commercial test. You would think that there would be a direct route for them to accomplish this, but being PA, they cant figure out how to do it. And as messed up as they are, there is no way I am going to give up my current license in the hopes that they get the next step of the process correct. So, I'm just going to hang on to my CDL until I can't qualify medically anymore and then at that time, go through the non-commercial process.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b, pennsylavania