Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #1

Class C Payload

Good afternoon,

I currently have a Jayco TT and tow with a ‘14 F 250. We were at an RV show yesterday and were drawn to the class C motor homes (Jayco & Entegra) they had on display. In the 29’ length I noticed that the payload was only about 1300 lbs. That seems low to me. What have you found, real world experience, when loading up your Cs for travel?

I am aware of the weight of H2O so I don’t travel with much onboard now nor would I plan on doing so in the future.

My wife noticed that the passenger leg room of the E chassis was tighter and somewhat offset as compared to the F. Does anyone find that to be a problem on the long hauls?

Thanks in advance.

Bandguy
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #2

While the CCC of a class C is limiting, and should be consider when loading your rig, I've really not found it to be a problem...If you'll be transferring personal belonging from another rig, just take it as an opportunity to thin out all the stuff you've been carrying. We went from a diesel pusher to a class C last year and basically halved every thing. 4 towels instead of 8, half the silver ware and pots and pans, got rid of all the extra bedding that wasn't being used, and a lot more.

As far as leg room...well, I guess it could be more roomy, but I don't consider it a problem. Passenger can always get up and move around.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
Good afternoon,

I currently have a Jayco TT and tow with a ‘14 F 250. We were at an RV show yesterday and were drawn to the class C motor homes (Jayco & Entegra) they had on display. In the 29’ length I noticed that the payload was only about 1300 lbs. That seems low to me. What have you found, real world experience, when loading up your Cs for travel?

I am aware of the weight of H2O so I don’t travel with much onboard now nor would I plan on doing so in the future.

My wife noticed that the passenger leg room of the E chassis was tighter and somewhat offset as compared to the F. Does anyone find that to be a problem on the long hauls?

Thanks in advance.

Bandguy
We also sized down from a diesel pusher to a few others (5th wheels and bumper pull Airstreams) and now to our Class C. Couldn't be happier and wish we had done this years ago. The Class C is really the best of each all in one comfortable easy to manage and maintain package.

We just travel with all the tanks empty (a little water in the fresh water tank for mama to flush the toilet while traveling) and pack what we need not stuff we never use. We put anything really heavy in the Jeep toad as it doesn't count against payload.

I would load every tool I owned but now learned to leave most of that stuff at home. I just pack a tool kit now of things I have actually needed in the past and go from there. You will find that the Class C's don't have an abundance of outside storage so that will limit you from overloading. I have found the storage to be quite adequate after getting rid of stuff I never or seldom used anyway.

Inside storage is very adequate but limited so again I doubt you will exceed your payload unless you have several passengers. If it's just the two of you I think you will be fine. We actually have a little more payload than you mentioned and we got every option available in 2018. Ours is a 29MVP Prestige with 2 air conditioners, big 4 door refrigerator, full body paint, alcoa aluminum wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
AA676FD8-F5B0-4C89-B628-7B0C49F1AE65.jpeg   95584B68-375E-4DE4-8C03-85B48A698B3E.jpg   5DA70C76-A9B3-4936-8DCC-DD0BA5E4ADFA.jpeg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:10 AM   #4

I love the way those look of your rig with full body paint. I’m glad to hear you are able to work within the payload limits and that the cab configuration is doable for the long haul.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #5

FWIW my 26Y has a payload of 2500 pounds. The Redhawk flavor 26XD had payload stickers around 2800 pounds. Redhawk number included the optional levelers.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #6

I did notice that the slightly smaller Cs had noticeably higher payloads. Makes sense since they are on the same 450 chassis.

Thanks all!