Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2021, 07:39 PM   #1

Class C refrigerator

We are having problems with our Norcold frig. It will stay on for about 24 hours and is working fine. It suddenly stops cooling but the green light stays on.
The unit is level; it won’t work on shore power nor propane. This has happened twice & of course it just went out of warranty. Any ideas?
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #2

If it is failing in both modes it could be due to a heat buildup in the rear, a board or thermistor problem, or other things. The first thing to do is determine if it thinks it has reached the set temp or is still trying to cool.

See the attached document section on fridge troubleshooting. It may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 11 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #3

Thanks
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #4

The Norcold N8X in my Greyhawk is extremely sensitive to level. The factory specs say 2 degrees side to side (which would be front to rear in the MH). But mine will stop working if the MH is more than .5 degree out of level front to rear. It will take it a few hours to stop cooling when it is "close" to level (but more than .5 degree out), and the green light stays lit.

watchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #5

ditto to very sensitive. Every time we park I use a level and still check the inside fridge fins to see if they are cold as just a little off and it doesn't cool or cool well.

If the light is staying green the unit doesn't seem to show errors. If it gets cold enough the thermostat would appear to be working. Not staying cold makes me believe its having a hard time keeping the temp which usually points to level or circulation in the back. I added fans pointing up (added outlet duplicator and plugged fridge AC and fan into outlets) and the fridge cools much better.

If it doesn't cool on AC, its not an elevation/propane issue. Anything new with where you are high/low temps? Something that just started where it has been working fine? If you open the outside cover and touch the coils, are they warm?
Old 11-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #6

Fridge issue

We were having the same issue, always seemed to be when we were camping for a week or so. Brought it to our local authorized Norcold dealer and they checked it and talked to Norcold. There is a defrost mode on the N8XRT models that will heat up the fridge to defrost the frost on the refrigerator fins. They could find nothing else wrong with it and didn't charge us anything for their inspection of it. Now if we are camping for more than a few days I shut it off for 10 seconds or so, every day (if I remember) they said this resets the main board and it doesn't do the defrost/heat thing. Just my 2 cents...

2019 Jayco Redhawk 24B
IslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote