Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Class C squeaks and rattles

So, I will start by saying that my Greyhawk is my first class C. I have only owned trailers previously, but the squeaks and rattles within the structure are a bit overwhelming. Some have been resolved... Some broken framing in the fridge wall that caused a loud vibration; window opening was oversized so the window couldn't clamp the sidewall adequately, but others cannot be resolved. I have another window that creaks endlessly, a constant chirping sound coming from the passenger seat or the structure around it, another squeaking sound coming from above the driver's head - somewhere in the area where the cabover meets the cab, and various other intermittent noises.

My questions are, how normal is this for these coaches? Are other brands more or less noisy? Are the Senecas any better? Am I being too anal, because that is the feeling that I'm getting from my dealer. It would be one thing thing if these noises only occurred on bumpy roads, but several are pretty constant.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #2

Can't say SENECA's are any better because we have squeeks and rattles that just go with the territory since we are riding in a truck. We had the same thing when we had the 2001 DESIGNER. There are many things in any RV that move while going down the road, window shades move, dishes and pots and pans vibrate etc, but since you aren't riding in the TT or FW you don't hear them. The shades could be causing your window noise, we have one that if it's left in a certain position it sets up a resonant vibration. Without hearing them can't say whether they are normal or not, but you will get them, some will come and go some remain forever.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #3

They pretty much rattle and squeak. You can track down some of them, others not so much. I have chased down and minimized squeaks and rattles from the shower door, sliding doors, TV, and dining table** (**Dining table made a ton of noise). I have have found squeaks in the mirrors, but have yet to unbolt and grease the squeak. (just have not had time). The cab over squeak in my unit is not that bad, but I do hear one there, it is not annoying enough.

You just have to determine what can be fixed and what cannot. If you are not comfortable taking things apart and putting them back together, it may be harder to deal with. I can imagine a dealer not being much help or pushing back on some of these noise issues, as many are pretty normal.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

We test drove a Redhawk last summer. It drove like a U-Haul truck, and it sounded like a U-Haul truck. My wife could not fathom spending hours in it going from home to destination; so back to a travel trailer we went.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #5

We borrowed our in-law's Class C a couple times before we bought our TT. A U-Haul would have been better. Granted, it's older (2006 IIRC), but it sounds like there's a freight train of stuff right behind your head about to fall on you at any moment. Between the rattles, the squeaks, the groans... Forget listening to the radio, and conversation is one click short of a yelling match on all but the smoothest roads. It drives me crazy, but they don't seem to mind it all that much...

That's actually one of the reasons we bought a TT instead of a Class C.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #6

Since you are in the Class C when you are driving, you hear all the squeaks and rattles. I expect the same if you were riding in your travel trailer. I have found that most of the noise and rattles in my Greyhawk was coming from:
1. The oven door. Open the oven door and put a towel over the door and close it when you travel. Be sure the towel is thick enough to make the door fit really snug. If it's still loose, fold the towel and try again.
2. The roundabout tray in my micro is really noisy. Either take out the tray when you travel, or stuff some towels in the microwave to hold the plate firm.
3. Put padding between pots, pans and dishes whenever possible.
4. if you have a folding metal lit over your stovetop, get rid of it. Most RV stores and Camping World sell a nice hardwood cutting board top that is made to set on top of the stove, it stays put when traveling, don't rattle, looks nice and makes counter space when not using the stove and doubles as a cutting board!
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #7

Appreciate the responses. I have been able to sort out most of the rattles like the oven and the table. Mine have been within the structure itself. The windows rubbing against the sidewall; the coach door squeaked a lot because it didn't latch properly. There was some broken framing in the fridge wall. On our last trip, a new squeak began that seems to be somewhere in the joint between the Ford cab and the cabover. This one is probably the most annoying so far because it is right above my head, loud, and lasted all 1100 miles without a pause. This thing even makes noise on smooth roads. I know it's never going to be like riding in a sedan, but I think some of these are just too annoying.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #8

We had a whistle develop on the way to Florida. Evidently it was an East bound whistle only, because returning we never heard it again.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Keilman View Post
Since you are in the Class C when you are driving, you hear all the squeaks and rattles. I expect the same if you were riding in your travel trailer. I have found that most of the noise and rattles in my Greyhawk was coming from:
1. The oven door. Open the oven door and put a towel over the door and close it when you travel. Be sure the towel is thick enough to make the door fit really snug. If it's still loose, fold the towel and try again.
2. The roundabout tray in my micro is really noisy. Either take out the tray when you travel, or stuff some towels in the microwave to hold the plate firm.
3. Put padding between pots, pans and dishes whenever possible.
4. if you have a folding metal lit over your stovetop, get rid of it. Most RV stores and Camping World sell a nice hardwood cutting board top that is made to set on top of the stove, it stays put when traveling, don't rattle, looks nice and makes counter space when not using the stove and doubles as a cutting board!
X2. We have rented a few Class C’s. Everyone has had a lot of rattles and squeaks. We did what Tom mentioned to silence a lot of them. But they are loud units to be in.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

We purchased a 2014 Greyhawk 31FS. The engine noise, squeaks, rattles etc were so loud my wife and I struggled to carry on a conversation over the din. I was tasked with locating and eliminating them. They came from many sources:
Engine cover - solution: install Hushmat under the engine cover
Under seats - solution: Jayco installed a residential carpet pad under the entire front cab area and under that I paid for and had Hushmat installed first before the carpet pad
Front outside area noise - spray undercoating and duct insulation
Cabinets none of the cabinets / drawers had rubber or felt pads to stop them from rubbing together- solution install felt pads in every cabinet door and drawer, install rubber shelving protector inside all cabinets and drawers to stop items from moving and banging together.
Microwave - solution use rubber shelving mats under the glass
Undercarriage noise - solution install foam rubber insulation, zip tie all wiring to secure it, spray on undercoating as appropriate.
Noise from back area (kids too) installed a heavy curtain between the cab and house areas

The results have been nothing short of amazing. Now we can have a normal conversation. An added benefit is less heat in the front cab area. We still have the occasional squeak or rattle but it is tolerable.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #11

Tom Keilman, Would you have a Camping World part # for the Hardwood Cutting Board Top ?, Thanks Rick !
Old 03-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
We purchased a 2014 Greyhawk 31FS. The engine noise, squeaks, rattles etc were so loud my wife and I struggled to carry on a conversation over the din. I was tasked with locating and eliminating them. They came from many sources:
Engine cover - solution: install Hushmat under the engine cover
Under seats - solution: Jayco installed a residential carpet pad under the entire front cab area and under that I paid for and had Hushmat installed first before the carpet pad
Front outside area noise - spray undercoating and duct insulation
Cabinets none of the cabinets / drawers had rubber or felt pads to stop them from rubbing together- solution install felt pads in every cabinet door and drawer, install rubber shelving protector inside all cabinets and drawers to stop items from moving and banging together.
Microwave - solution use rubber shelving mats under the glass
Undercarriage noise - solution install foam rubber insulation, zip tie all wiring to secure it, spray on undercoating as appropriate.
Noise from back area (kids too) installed a heavy curtain between the cab and house areas

The results have been nothing short of amazing. Now we can have a normal conversation. An added benefit is less heat in the front cab area. We still have the occasional squeak or rattle but it is tolerable.
Nice job fixing what Jayco should have done before selling it to you. I had to do the same with an Embark so it is not just the price of the unit to be an excuse for total lack of attention to detail and pride of shipping a quality unit.
I could have throw a box of tambourines on the floor and you would not have noticed the extra noise over all the stuff that was rattling.
az9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #13

Your ideas sound great, Michael!
Question: as far as the underside of the unit, how do you feel the "duct insulation" and "foam rubber insulation" will stand up to wetness from the road? Also did you put that stuff in yourself or have a dealer do it?

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #14

I did it myself. I carefully cleaned the surface and then stuck the ducting insulation against it. The insulation I used is quite tough and I believe it will hold up well. On top of the insulation I sprayed rubber sealant. The rubber sealant will protect the insulation from most damage as well as keep the water out. It will also help keep the edges from coming up.
New setup:
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #15

For anyone who is interested in what product I used here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Thermwell-FV51...uct+insulation
New setup:
Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #16

Two children do wonders for squeeks and rattles... Seriously though I didn't think our 05 is that bad. I did put some felt pads back on the cabinet doors is the only thing I noticed.
esmith2039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith2039 View Post
Two children do wonders for squeeks and rattles... Seriously though I didn't think our 05 is that bad. I did put some felt pads back on the cabinet doors is the only thing I noticed.
Yes we have 3 two 10 month olds and one 8 year old. That is why we put a heavy curtain between the cab and the house part.
New setup:
Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #18

YES! I've spent the last two years trying to track down the rattles. Some I found. Some not! But the best thing I did was to super-insulate. I cut down so much noise from the road and the engine that YES, the squeaks are bit more prevalent, but the general feeling is more like a car now. I actually was shocked by the improvement. Here's what I did for those who care:

Full sound deadening underlayment under rubber padded carpet.
FAT MAT or equivalent- 3 layers behind engine hump. In wheel wells, under cab. Inside doors and under hood.
Spray foam sound insulation under cab, in wheel wells, under hood and under plastic steps by driver's and passenger doors. Denim insulation under dash.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #19

Some pictures of this would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
YES! I've spent the last two years trying to track down the rattles. Some I found. Some not! But the best thing I did was to super-insulate. I cut down so much noise from the road and the engine that YES, the squeaks are bit more prevalent, but the general feeling is more like a car now. I actually was shocked by the improvement. Here's what I did for those who care:

Full sound deadening underlayment under rubber padded carpet.
FAT MAT or equivalent- 3 layers behind engine hump. In wheel wells, under cab. Inside doors and under hood.
Spray foam sound insulation under cab, in wheel wells, under hood and under plastic steps by driver's and passenger doors. Denim insulation under dash.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #20

They are noisy...no doubt about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by az9999 View Post
Nice job fixing what Jayco should have done before selling it to you. I had to do the same with an Embark so it is not just the price of the unit to be an excuse for total lack of attention to detail and pride of shipping a quality unit.
I could have throw a box of tambourines on the floor and you would not have noticed the extra noise over all the stuff that was rattling.
I don't think we can pick out Jayco as a singular offender. My only experience with a class C came late last year when I rented a Cruise America class C. I forget who makes them, but two things stood out. The quality of the unit was quite high and it was noisier than I could have imagined. I have never heard anyone say that one particular brand or model was so quiet or quieter than another. You'd imagine that Trailer life or it's motorhome cousin might report on such things, but I've never seen it done.
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster[/I]
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote