Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

Class C Tire Replacement

Researching what tires to buy for our 2016 Jayco Greyhawk, but all of the tire company websites aren't really that helpful as they don't provide specific enough information for RV's. Has anyone replaced their tires recently? If so, what brand and tire did you go with? Thanks in advance. Daniel
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #2

I had Michelin on mine at 24k and 5 yrs they were ready to blow out and cracking badly. So I went with Firestone Transforce HT four years ago have had no trouble
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel3359 View Post
Researching what tires to buy for our 2016 Jayco Greyhawk, but all of the tire company websites aren't really that helpful as they don't provide specific enough information for RV's. Has anyone replaced their tires recently? If so, what brand and tire did you go with? Thanks in advance. Daniel
What info are you looking for. Most manufacturer's give you the load and speed ratings and that is the most useful info.

Also, not all tire manufacturer's make tires for an RV. I have never had issues with Michelin or Goodyear but I have always had problems with Firestone.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #4
Tad

Goodyear Endurance class D load range on my 23bhm. Put them on about 2 weeks ago. . Night and day difference from my China bombs that were on there
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Goodyear Endurance are not intended for a motorhome. (Class C)

On a truck or MH, I usually look for an equilivant to the oe tires or better. I think it's best to stick to the same LR, loadrange.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #6

My originally came with Michelins. Got 38,000 miles on those without any issues at all. Recently replaces them with another set of Michelins. Got 5,000 on the new set so far no issues.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #7

Rv tires

Don't buy michellin tires for an rv application. They have sidewall cracking issues. I purchased a pair of hankook tires last year. The reviews I read suggest toyo or hankook tires are a good choice. We will see if hankook are good or not in a few years.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
Site Team

After 2 sets of Michelins, I got away from them for just that reason. Sidewall cracks that were not addressed by the dealer properly.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #9

Exactly to your question. I can't tell which tire manufacturers make tires for RV's based on information on their websites.
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
Site Team

I would start with a tire comparable to the one that came on it. A Class C rv is essentially a truck tire. Mine are LT= light truck tires.

A travel tire tire that is designated ST, is designed for trailers only so don't even consider those for a motor home.

Lots to learn about tires, maybe find a highly recommended local truck tire dealer for consultation.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #11

After an alignment issue killed the OEM Michelin fronts
I put a set of Nexgen LT tires on.
Seemed like they were quieter and smoother than before.
After rear Michelins started cracking I put 4 Nexgens on the rear.
Much better ride and quieter also.
I have seen some negative comments on this brand but we had good
luck. They were around $110 online
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:10 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Jayco 3100 tires

Tires for 31 ft. Dreadnought

The 31 footers seem to need a little extra

I sold my Winnie 24ft. (small bed) Got a 2003 Jayco 3100

Just 2 of us and a dog - not much stuff - we do tow a small MC trailer enclosed 3500#

- I took off the 2 year old GY Wrangler HT of that Winnie and swapped for the 5 year old tires on the Jayco (so I would have the newer tires ) and sold the Minnie.

That 24 Minnie left Florida about a month ago and is now in California via the Rocky Mountains with the 5 year old no name brand tires that was on the Jayco

My 31 Jayco - just blew up an inner Driver side tire after only 100 miles.
Not so good on E450 Jayco dreadnought.

I do see the consistent talk about the E450 31ft being very heavy can't carry much - but still use the same wheel tire combination as an E350 Box truck. Going by my weights I was about maxed out - If I add the actual capacity of what the Load E can carry - it's about almost 1K more than published - Tires seem to be the biggest limiting factor on Class C.

I really thought the GY Wranglers would be up to the task. So now I am hunting. ( my concern is not how smooth a ride or anything other than warm weather highway).

I see a lot of people who love Michelin XPS Rib LT225/75R16 115 being steel belted sidewalls - I saw a review from a guy with same 31 that blew up the Michelins it came with , then GY, then went to XPS and did 6k miles no problem

I saw some other talk about 121 rated tires ( that would be 3000K vs 2500K load)

Nexen CT8L 225/75R16C 121 (C at end being commercial and a euro spec of 83 psi)

Michelin Aglis, Continental Vanco & Toyo H09 ( same 121 specs )

Some of these tires are standards on commercial sprinters

I think I'm replacing the 4 DRW with Michelin XPS - In Florida we always have issues with side wall cracks because of sun. So keep them covered up
Paradiddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Has anyone replaced their tires recently? If so, what brand and tire did you go with? Thanks in advance. Daniel

The new Ford chassis is coming with Hankook tires. They seem to be OK so far, I ran 75 in the rain the other day, and they handled that fine.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #14

Ditto, was on way back from Yellowstone and had a driver rear blowout on my Mich tires. Bit scary. Both outer and inside blew. If you looked at them they appeared to look almost new. I ended up getting 10 ply tires (sorry don't know name brand as RV is in shop getting wheel alignment.)

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #15

I have the Hankook tires on my Redhawk. I only have 14k miles on them. I watch them like a “hawk”, so far I’m happy with them. They seem to be holding up well. I did a little research on them when I got the rig, they have good reviews. Only time will tell.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
The new Ford chassis is coming with Hankook tires. They seem to be OK so far, I ran 75 in the rain the other day, and they handled that fine.
We have put about 8000 miles on our 2020 Greyhawk and I have no complaints with the Hankooks. They even kept us going in a heavy snow squall last December when we parked in the hotel back lot in 12" of snow.
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:

I assume your Class-C came on Ford or Chevy chassis. Was there anythng specific you didn't like about the tires that came OE on your RV/ If not then why not get more of the same brand tires?
Jus be sure the size and Load Range is the same as that controls the inflation needed and the load capacity of the tires.
You will find that the major tire companies Goodyear, Bridgestone, General, Firestone, Michelin all make the size and load range you currently have. This means you can select a brand with a a lot of dealers across America and with reasonable warranty on the tires.

Please do not just shop on lowest price as there are some cheap tires out there that do not have a dealer network or good warranty.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #18

Ditto!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle1 View Post
Tires for 31 ft. Dreadnought

The 31 footers seem to need a little extra

Yes 31' definitely need LR-E and would always run 80 psi. Might even consider larger tires if they can fit.

I sold my Winnie 24ft. (small bed) Got a 2003 Jayco 3100

Just 2 of us and a dog - not much stuff - we do tow a small MC trailer enclosed 3500#

- I took off the 2 year old GY Wrangler HT of that Winnie and swapped for the 5 year old tires on the Jayco (so I would have the newer tires ) and sold the Minnie.

That 24 Minnie left Florida about a month ago and is now in California via the Rocky Mountains with the 5 year old no name brand tires that was on the Jayco

My 31 Jayco - just blew up an inner Driver side tire after only 100 miles.
Not so good on E450 Jayco dreadnought.

I do see the consistent talk about the E450 31ft being very heavy can't carry much - but still use the same wheel tire combination as an E350 Box truck. Going by my weights I was about maxed out - If I add the actual capacity of what the Load E can carry - it's about almost 1K more than published - Tires seem to be the biggest limiting factor on Class C.

I really thought the GY Wranglers would be up to the task. So now I am hunting. ( my concern is not how smooth a ride or anything other than warm weather highway).

I see a lot of people who love Michelin XPS Rib LT225/75R16 115 being steel belted sidewalls - I saw a review from a guy with same 31 that blew up the Michelins it came with , then GY, then went to XPS and did 6k miles no problem

I saw some other talk about 121 rated tires ( that would be 3000K vs 2500K load)

Nexen CT8L 225/75R16C 121 (C at end being commercial and a euro spec of 83 psi)

Michelin Aglis, Continental Vanco & Toyo H09 ( same 121 specs )

Some of these tires are standards on commercial sprinters

I think I'm replacing the 4 DRW with Michelin XPS - In Florida we always have issues with side wall cracks because of sun. So keep them covered up

Bet the tire failure was from low air. What do you set the tires to for cold inflation pressure?
Didn't you get a warning from your TPM system?
Old 06-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
Ditto, was on way back from Yellowstone and had a driver rear blowout on my Mich tires. Bit scary. Both outer and inside blew. If you looked at them they appeared to look almost new. I ended up getting 10 ply tires (sorry don't know name brand as RV is in shop getting wheel alignment.)

Load Range E is the equivalent of the old 10 ply rating. Tires have not had those number of ply for 40 years. Radials usually have 2 radial body ply and two steel belts and many also have a Nylon cap under the tread.

If you had both rears fail then most likely one lost are which overloaded the other tire by 100% so then it failed. A Tpms would have warned you and might have saved the cost of 2 tires.