Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #21

Two step ladders and a long 2X10 makes a really handy setup for working 'at altitude'. There are also metal frames you can attach to regular ladders to set a 2X10 on but I haven't used them.

A few days ago I worked on old bugs and tar while washing the fiberglass trailer. The front of our little hybrid with it's hatch assembly catches a lot of wind and debris. Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover worked really well when allowed to set for a few minutes then scrubbed off with several used dryer sheets. Needed second application for some major cooked-on chunks. To my delight it also easily removed messy silicone edges from my misspent efforts at sealing. (Now it's dicor, butyl tape, or OSI Quad only.) I finished with a coat of carnauba paste wax and then a coating of Turtle Wax Ice Seal and Shine. I'm hoping the bugs with go sliding off into outer space when they hit the slick surface. We'll see. : )

It's exciting to be finally prepping and planning for the RV season. Best wishes to all for a successful, happy, safe camping season ahead!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #22

I used the same type of sponge that Lake Huron used and used it with a extendable handle that has velcro on it. I use it to wash the whole RV also. To wax I use a extendable Swiffer with Microfiber pads. I spend a lot of time detailing all my vehicles and though the ceramic waxes seem to work on most vehicles it did nothing on the motorhome.
bmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #23

I realize I'm pretty late answering on this. I use a combination of detailing clay for removing the bugs and chemical guys jetseal to protect it 1x per year. I use a 6' rolling bakers' scaffolding and between it and from the roof can get the whole cap. The clay does an awesome job of pulling all the crud off (black, gray, white streaks included) 2nd pic shows driver's side after clay and passenger side without.
We're trying a ceramic hybrid by turtle wax spray and shine on my father's Eagle with gel front. It seems to be holding up as well as my jetseal and it is spray on while wet and buff off, which is quite a bit easier than hand-applying and buffing off of my product.
Attached Thumbnails
0304181353_HDR.jpg   0304181353a_HDR.jpg   0304181353.jpg  
Old 06-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #24

We used the dryer sheets as well. Its amazing how well it works,and cheap.
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I have cleaned my cap a couple times while it’s raining. Bugs have been soaking for a couple hours and tend to be easier to get off.
Maybe a similar option would be to clean it early morning before the sun gets on it, soap it down real heavy and let it soak in before scrubbing.
Lol! I just did that. Truck and camper. Don’t need a shower today.haha
Als1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #26

We are in the process of collecting our final bugs. A good friend and dealer said to take our rig to a good body shop ( has to go anyway since we tore 1/3 of the back off at a pump guard) and have them apply the same coating used on cars when they are repaired and painted. He said thats the only way to stop the damage from sun and bugs. Says it runs about $1800. Will update after its done in October.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #27
CAG

The best way to stop the sun damage and to make the bugs less likely to stick is a good wax or polymer every 6 months or so. I prefer Rejex but I am sure you will get other suggestions here.

The coating he is probably talking about is the same thing they try to sell you when you buy a car or RV and they are doing all of the add-on at the end of the sale. It likely will do nothing to help. You still need to wax and are our $1800 that will buy lots of wax. Coatings along with interior seat treatments and the like are a big money maker for the dealers. In my opinion a scam.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #28

At my age I tend to oversize everything having to do with height. I use a 2x12x12. I span this between to A frame style ladders. I bought my second latter on amazon and I then span at the appropriate height two 2x4’s on each side with holes drilled thru the plank and the 2x4’s. No fear fo the plank slipping as bolted together. On the road so can’t post a picture. Works well and wide enough you just drive under it.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #29

I used Rejex for the first time on Pinnacle cap a few weeks ago then took a ~1,000 mile trip, had Some bugs on cap, not as much as tow vehicle, ran into some rain, bugs on cap almost non existent, bugs on front of tow vehicle (No Rejex) pretty thick. I’ll be using Rejex from now on.
thelfrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #30

x2 on the RejeX. My first trial on RV was an absolute success. It is now on all my vehicles.
stmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote