Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #1

Cleaning and waxing the Front Cap

Yesterday I was putting the first coat of was on my new 26XD
(got it last week) and again I had to do battle with getting the front cap clean then waxing it. I've tried all kinds of brushes and have applied many different types of protection, on my previous Class C but to get the real tough stuff, sun/hot wind fried bugs and such, elbow grease is needed. The Freedom Elite I just traded in was difficult but this Jayco overhang seems longer making it harder to get the center done. I have thought of putting 2 six foot ladders on the sides then sliding a 2x10 through the foot landings that would have the board clear the hood. That would get me closer maybe getting better access. Yesterday to get to the top center section,I laid myself down on the roof and stretched out over the overhang. As I was steering at the hood, I decided to finally ask for suggestions here.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #2

I have cleaned my cap a couple times while it’s raining. Bugs have been soaking for a couple hours and tend to be easier to get off.
Maybe a similar option would be to clean it early morning before the sun gets on it, soap it down real heavy and let it soak in before scrubbing.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsouce View Post
Yesterday I was putting the first coat of was on my new 26XD
(got it last week) and again I had to do battle with getting the front cap clean then waxing it. I've tried all kinds of brushes and have applied many different types of protection, on my previous Class C but to get the real tough stuff, sun/hot wind fried bugs and such, elbow grease is needed. The Freedom Elite I just traded in was difficult but this Jayco overhang seems longer making it harder to get the center done. I have thought of putting 2 six foot ladders on the sides then sliding a 2x10 through the foot landings that would have the board clear the hood. That would get me closer maybe getting better access. Yesterday to get to the top center section,I laid myself down on the roof and stretched out over the overhang. As I was steering at the hood, I decided to finally ask for suggestions here.
I have the same issue reaching and cleaning mine. For now I use a single 6 ft step ladder and move it around the front for the lower half. Then from the roof I lay down on my stomach and reach over as far as I can to get the upper half. The middle sections is definitely the toughest to reach. I was thinking of using two 6 ft step ladders with a walk board as well like you are thinking. But just have not tried it yet.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

I did mine a few weeks ago, and used a tip I saw here. I took my aluminum extension ladder, and cut two pool noodles (you could also use plumbing pipe insulation), and put the noodles on the inside edge of the ladder. This allowed me to rest the ladder on the front of the cap without scratching. Then, I just moved it left and right to get to the different areas.

I also had to go up top to get the section by the clearance lights too...

Also, if anyone knows of a GREAT wax or coating to use on the cap to keep the bugs from sticking, I'm all ears. I don't care about the type of wax for the sides, as my vinyl wrap doesn't need waxing. But getting those inbedded bugs off the cap is a real PIA!!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #5

2020 SLX Gray 2 Tone Wax Issue

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, I can't find any other posts. Does anyone wrestle with waxing their SLX model with the Light Gray Smooth and Dark Gray Matte Aluminum Exterior? The wax is almost impossible to remove from the "Matte" or dark gray parts of the exterior. Wax removes just fine from the smooth gray exterior parts. I'm wondering if something like armor all would be a better protectant. Any solid experience at protecting these dark portions of the aluminum exterior would be a great help. Thanks
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
CAG

Rejex! and I have used it on the front cap (s) for years. Keep it fresh at about every 6 months and bugs flush off easily with the hose.

https://rejex.com/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #7

Thanks for that info. I checked the Rejex web site and I saw numerous combinations of product. Which one item or combination do you use. This looks like just what I've been looking for.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #8
CAG

RejeX high gloss finish that protects

The 16 oz size will be plenty for the RV. I usually would get the entire 37 foot toy hauler and at least one vehicle out of that size. It goes along ways.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #9

I use a great product called Bugs n all. Melts bugs away, along with black streaks, without removing your wax! Just spray it on, let it set a couple minutes, and easily scrub away those nasty bugs. It melts them away. Great product, available on Amazon, eBay, or their web site.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:44 AM   #10

I second the Bugs N All. I saw a post on another forum where somebody bought two rolling scaffolds and merged them into one capable of spanning the hood. Wish I could find the post again or plans to build one. The front cap is quite a challenge.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Rejex! and I have used it on the front cap (s) for years. Keep it fresh at about every 6 months and bugs flush off easily with the hose.

https://rejex.com/
I use Rejex too. Easy on, easy off. I use it for the entire motorhome. Very satisfied.
Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #12

I don't know how bugs even exist. The front of my 5er kills so many. Start of the season I clay bar the entire front cap and them wax it with Wizards Shine Master. Just before we leave to head out I'll hit it with Wizards Mist and Shine and go bug killing. Once I get back home, 90% of them come off with a soft deck brush on a 5' thread on pole. The stubborn ones need the bug pad like these;
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flp-8900-...ity-3/40744515

I've seen threads on here of people using these ceramic wax products and swear by them. I know the Wizards line has one. I haven't used one but I've seen first hand how stuck on bugs come off with a garden hose.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #13

I’ve tried everything to get to the cab-over to clean it. I second the Suggestion if the 2 stepladders and a 2x10 it works perfectly. You can reach everything really easily.
Mcspaho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #14

I have an expandable 10' ladder. I lay a piece of foam rubber between the cap and the ladder. I use Maquire's Ultimate wax and the bugs clean off pretty easily.
ledoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #15

Top Coat F-11 is another coating similar to Rejex that goes on easily, and makes it much, much easier to remove bugs and stuff. Get the surface nice and clean, apply 2 or 3 coats of F11, and renew with another coat or two every 6 months or so. The label says it is also good for matt surfaces, but I have no personal experience with that.

https://www.amazon.com/TopCoat-F11-M.../dp/B076R7FKYP
2018 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.2 gas
Bailey (Std. Poodle 12 yrs) and Zeke (PartiPoodle 6 yrs)
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
Site Team

I tried a small bottle of Rejex. Applied one coat this week for a trial. It may need more than one application to get the shine I was looking for.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #17
TJR

For access I used to back my tow truck under the overhang on 5th wheel and work off the pickup bed. A plank across the bed rails is a good option to get a little higher as s-is short ladders.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #18

X2 on the hillbilly scaffolding.
Wtrboy502000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #19

I've cleaned bugs off using a dryer sheet.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #20

And i give up with my disabilities and the wife too scared to go on roof or ladders. Have resorted to calling out my preferred rv detailer to polish and seal it every 6 months.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote