Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Coach batteries disconnect at will

We have a 2008 Seneca 34 HD motorhome. The coach batteries will sometimes disconnect at random and then we have trouble getting them connected again with the disconnect switch by the door. Anyone else have an issue like this? Should I replace the disconnect solenoid?
Roy Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:24 AM   #2

It does sound like a bad solenoid or perhaps the wire to power the solenoid is compromised.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #3

Thanks Mike, I believe you are correct. I have run a temporary bypass wire until I can replace the solenoid with a more positive control manual switch.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #4

I would consider replacing the solenoid with another solenoid, as I assume Jayco used that for a reason. If you do go with a switch, make sure you get a true battery disconnect switch rated for high amperage.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #5

Roy, although a few years apart my owners manual says that if you depress the 12V disconnect switch for more than one second it will permanently disconnect the batts and you have to reset by disconnecting the ground at the house batteries. Not good at electronics but sounds like a different switch would work better…i.e., momentary contact switch.

Maybe yours works the same.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #6

Thanks Walt, that could be so here also. the trouble actually started when the disconnect switch was mistakenly pushed instead of the awning retract button located right next to it. The problem now is that it disconnects by itself when it feels like and this shuts down all the 12 volt in the coach, even the air conditioning thermostat. We have a small dog that stays in the motorhome from time to time and we don't want to risk a/c failure when we are away as it can get deathly hot in there. I am a mechanic by trade and I believe the disconnect switch is located there for convenience only reasons, and will replace the solenoid with a heavy duty pole switch as was used in older heavy equipment applications.