Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #1

Coach Too Old

I saw in several campgrounds wanting the age of coach, what is too old for a coach to be on the road ? Ours is a 09 and in excellent shape yes it has a nick or two and a decal cracking on the back. A lot people who see it are surprised for some reason it is a 09. I was curious out their what you think is too old for the road or campground as one campground said on its site.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #2

I have been to several high end campgrounds which are MH only and don't allow anything more than 10 years old on property without approval. I guess they are trying to keep the image up for the expensive rates they charge.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #3

There's no such thing as being too old for the road. If a unit is maintained or restored, and is safe and reliable enough to operate, then I'd consider it roadworthy.

If I'm understanding your questions correctly, you're also asking about campgrounds that are more exclusive and will turn away RV's with deteriorated appearance. What is your question with that? Were you turned away or just wondering if you'd be admitted?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

You’re questioning whether an 09 is too old??!! Time for a reality check and a chill pill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I have been to several high end campgrounds which are MH only and don't allow anything more than 10 years old on property without approval. I guess they are trying to keep the image up for the expensive rates they charge.
As a business model, it makes sense. If there's a demand for "upscale" campgrounds with a little more of a country club ambience, then by all means, somebody should cater to it.

There's really no rational reason for me to feel that slight pang upon realizing a campground I'm considering won't allow me in. The pang only lasts about five seconds, until I realize they're serving a legitimate market, not excluding me for some dark reason. But, I digress.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #6

Sounds like the kind of place I wouldn't be comfortable anyway
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Sounds like the kind of place I wouldn't be comfortable anyway
X 2. Or the kind of place I can afford, lol.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #8

No never turned away, just a few I had looked at said RV over ten years old not permitted in park.I thought strange if coach was maintained and not the Partridge family bus. Yes you were right a lot of them were costly
Old 01-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #9

Too old? 09 too told? Man I just bought an 06 6 months ago and that's like a huge upgrade to me.

I bought a different pickup 2 years ago. I was talking to a guy at work and asked what year of pickup I bought. It's an 07 GMC Sierra. He goes "Oh and old one!" At the time I was driving a 94 Grand Cherokee to work everyday to keep the miles off the pickup. I just laughed at him.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #10

I still drive my 06 GMC keep putting it together, I just laughed at the campgrounds asking me the age of coach, We really like our 09 and I keep in in tip top shape always thinking ahead what should be changed out this year like hoses before long etc.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 AM   #11

I just checked Tiger Run, an upscale place in Breckenridge and they say anything over 20 and they want to see it; photos of inside and out.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #12
Site Team

Some don't want you if your rig is over 10 years old. I think that is a ballpark figure to keep junk out, but I have seen some old units in great shape and those groups are welcomed.

If you travel a lot, you become aware of the cg's that don't care who stays or how long.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #13

Coach Too Old

I've seen this for seasonal site applications where the CG will not rent seasonal sites to rigs that are over 10 years old. My CG is like this. However, it doesn't mean that once your rig hits 10 years of age you have to remove it. It simply means that they will not start a new lease with a rig over 10 years old. They also require that you wash your rig at least twice a season while on the site to keep up appearances.

It also means that should I decide to sell my newer than 10 year old rig and give up my site, I can offer the site to a prospective buyer if they choose to keep the rig there.
This is a good incentive for a buyer (and me as the seller) that wants to keep the rig on a seasonal site. They can just move right in without the hassle of finding a seasonal spot for it. Seasonal sites are getting harder and harder to find as the industry continues to boom.

I'm not a traveling weekend camper so I was unaware that GC's have restrictions for weekend/weekly campers on RV age.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Some don't want you if your rig is over 10 years old. I think that is a ballpark figure to keep junk out, but I have seen some old units in great shape and those groups are welcomed.
We are older but in great shape!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #15
Site Team

10 years is the rule of thumb. Most of the CG's allow your to camp (short stays) if your RV is older than 10 years old, but they reserve the right to put you in a site that is out of sight. A lot of CG's require that if you have a seasonal spot your RV is a max of 10 years old, and it is not negotiable.

When we were camping in CO someone came into the CG with an old TT. The paint was faded, parts of the decals were missing, even had duct tape on the LP tank cover and it looked like it was never washed. They got the spot way in the back of the CG, all by them selves. Nice people, just a little regular maintenance issue.

Just across the GA line from FL there is a CG along 75 and up front are all campers and in the back are a lot of OLD, really old... TT's that are seasonal and look bad. But they still let them stay ($$$)

That is why you need Adobe so you can make your own self stick RV information chart found on the outside and replace the one that came with the RV with the new 9 year old date.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #16

I’ve seen a few RV parks that will not allow RVs over 10 years old, so I know they are out there. Most of the RV Parks I stay at have no problem with the age of the RV given that the RV is not falling apart through lack of maintenance. I have a great deal of respect for some of the older RVs that have been well maintained and look good. I especially like seeing the retro RVs (the older rebuilt ones) and they seem to be popular these days. I don’t think those unit’s owners are having difficulty finding camp grounds that allow them to stay.