Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Cold Weather Greyhawk?

Hi,
In the planning on which Class C to buy when wife retires I am getting down to the Greyhawk 30Z and the Entegra Odyssey really being my two favorites.

I really like the large entertainment center in the 30Z (TV fanatic) I know one downside for most would be no ladder on the back but due to physical problems I don't belong on a ladder or a roof anyway. I like the larger shower, bed can be used w/out having to move the slide out, no plumbing in the slide.
Question:
How are Greyhawks for colder weather? I would like to visit New England in the fall and while traveling staying in areas where it could get into the 20's.
Does the Grehawk's stay reasonably warm in cooler weather? What about water lines and holding tanks?
Thanks!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Hi,
In the planning on which Class C to buy when wife retires I am getting down to the Greyhawk 30Z and the Entegra Odyssey really being my two favorites.

I really like the large entertainment center in the 30Z (TV fanatic) I know one downside for most would be no ladder on the back but due to physical problems I don't belong on a ladder or a roof anyway. I like the larger shower, bed can be used w/out having to move the slide out, no plumbing in the slide.
Question:
How are Greyhawks for colder weather? I would like to visit New England in the fall and while traveling staying in areas where it could get into the 20's.
Does the Grehawk's stay reasonably warm in cooler weather? What about water lines and holding tanks?
Thanks!
Below freezing Greyhawks are not going to be fun to keep heated and pipes from freezing. Not many Rv’s Are safe for use in below freezing weather. If it dipped into the 20’s or below for extended periods you will be in trouble.

I have camped in the winter in a previous motorhome and it used a ton of propane and water hose leading in froze so we had to fill water tank and use water pump. We survived but said never again.

There are some that are built for cold freezing weather like Arctic Fox but Greyhawks the simple answer is no.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #3

We owned a Greyhawk 31FS for 8 years. We have camped in temps below freezing a few times, with the coldest temps in the low 20s. The trip that it got into the low 20s was a five day trip with the first night being the coldest. We used 1/2 of our 56 lb propane in that 5 day trip. The last night was the first night it got above freezing.

It was a cold 4 nights, but we survived I don't mind the cold, but my wife does. Short term it was doable. We did unplug the water line each night and we ran the tank warmers each night. We placed 2 thermal curtains between the cab and the "house" which really helped to keep the cold air in the cab out of the house (kept heat out in the summer as well). Our Greyhawk had 2 slides, but having them out did not seem to affect temperature. We did dry camp a few nights below freezing with the living room slide in and out and it didn't make a difference.

We had no trouble keeping the inside warm even when temps got into the 20s, but the furnance did run a lot. Our daughter usually slept in the cab over, but when it got into the low 20s, she said it was too cold up there and would sleep on the fold out sofa bed. That doesn't seem like that'll be an issue for you since you won't have a cab over bed.

For a night or two, I think you'll be fine. If cold doesn't really bother you and you can sleep with a noisy furnace blowing often (I can't), you should be fine. I wouldn't want to stay in temps into the 20s for weeks on end, but for a few days it is livable.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #4

We too will routinely camp into the mid 20's -- at night. Anything lower than 20 and I'll winterize.

Here, we'll often warm back up above freezing during the day.

Plug in - the tank heaters take a lot of juice.

I have a 1500 heater/fan, set on low, in the "basement" keeping the waterworks warm. I have a 60 watt incandescent bulb in the 'fridge compartment keeping that area warm.

A handful of 99 cent thermometers scattered, and I check them frequently before going to bed, making sure things are warm.

No skirting, so the stuff underneath is exposed.

As others have said, the furnace runs - a lot.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #5

On our first three night shakedown trip in our Greyhawk 29MV, the temperatures dropped to the high teens, low twenties. It was so cold that the campground turned off the water each night at 7PM then back on at 9AM. We ate and showered before 7PM and filled a couple of one gallon containers with water for those late night emergencies (there was no water in the fresh water tank). I unhooked the water hose and put it in the shower stall so it would be pliable in the morning when the water was turned on. I also opened the low point drains and kept the tank heaters on. For interior heat, I used two 1,500 portable electric heaters and supplemented those with the furnace. We also let our 12 pound dog sleep with us since the floor was so cold. I, like Michael, don't sleep exceptionally well with the furnace constantly running, so we make good use of the electric units. All-in-all we did as well as we could in the cold, but we prefer the spring and fall.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
We too will routinely camp into the mid 20's -- at night. Anything lower than 20 and I'll winterize.

Here, we'll often warm back up above freezing during the day.

Plug in - the tank heaters take a lot of juice.

I have a 1500 heater/fan, set on low, in the "basement" keeping the waterworks warm. I have a 60 watt incandescent bulb in the 'fridge compartment keeping that area warm.

A handful of 99 cent thermometers scattered, and I check them frequently before going to bed, making sure things are warm.

No skirting, so the stuff underneath is exposed.

As others have said, the furnace runs - a lot.
pconroy - what part is the basement you refer to? We have an Envoy which is essentially the 29MVP floorplan. The area where the control valves are doesn't have any water lines actually in the storage area. I'd like to figure out where to put some heat to keep the lines from freezing. I have had frozen lines in temps as high as 26 - 28. I'd like to be able to keep the lines open down into the low 20's. Thanks!
GM'sEnvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #7

I think the key is how long and how cold. We too have used our 31DS in teens and 20s (Bryce Canyon in May). But it would warm into the 50's during the day. Under these scenario's pipes and such will potentially freeze during the night, but typically not a hard freeze as the residual heat tends to keep it to "slushy". Disconnect your fresh water hose and drain it (we left ours out but I just blew it out....good lung workout but makes you light headed so don't pass out). Turned on the tank heaters and open your cabinet doors wherever there is plumbing which allows the warmer interior air to keep your pipes above freezing. We did this for 5 nights without a problem.

We had one small ceramic heater that augmented the furnace. This fall I am going to try one of our Vornado heaters to see if it will do better than the ceramic, but it did really well, so we will see.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM'sEnvoy View Post
pconroy - what part is the basement you refer to? We have an Envoy which is essentially the 29MVP floorplan. The area where the control valves are doesn't have any water lines actually in the storage area. I'd like to figure out where to put some heat to keep the lines from freezing. I have had frozen lines in temps as high as 26 - 28. I'd like to be able to keep the lines open down into the low 20's. Thanks!
In the 31FK, the back storage area has the pump and lines behind a false wall and behind the valves. Might be a 31FK thing.

I plunk the heater in there and even on low, it'll warm up to mid 60's.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #9

Darn!
Sounds like we will have to head to Florida, MS, LA, TX, AZ when the weather gets cold.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #10

Our 31FK did okay for several days in Nashville, TN at Christmas. Daytime highs were mid 40s with lows around 28. We were boondocking at daughter’s apartment complex so no external power or water connection. Ran the gennie at night with furnace. We did burn through a lot of propane.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

Am I the only one that's thought about pouring Vodka into the fresh water tank? Purely to keep it from freezing.
That's all.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #12

If on hookups, I use two electric heaters so I don't use all the propane. I like heaters that have several or more levels of power; 800,1200,1500 watts so I can tailor the heat well with the thermostat on it. I make sure that both heaters are on different circuits so not to trip a breaker.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #13

One advantage to cold weather camping up here is that most of the sensible folk have left the campground.

That means you can drag an extension cord over to the pedestal next door and get an extra 20 amps coming in.

The coach will get pretty chilly so we do electric blankets. When it was five of us, we'd have four of them. They average about 500 watts each. So I had to figure that into the equation too.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #14

Camped many cold nights spring and fall in our Greyhawk FS from the high teens to freezing. Plumbing has only turned slushy once, as the inside temp of the coach will radiate heat and help keep the pipes from freezing.

Out west, however, these cold temps are usually just overnight and warm above freezing during the day. We use an electric blanket for us, and dress our kids warm and pile on the blankets. The heater runs a lot! Make sure the tank is full though, as it too will cause your furnace to sputter and shut down if not. If you are below freezing all day as well as night, a Greyhawk will not fare well unwinterized...
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:12 AM   #15

Thanks for all the good tips and information. They're all very appreciated! I'm learning from your experiences
Old 10-02-2018, 04:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
We placed 2 thermal curtains between the cab and the "house" which really helped to keep the cold air in the cab out of the house (kept heat out in the summer as well).
ichael
I never thought about the heat loss/gain from the front cab area to the coach................good point!
Does anybody make a thermal/insulated curtain that could be snapped in place or put on a curtain rod type idea?
My wife Caryl is hand as heck with a sewing machine so if nothing else we might be able to make something to help.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
I never thought about the heat loss/gain from the front cab area to the coach................good point!
Does anybody make a thermal/insulated curtain that could be snapped in place or put on a curtain rod type idea?
My wife Caryl is hand as heck with a sewing machine so if nothing else we might be able to make something to help.
My wife "re-purposed" the original bedspread to become our cab drape. It just tucks under the cab bunk Travasak and has cutouts for the bunk ladder hooks. It is quilted and does a good job isolating the cab area from the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
20150905_071028.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #18

That looks great! Super idea
Old 10-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #19

Any queen size or larger blanket, comforter or even sleeping bag does a good job. It is surprising how cold the cab gets compared to the rest of the coach. First few nights I discovered this I used the flimsy privacy drape but put my coat/sweatshirt over the gap at the bottom. Even that made a difference.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #20

Thanks for the additional ideas JD