Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-19-2023, 08:12 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Pa
Posts: 23
Coleman A/C not cooling

Hello friends,

Coleman Mach 15,000 BTU AC (model 48004) suddenly blows warm air. I checked wire connections at the thermostat and control board, all seem intact. Thereís 12V going from thermostat to compressor. Cooling coils look a little dusty and warm to touch. I had a tech look at the unit, he said that compressor runs normal and suspects a puncture in AC line.

Does anyone have experience replacing parts on these units or it is better off replacing the entire unit? Thank you.
Dmitry103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,251
Someone else will chime in, but Iíve read over the years these units are typically replaced instead of fixing.
__________________
2017 Eagle HT 26.5BHS Sold
2019 Eagle 321RSTS Sold
2024 Grand Design 310GK
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 08:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson
Posts: 661
Does the compressor attempt to start? If YES, do you hear a humming noise when it attempts to turn over?
__________________
2018 Dodge RAM 2500 / Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2018 White Hawk 28RL
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 08:34 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Pa
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
Does the compressor attempt to start? If YES, do you hear a humming noise when it attempts to turn over?
There is a humming noise coming from the compressor when I set it to COOL AUTO.
Dmitry103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Troy
Posts: 1,379
You didn’t say how old this AC is.
Do you have access to a clamp on ammeter? Or does your RV have an ammeter built in? The AC should be pulling 8 to 10 amps on the blue wire going to the compressor if clamp on meter. If your RV has meter around 12 amps when fan and compressor running. Low amps=low refrigerant in unit. High amps= possible dirty coils. No amps on blue or 4 amps total, compressor not running, possible control board replacement necessary.
If low amps, replace the unit.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:44 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Pa
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
You didnít say how old this AC is.
Do you have access to a clamp on ammeter? Or does your RV have an ammeter built in? The AC should be pulling 8 to 10 amps on the blue wire going to the compressor if clamp on meter. If your RV has meter around 12 amps when fan and compressor running. Low amps=low refrigerant in unit. High amps= possible dirty coils. No amps on blue or 4 amps total, compressor not running, possible control board replacement necessary.
If low amps, replace the unit.
The AC is about 7 years old. Yes, I have a clamp on meter. Thank you for the detailed explanation about amp draw, going to check that later today.
Dmitry103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
craigav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,716
When you stated you hear a humming noise, was the noise, if you could tell, that the compressor is running or just humming and not running?

What I suspect which is fairly common is that you have a bad Capacitor and they are not hard to replace. You would need to turn the power off, take the top cover off the a/c, locate the capacitor, and then get the part number off of it (or you may be able to lookup the correct capacitor based on the A/C model number).

Be sure to disconnect the power first, then with a insulated screwdriver short the terminals of the capacitor as there could be residual power in it, then inspect the capacitor for leakage, bulging, swollen, etc... or just replace it. If you have a capacitor tester that would be the best test but any visual indications would also be valid.

Again, the capacitor is not hard to replace and they commonly fail and will keep the compressor from running and often create a humming sound. ~CA

Perhaps this one, but you need to check what you have already or do a parts lookup to be sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-14995...31401389&psc=1
__________________
2010 GreyHawk 31SS
craigav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 10:03 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry103 View Post
There is a humming noise coming from the compressor when I set it to COOL AUTO.
Change the capicitor. Just changed the one on my neighbors 10 year old trailer and fixed. They go out quite often. Amazon has them for $14

Without a working cap the compressor can’t turn over. I used a tester (cheap on Amazon also) to confirm it was bad. More likely it’s the cap over anything else, and for $14 it’s worth a shot. My guess its a 50-5 Mf @ 370V
__________________
2018 Dodge RAM 2500 / Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2018 White Hawk 28RL
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 10:03 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
craigav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,716
They are cheaper on Ebay. I suspect this is the correct one but again, check yours first and\or spend more time than I did in verifying your A/C model number and the correct capacitor. Many websites should have them as well as many electrical supply parts houses may have one locally for you if you are needing to fix your A/C asap. ~CA

Update, Scott in the above post stated 14$ on amazon which sounds about what I paid for one not too long ago. I didn't do a deep check for prices on amazon when I shared the link from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
__________________
2010 GreyHawk 31SS
craigav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:42 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Pa
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
They are cheaper on Ebay. I suspect this is the correct one but again, check yours first and\or spend more time than I did in verifying your A/C model number and the correct capacitor. Many websites should have them as well as many electrical supply parts houses may have one locally for you if you are needing to fix your A/C asap. ~CA

Update, Scott in the above post stated 14$ on amazon which sounds about what I paid for one not too long ago. I didn't do a deep check for prices on amazon when I shared the link from Amazon.
Thank you for suggestion & the link. I already replaced it hoping for an easy fix, but no luck. Later today Iíll test compressor terminals, check amp draw and go from there. Anything other than the control board, Iíll probably end up replacing the entire unit. Itís 7 years old at this point.
Dmitry103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 12:57 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Troy
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry103 View Post
Thank you for suggestion & the link. I already replaced it hoping for an easy fix, but no luck. Later today Iíll test compressor terminals, check amp draw and go from there. Anything other than the control board, Iíll probably end up replacing the entire unit. Itís 7 years old at this point.
Need a video to watch about these AC units?
Go to YouTube. Search for HillbillyRV channel. Very well explained. He has a few on Coleman units.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 02:36 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
They are cheaper on Ebay. I suspect this is the correct one but again, check yours first and\or spend more time than I did in verifying your A/C model number and the correct capacitor. Many websites should have them as well as many electrical supply parts houses may have one locally for you if you are needing to fix your A/C asap. ~CA

Update, Scott in the above post stated 14$ on amazon which sounds about what I paid for one not too long ago. I didn't do a deep check for prices on amazon when I shared the link from Amazon.
thats about right. Caps have gotten so cheap these days you can actually have them show up dead before you get a chance to use it. As a retired Trane guy of 28 years it was getting so bad at the end you had to stock all kinds of caps because they failed so much.
__________________
2018 Dodge RAM 2500 / Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2018 White Hawk 28RL
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:11 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Pa
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
You didnít say how old this AC is.
Do you have access to a clamp on ammeter? Or does your RV have an ammeter built in? The AC should be pulling 8 to 10 amps on the blue wire going to the compressor if clamp on meter. If your RV has meter around 12 amps when fan and compressor running. Low amps=low refrigerant in unit. High amps= possible dirty coils. No amps on blue or 4 amps total, compressor not running, possible control board replacement necessary.
If low amps, replace the unit.
AC pulls around 4amps on that wire. Tech who came out confirmed that the compressor is running. Iíll start looking for a new AC unit. Thank you for the help.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. Happy camping!
Dmitry103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry103 View Post
AC pulls around 4amps on that wire. Tech who came out confirmed that the compressor is running. Iíll start looking for a new AC unit. Thank you for the help.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. Happy camping!
That's what I had to do. Buy a replacement.
Caps didn't help.
Nothing helped.

Didn't even see evidence of a leak.
__________________
2016 Greyhawk 31FK
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:26 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Pa
Posts: 23
Update:

Out with the old, in with the new. I replaced the unit with a power saver model this morning. Straightforward installation, took a little over an hour. The best part is that power saver model runs on household 20amp service. Thanks again for the tips and suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
3E426A0E-62C0-4AEB-BE0D-58F8E2C5AB4A.jpg   3D669E8D-54D7-494F-9F67-73AD4D978CCF.jpg  
Dmitry103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:29 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 16,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry103 View Post
Update:

Out with the old, in with the new. I replaced the unit with a power saver model this morning. Straightforward installation, took a little over an hour. The best part is that power saver model runs on household 20amp service. Thanks again for the tips and suggestions!
Yep, as everyone has said, worse part of the job is getting the old one off and the new one on the roof...
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:58 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mexico Beach
Posts: 2,205
Grumpy is right, easy job except for getting the new one up there. What BTU is the power saver?
__________________
2024 Greyhawk 30Z
2023 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude Toad
2019 Ram 3500. Traded
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 11:04 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Pa
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Grumpy is right, easy job except for getting the new one up there. What BTU is the power saver?
15,000, same as last one. Yup, lifting the new one up on the roof was my morning workout lol
Dmitry103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 11:31 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Morehead City
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Yep, as everyone has said, worse part of the job is getting the old one off and the new one on the roof...
Old one off was easy! Just make sure no one is close by! Lol
__________________
2016 Jayco Precept 31 UL
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Hampstead
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry103 View Post
Hello friends,

Coleman Mach 15,000 BTU AC (model 48004) suddenly blows warm air. I checked wire connections at the thermostat and control board, all seem intact. Thereís 12V going from thermostat to compressor. Cooling coils look a little dusty and warm to touch. I had a tech look at the unit, he said that compressor runs normal and suspects a puncture in AC line.

Does anyone have experience replacing parts on these units or it is better off replacing the entire unit? Thank you.
1) How old is it? If it is more than 8 years old replace it.
2) If 5 Y.O. or younger, and it has lost refrigerant due to a leak, you need to find the leak, install a service fitting (brazing) pressurize the system with refrigerant if there is none in it, recover any refrigerant (Need a recovery machine and should have an EPA license for handling refrigerants)
Will need an account at an HVAC supply house to turn in the refrigerant
Evacuate to 500 microns or less, weigh in a new charge of refigerant most likely 410A

Unless you have the knowledge or tools as described above, it will be cheaper to replace it.
Have fun getting rid of the old unit safely and legally.

Now if it is an electrical problem, there may be hope.
If the evaporator/condenser fan motor is running, then you need to see if the compressor is not running as indicated by humming and hot to the touch.
It may just be the run capacitor for the compressor.

Sorry for being so long winded. I did HVACR for 50 years
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.