Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #1

Unhappy Coleman Mach 48004-966 Fan/Thermostat Issues

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone here can help. For a long time, our Coleman Mach 48004-966 (Roof A/C with Heat Pump) has worked in cooling mode EXCEPT would only run with Fan on Low. If you place the wall thermostat switch to fan High it will shut off.

Recently, while running, the fan stopped but the compressor stayed on. I did some research and found the likely culprit was the capacitor(s). I replaced both of them on this model, but the problem remains.

The most recent time I tried it today after replacing the capacitors, I turned the switch to Cool. It took around 30 seconds before the compressor turned on, then the fan kicked on and ran for about 15 seconds (on low). Then it started back up on its own and ran until I shut it off (by turning it to High). When I turned it back to Low the compressor started and the fan kicked in right away.

The manual says other issues related to this symptom could be selector switch, fan motor and wiring (e.g. anything). Does this behavior sound familiar? Could it be the wall thermostat? It's old and very flimsy.

Thanks in advance!

DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #2

Sounds very much like a Thermostat issue since that controls the fan and compressor separately through the control box inside the a/c.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #3

Here is the typical wiring for the thermostat that would be controlling your unit. It is not magic. It just sends 12 volts to each item to turn it on. You could measure the thermostat output with a voltmeter to see if is sending out what it should. The trick is to figure out the color wiring scheme Jayco may have used. Get the wiring diagram for your thermostat.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Here is the typical wiring for the thermostat that would be controlling your unit. It is not magic. It just sends 12 volts to each item to turn it on. You could measure the thermostat output with a voltmeter to see if is sending out what it should. The trick is to figure out the color wiring scheme Jayco may have used. Get the wiring diagram for your thermostat.
Thanks Jim. I've done that and can verify that the color scheme from the unit are the same as your example. I've already checked the voltage and got the proper readings (at the time anyway). I'm afraid it's going to be the control box in the ceiling unit.

DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #5

Color scheme means nada in these units with Jaycos sloppy work at times. At the time my brand new greyhawk rear AC had wires mismatched and compressor would not kick on until zi figured they had a wire in the wrong spot coming from the thermostat to the ac unit. I also upgraded to the digital tstat from a manual while i was at it. Once corrected all the functions worked where they should based on the tsat.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Color scheme means nada in these units with Jaycos sloppy work at times. At the time my brand new greyhawk rear AC had wires mismatched and compressor would not kick on until zi figured they had a wire in the wrong spot coming from the thermostat to the ac unit. I also upgraded to the digital tstat from a manual while i was at it. Once corrected all the functions worked where they should based on the tsat.
I have changed my analog thermostat to a digital stat both Coleman. I have no compressor just fan on cool???
KHabie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, capacitor, coleman mach