Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #1

Combo CO / Propane Alarm

Went to get the RV this weekend to clean it up a bit...get rid of the black lines, check the tires, etc. When I got in I heard this beep...pause... beep for a few times and then it stopped. Not the TPMS, so I guessed it was the gas alarm. Next time I started it up, went back to check and sure enough it was. So, get out the manual as I assume the battery needs replaced. But...the manual say no battery?!? I now need to dig through my manuals to see what else is up. Anyone else experience this?
Old 02-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #2

Ok, found the little book...still a tad confused, though. When I got in the RV, no sound, but when I started the engine the alarm beeped about 4 times and then quit. Only goes off when I start the vehicle. Flashed red when I first noticed, and then went to green. Beeps were not consecutive, but spaced about 7 to 10 seconds apart, for a few times and then stopped. Not covered in the manual...
Old 02-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #3

That's what happens when it powers up. I think it comes on with the ignition if you have the house batteries off. What happens if you turn the battery disconnect on without the ignition. Should do the same thing.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's what happens when it powers up. I think it comes on with the ignition if you have the house batteries off. What happens if you turn the battery disconnect on without the ignition. Should do the same thing.
Will check that when I go back up in a week or so. But that’s never done that before. It stopped after a few times and then only started again (for as few times) once I started the engine. I would think were it the actual alarm that it would continue?
Old 02-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #5

I’m not sure if I post here or where? I woke up to my CO detector going off. I friend my furnace off and pushed the reset button and the green light came back on. My furnace is still off. I am not sure what it went off or what I need to do next? Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.
roatanrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roatanrobin View Post
I’m not sure if I post here or where? I woke up to my CO detector going off. I friend my furnace off and pushed the reset button and the green light came back on. My furnace is still off. I am not sure what it went off or what I need to do next? Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.
CO alarms have a useful life of about 5 to 10 years. So if your alarm falls in that time frame, it might be time to get a new unit.

However whenever your CO alarm goes off, always err to the side of caution and assume there is a CO leak somewhere. I recommend having your furnace professionally checked for leaks.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:36 PM   #7

I had my unit go crazy after I sprayed Lysol in my rig after an illness. Come to find out many aerosols use propane as a propellant. It took weeks to get the thing aired out where the detector was totally happy.

One thing I did was buy a hand held gas detector and check all of my items. It never registered anything so I knew I was safe.

My detector would tend to go off after sitting overnight until I opened the door and let in fresh air. This went on for a couple of weeks. I finally rebooted the detector by killing 12 volt power using the battery disconnect switch. After that, the detector returned to normal operation.

Lastly, I read that farting dogs can set these things off.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:06 AM   #8

Finally had the chance to take my little book up with me to the RV this morning to check out the detector. Propane off (tank reads empty, and that's another question), turned on the generator to exercise it awhile and my little green indicator light came on, no issues. Let it run for a bit and switched gennie off. No alarms, all good.

Started the RV, and shortly after the indicator light wake up and I then hear the beep, going off 4 times every 5 to 10 seconds. Propane light comes on. I can then smell the exhaust inside the unit; never had that before. Any thoughts on why this would start up now, after two years? Nothing has been change or modified? I'm parked next to another unit on the one side, but that's always been the case. Concerned about taking it out in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #9

My detector was going off at random times and found out that Jayco has installed a bad batch. Mine was replaced under warranty. I know this is funny, but the dog once farted by the door and set the detector off. )
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote