Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
So... this thread had piqued my quest for additional technical knowledge. I have spent now over 4 hours of watching vendor videos, gonewiththewyns and another few hours on other RV boards that I follow.

So it will take about 60-80 Bowel movements they claim - take the middle of the road and go with 70. For a Family of 4 (with teenagers) that will get you about 12 days at best.

Some other questions still remain:
How do campgrounds feel about people taking their toilet out onto the picnic table to dump?

Where do you store a bale of peatmoss or Coconut fibre?

Where do you dispose of the waste in a National Park (you must pack out everything) do you put the bag on the back bumper until you leave??? "it is still classified as Sewage"
and here is the answer to the greater question... what are the laws that restrict it's use:
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...olids_rule.pdf
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #22

and the most entertaining and educational video from "the fit RV" folks -. you have to watch this!!!!

07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:43 AM   #23
Site Team

Talking

I can only imagine wondering what the federal law was before they simplified it with that document.

It's a interesting subject but not for me. If I see someone dumping their toilet on the picnic table, at least I ill know what is going on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:17 AM   #24

If I don't have a full hook up site, I take my black tank contents home and liquefy it trough a macerator and pump it in the woods. I have no neighbors nearby. I have a grass field across the street from me that they routinely pump thousands of gallons of liquefied cow poop on. Smells a little worse and a little longer than my 30 gallons
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I can only imagine wondering what the federal law was before they simplified it with that document.

It's a interesting subject but not for me. If I see someone dumping their toilet on the picnic table, at least I ill know what is going on.
At the end of the day, the Law is somewhat irrelevant since many if not most who use one of these CTs will finish up the outing by removing the bag of solids [aka 2 or 3 day old p**p] and throwing it in a black trash bag with the kitchen trash and then off to the CG dumpster without any more than a passing thought.

There is a mile of difference between the science of a CT and how the typical weekender or vacationer would use one. Most of our spouses would cringe at leaving a week's collection [dehydrated or mixed with Cnut fiber] in the RV until we use it again a couple months down the road. That bag will be removed and disposed of in the nearest dumpster or at the rest area on the way home.

My last comment on this is: There is a time and place for using a CT in an RV for the people who are committed to becoming enlightened and are dedicated to the necessary process from deposit to removal. Seasonal boondockers are a prime example. For the rest of the RVing community I say think before you drop $2grand and make sure DW is onboard with the decision.
Bye!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:25 AM   #26

For us, we have several things going for us in the use of the composting toilet. There will only be two individuals using it so that should give us at least a month before changing out the composting medium. Second, as we most-time in the RV with work, there may be times when I need to winterize the plumbing, and yet have a fully functioning toilet. For now, we will have to work through any problems on our own and I will post in one year and let you all know how it goes. I'll post installation pics soon for any one else considering it.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
One of the advantages that I perceive of never having sewage in the plumbing of this RV is that I am able to discard grey water onto the ground without ever having to worry it had been contaminated with black water bacteria.

Not that I have problem with dumping grey to ground (which I guess is a common practice for boondockers), I have yet to stay at a CG where this practice is allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #28

Are you certain it draws 1.7 watts, or 1.7 amps? A 1.7 watt fan seems like it would be a pretty weak fan. Just wondering.
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #29

I have since updated to a more powerful CPU fan and procured parts from eBay. Please PM me and I can email you the parts list from Amazon and eBay.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:34 AM   #30

Never in my trailer, no thanks, not interested in a composting toilet!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #31

I"m new to the Seneca and the macerator. I am trying to figure out how this thing is supposed to work. Are you saying that IF you use the small hose off the macerator when you empty your tanks, that you actually are emptying BOTH black and grey tanks in one motion? so do you not need to pull the two levers or open the main exit valve? On my other two RV's, the left handle was always the grey tank, and the handle on the right was always the black tank. When I recently emptied the tanks for the second time, it seemed like the macerator hose was the only hose with any waste?

Damian Neeld
2018.5 Seneca HJ
Carmel, IN
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneeld52 View Post
I"m new to the Seneca and the macerator. I am trying to figure out how this thing is supposed to work. Are you saying that IF you use the small hose off the macerator when you empty your tanks, that you actually are emptying BOTH black and grey tanks in one motion? so do you not need to pull the two levers or open the main exit valve? On my other two RV's, the left handle was always the grey tank, and the handle on the right was always the black tank. When I recently emptied the tanks for the second time, it seemed like the macerator hose was the only hose with any waste?

Damian Neeld
2018.5 Seneca HJ
Carmel, IN
No. You pull either the black or gray valve and dump the respective tank.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 seneca 36fk couch