Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2022, 03:40 PM   #1

Connect to shore power over winter?

I've been reading through several recent threads about power/battery issues and haven't seen this exact question covered. This is my first winter season with our new Greyhawk 29mv and I have 120v power available and inside storage. Can I connect to the power and not have to disconnect the batteries? Or it seems I read that this could over-charge the house batteries. And from what I've been reading, connecting to shore power would not prevent the chassis battery from potentially discharging over several months so it should be disconnected? Or go do a maintenance engine exercise every month to maintain the battery? Interested to hear what others do over winter.
Thanks in advance, Richard.
RVandTenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:05 PM   #2

I leave mine plugged in and I use a small charger\maintainer for the chassis battery. I have never encountered any issues in doing this. ~CA
Old 11-13-2022, 06:12 PM   #3
RPR

Ours stays connected to shore power but is outside. If it sits for a month the generator is cranked and run with a load for one hour. Engine is cranked and run till it gets to operating temperature.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVandTenter View Post
I've been reading through several recent threads about power/battery issues and haven't seen this exact question covered. This is my first winter season with our new Greyhawk 29mv and I have 120v power available and inside storage. Can I connect to the power and not have to disconnect the batteries? Or it seems I read that this could over-charge the house batteries. And from what I've been reading, connecting to shore power would not prevent the chassis battery from potentially discharging over several months so it should be disconnected? Or go do a maintenance engine exercise every month to maintain the battery? Interested to hear what others do over winter.
Thanks in advance, Richard.
When I had my 2019 29xk I would plug it in every 2 to 3 weeks for a day to charge the battery. I bought a charger that maintains the chassis battery and desulfates it. My 2021 Thor has a solar panel and it keeps all the batteries charged with the disconnect switch off, it's nice not needing the maintainer for the chassis battery
Old 11-13-2022, 08:59 PM   #5

Solar keeps my house batteries charged and I put a trickle charger on the chassis battery. In your case there should be no problem as your converter should be the newer style that tapers its voltage to various levels. Just remember to check the water levels now and then.

As far as the chassis battery is concerned, many new rigs come with a bi-directional relay that will charge the chassis battery from the house battery charging system. If you put a voltmeter on the chassis battery when the unit is plugged in and it shows 13 volts or more, it is being charged. Problem solved.

I wouldn't waste the gas using the large engine as a battery charger. Trickle charging is much cheaper.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Solar keeps my house batteries charged and I put a trickle charger on the chassis battery. In your case there should be no problem as your converter should be the newer style that tapers its voltage to various levels. Just remember to check the water levels now and then.

As far as the chassis battery is concerned, many new rigs come with a bi-directional relay that will charge the chassis battery from the house battery charging system. If you put a voltmeter on the chassis battery when the unit is plugged in and it shows 13 volts or more, it is being charged. Problem solved.

I wouldn't waste the gas using the large engine as a battery charger. Trickle charging is much cheaper.
And it's better for the battery
Old 11-14-2022, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
... the generator is cranked and run with a load ...
Might I ask what you use to create the load? The only thing I can think of that could run for an hour is the A/C. In the winter? For an hour?

ther
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:55 PM   #8
RPR

Here in Alabama even in the winter there are days where it is not a problem. Run AC a little. Heat up hot chocolate in the microwave.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
Might I ask what you use to create the load? The only thing I can think of that could run for an hour is the A/C. In the winter? For an hour?
During the summer I run the A/C and during the winter I run a small electric ceramic heater. Either one draws about 13 amps. The converter will add another few amps, depending on what charge mode I put it into.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:54 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input. I'll hook up to shore and check the chassis battery with the voltmeter to see if it's receiving some charge. unfortunately the indoor storage is 20 miles away so I can't just pop outside and check on everything.
RVandTenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:52 PM   #11

It is fine to be plugged in. If you have the OEM batteries they tend to be wet cells. You should check the fluid levels periodically. If the fluid level needs to be at minimum above the cells and below the bottom of the caps. If you need to add fluid, only use DISTILLED water, no other type of water.

The chassis battery is not connected to the coach wiring to keep it charged. So you might want to add a small battery maintainer or disconnect the battery.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post

ther
I have 2 electric heaters I use when it's cold and running the generator
Old 11-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #13

I installed a Trik-L-Start product on my Redhawk to keep my engine battery charged while plugged in. They are inexpensive and easy to install and work as advertised. You can just plug in your motorhome and forget it. All batteries will be fully charged.
#Love4Layla
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raines View Post
I installed a Trik-L-Start product on my Redhawk to keep my engine battery charged while plugged in. They are inexpensive and easy to install and work as advertised. You can just plug in your motorhome and forget it. All batteries will be fully charged.
Looks like a great product
Old 11-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #15

I’m new here with an older Jayco Designer that I just bought. We’re in the process of upgrading it for travel at the moment. We live in Minnesota so obviously very cold weather. Our RV is now parked next to the garage, so outside with a cover on it. My thinking is to start the chassis motor once a week and let it warm up to temp and at the same time plug in shore power until my batteries are topped off. That way the truck motor and tranny fluids are warmed up and circulated and the house batteries get charged. I would unplug the shore once batteries were sufficiently charged without risking over charging them. I’m new to this so let me know if I’m wrong or there’s a better way..

Thanx..
Spurr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #16

I plug in my chassis battery maintainer to one of the three 12vdc outlets in the cab area of my Alante 26ay and plug in the maintainer power cord into the 120vac receptacle in the right seat console. The maintainer sits on the floor in front of the right seat. I also plug in a digital volt meter to one of the other 12vdc outlets in the dash area so that I can always check the chassis battery voltage. It normally reads 12.6 volts.
DonLegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 02:14 PM   #17

connect to shore power/winter

our class c sits in our driveway when not on the road plugged in 24/7. use trickle charger on chassis batt. no issues since new 4 yrs ago. will use multi meter to check chassis batt. this week and report back. our class c is a 2019 Jayco 22j
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 02:46 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurr76 View Post
I’m new here with an older Jayco Designer that I just bought. We’re in the process of upgrading it for travel at the moment. We live in Minnesota so obviously very cold weather. Our RV is now parked next to the garage, so outside with a cover on it. My thinking is to start the chassis motor once a week and let it warm up to temp and at the same time plug in shore power until my batteries are topped off. That way the truck motor and tranny fluids are warmed up and circulated and the house batteries get charged. I would unplug the shore once batteries were sufficiently charged without risking over charging them. I’m new to this so let me know if I’m wrong or there’s a better way..

Thanx..
I'm for keeping the batteries charged up, but perhaps using a battery maintainer or two would be better. Even removing them and storing them in a warmer atmosphere like the basement, with maintainers attached.

The reason is that for the engine and transmission to get to full temperature you'd have to actually drive it for a minimum of 16 miles or longer, depending on the outside temperature. The colder it is, the longer it takes. Another consideration is the condensation generated in the exhaust system won't dry out, so water will collect inside, and can cause premature corrosion. I used to start a previous motorcycle once a month for the same reason, and it cost me a new, and expensive set of mufflers. Just my experience.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:00 PM   #19

Winter Storage

I store our 2021 Greyhawk 29 MVP in my barn plugged in for the winter with the Battery switch turned off and a trickle charger on the chassis battery. The house battery charges from the converter even if the battery switch is off. I run the generator every other month for about 1/2 hour under load of an electric heater. This works great.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:21 PM   #20

iI have a Melbourne an I connect 2 battery maintainers, one for coach and one for
chassis. I have a 7 day timer and run the maintainers for about 3.5 hours per night. This will not over charge or cause the water in the batteries to dry out. It has worked very well over the past seasons.
PAL70 is offline   Reply With Quote