Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #1

Connecting a motorhome to a L14-30 generator plug

I have an portable 5500 watt emergency generator at home (Hurricane preparation). I exercise this unit twice a year with a load. For the last ten years I plug in an electric heater into a 110 plug on the generator as the load to exercise the unit. I have been thinking that since I have the motorhome I could use the motorhome as the load I need to run the emergency unit.

The emergency generator has a four prong L14-30 twist plug that I could use to exercise the unit (with the use of an adapter). I researched and discovered that this four prong twist plug (L14-30) is two 110's, one ground, and one neutral as the four prong twist plug.

Although the four prong twist plug is rated at 30 amp, the fact that there are two 110 sources in that one plug bothers me greatly.

Can anyone tell me if that four prong twist plug is safe to connect to my Jayco Greyhawk 29MV 30 amp plug....??? Anyone out there have experience connecting a 30 amp cord (with the use of an adapter) of a motorhome or trailer to a 4 prong twist connection on a emergency generator ...???

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

Boudreaux,

This post on another forum explains it better than I could - just read down to about the 3rd reply to the post where the explanations start to include some diagrams.

Can Someone Please Explain The US 240v System...1 Or 2 Phases. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

There are also some good books you can buy on Amazon or at your local HomeDepot/Lowes that explain home wiring (which is 95% the same as RV wiring the difference being in not tying the ground/neutral circuits together).

Electricity is dangerous in so many ways - really educate yourself before you start messing with it.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
I have an portable 5500 watt emergency generator at home (Hurricane preparation). I exercise this unit twice a year with a load. For the last ten years I plug in an electric heater into a 110 plug on the generator as the load to exercise the unit. I have been thinking that since I have the motorhome I could use the motorhome as the load I need to run the emergency unit.

The emergency generator has a four prong L14-30 twist plug that I could use to exercise the unit (with the use of an adapter). I researched and discovered that this four prong twist plug (L14-30) is two 110's, one ground, and one neutral as the four prong twist plug.

Although the four prong twist plug is rated at 30 amp, the fact that there are two 110 sources in that one plug bothers me greatly.

Can anyone tell me if that four prong twist plug is safe to connect to my Jayco Greyhawk 29MV 30 amp plug....??? Anyone out there have experience connecting a 30 amp cord (with the use of an adapter) of a motorhome or trailer to a 4 prong twist connection on a emergency generator ...???

Your genset should have two or four 120VAC 15A receptacles on it. A 15A to 30A adapter would probably be a better choice than trying to adapt from the 240/120VAC 30A receptacle.

However, this is important, and often misunderstood: You need a single neutral-to-ground bonding point. Your backup genset will not have it since the house's panel provides it.

Read the link BuddyRay posted. When you understand what you are dealing with, go ahead. Otherwise, get a professional licensed electrician involved.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #4

I want to thank the people replying. I feel that I was not clear on my post (sorry).

I'm very concerned in the fact that the L14-30 has two 120 volt sources in the four prong twist plug. I know there are adapters out there to use on the four prong twist plug to the TT30 plug (standard 30amp motorhome plug).

My concern is, "will that adapter block the two 120 volts sources from hitting my coach system at once".

After additional research I have found that those adapter apparently do a good job of transferring the electricity from the L14-30 twist plug to the TT30 plug without danger of too much electricity.

Sorry if my post led anyone to believe I was considering the construct of some sort of wiring.

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote