Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2022, 11:54 AM   #1

Considering a small Redhawk Class C? Read this first.

This post is for the people who come to this forum trying to figure out if a small Jayco Class C is for them. We absolutely love our 2020 Redhawk 24B. The positives far outweigh the negatives. I too exhaustively researched before purchasing our RV.

We purchased new in Feb 2020 and compared to retail now, the dealer practically gave it to us. We have put over 12K miles on it in less than 2 years. It is powered by a beast of a V-10 and the Ford E-450 has a ridiculous amount of available cargo weight. As such, I drive with the fresh water tank full and I could never load the coach to the point of being overweight (not enough room). The V-10 is tried and true and is bulletproof. I can merge in traffic on a mountain grade with no worries. I feel confident knowing that if something goes wrong with the V-10 that the smallest Ford dealership in the smallest town can do the warranty work. If MPG is a concern to you, then you need to be looking at Class B vans instead of a 14K pound box with wheels.

We love it because there is no campground spot we can't fit in. No gas stationj we can't refuel at. We have not found a trail head parking lot that was not big enough for us. Nothing like returning from a hike to an ice cold frig and a clean private bathroom. On travel day I can stop anywhere and take 5 steps to the bathroom without going out in the rain. LOL. To explain, being able to access the RV's bathroom with the slide in is very important to us and it should be to you. Also, with 2 deep cell flooded batteries (my mod) and an on board generator, you can easily boondock without solar power. I simply hook a small inverter to the batteries, turn off the converter/charger and plug in a 20 amp shore power cord to the inverter. Wife can watch tv all night. Frig and water heater run off of propane. If I need the microwave or need to charge the batteries, I turn the generator on for a few minutes.

Now the bad. I have had an issue (the only issue knock on wood) with my power slide out which was repaired under warranty. Could the problem have been caused because I tried to open the slide when the bedroom dresser drawers were obstructing the slide trim and I did not notice right away? Probably. Manufacture defect? Maybe. Also the cab is noisy until you install sound proofing (my best diy mod. Thanks Jayco Forum!) There is almost no exterior storage. We use the cab overhead bed for storage of chairs, tables, e bike batteries, etc. There is no power fan in the bedroom vent. Have the dealer install one with a rain cover before delivery or you can diy. Otherwise, we have had no surprises or complaints with our RV.

The bottom line is that we are very happy with our Jayco 24B and consider it a good value for what we paid. Since the Covid RV rush started, the lack of quality control of new units is evident across all manufactures. I would suggest hiring a pro to spend a few hours inspecting your new RV, no matter the brand, before taking delivery. It will be worth every penny spent.
Snoopinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #2

As for outside storage, I agree. There seems to be plenty of room underneath to have some storage for at least folding chairs/tables. I know they make aftermarket under storage, but it would be nice from the factory.
TheOtherDodge is offline   Reply With Quote