Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

Considering adding a water tank

I purchased a 2012 Greyhawk Class C Motorhome. My only complaint is the water tank capacity. The specs say 37 gals, but that includes the water heater. It came with a tankless water heater, so we only have about 30 gals. We dry camp from time to time and I am finding that I need to haul water occasionally. I am considering mounting a tank in the rear compartment along the wall adjacent to where the water connections are located. I found a few online that would hold about 30 more gallons in that space. Is there any problem mounting a tank there as far as weight distribution, etc? Thanks in advance and Happy Camping!
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #2

with water, tank, holdowns, piping and maybe a pump you are pushing 300 extra pounds. I have no idea if you have the capacity for that additional weight to your rv.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #3

You will definitely need to reinforce the storage bay. They are just plastic boxes that are screwed in to the sides of the rv. I added 3 more batteries to one of the storage bays and had to put metal bars under the box to reinforce.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

A pint's a pound the world around. Every gallon of water is eight pounds. And you'll need a lot of additional water to make a meaningful difference. Our toad is a '96 Dodge Dakota 4 X 4. I put a saddle tool box across the bed behind the cab. The void under the tool box will fit a 30 gallon rotocast rectangular water tank perfectly. The Dodge is a mid sized truck, fairly light and the water tank will be slightly behind the center of the wheel base. The additional rolling weight won't effect our towing mileage much if at all. We'll be well with-in our tow weight limit. We plan to do a lot of boondocking and our water supply is critical.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatnmacoat View Post
A pint's a pound the world around. Every gallon of water is eight pounds. And you'll need a lot of additional water to make a meaningful difference. Our toad is a '96 Dodge Dakota 4 X 4. I put a saddle tool box across the bed behind the cab. The void under the tool box will fit a 30 gallon rotocast rectangular water tank perfectly. The Dodge is a mid sized truck, fairly light and the water tank will be slightly behind the center of the wheel base. The additional rolling weight won't effect our towing mileage much if at all. We'll be well with-in our tow weight limit. We plan to do a lot of boondocking and our water supply is critical.
I do the same we toad a GMC Canyon. In the bed of the truck I have a 50 gallon water tank. I have a transfer pump to pump it into the RV tank as needed. We boondock 95% of the time when we are on the road.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #6

I added 20 gallons to the GreyHawk 33DS (Kodiak Chasis)

There was large wasted space under the rig behind the rear axle.
With the addition of an two angle braces I was able to secure and strap it.
My installation was quick and easy; I used Pex and push connectors to plumb it.
I went online for poly and roto tanks (I could find the link...)
The dimensions for the envelope and fittings were clear and accurate so I knew what I was going to deal with.

Sure.. I can give all sorts of warnings on weight, but I won't. I fill mine at the base of the hill before heading up on a week or two stay. Dry camping, such as quartzsite is easy also, it's flat and generally smooth I just fill at the town's "Pit Stop" or whatever it's called.

Moving the water depends what you have.
1. Suck it out with the rigs sucking pump.
2. A second spare external pump..
3. Open the valve on the tank into a bucket and transfer

This search phrase might be helpful "plastic roto holding tanks for rv"
KG7IL is offline   Reply With Quote