Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #1
BGC

Considering buying Jayco Class C -- seeking advice

We are considering buying a Jayco Melbourne Class C motorhome, probably used, 2017-2021. I am seeking some honest feedback from experienced owners as to Jayco quality -- quality of materials & workmanship, fit & finish, value for dollar. I guess the bottom line is "Would you buy Jayco again?"
Thank you, Barry
BGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:22 AM   #2

Broad question, but I would buy again. Have a 2022 Melbourne 24 LP. I have seen some things that make me wonder about how much time they really spend on quality control. Wiring is spaghetti but it all works. Some of the fascia has come off cabinets. Side panel (that looks like a storage bin) came off in the wind and flapped on the hinge. Only two measly self-tapping screws holding it. But I think this is standard within the price range. The drawers won’t stay shut if you have more than a couple of pounds in them. But the big stuff is all working well. It’s early as I only get to one year in May. I like the rig, the design, the size and the appointments.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

My 2018 Greyhawk 31fs has been good so far ,18,000 miles . 2 trips to Canada from Florida Gulf Coast and many trips to Tennessee mountains towing 5,135 lbs of 4x4 and side by sides. If you own a RV you must be a handyman to keep it going,,this is even true if you have a $ 2 million dollar class A Prevost…Yes I would buy a Jayco again….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:44 PM   #4

We bought a very, very lightly used 2016 31FK. So far, most of my problems have been non-Jayco stuff. A generator that blew itself up, the roof A/C dying after 3 or 4 years. Dozens of other smaller things.

Some people hold Jayco accountable for these things. I don't.

Would I buy another Jayco? Maybe pre-2018. Reading what's happened to the stuff coming out of the factory since 2019 - probably not. I'd wait awhile. Or I'd spend literally hours going over everything in that RV.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:11 PM   #5

Make sure you do your homework as to user reviews for the model you choose and then get an independent RV inspector to tell you if anything is wrong or needs attention. You can use these results to bargain with the seller. If you are having a hard time deciding on the model you can first go to an RV show and see a good selection.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:18 PM   #6

Would I buy again? Simple answer is no. When I bought I was new to this and understood there would be problems. What I didn't know was how difficult it would be to get work done on it. Mine is under warranty until July but it takes forever to get work done and dealer is 50 miles away. I am fairly handy with some issues but reality is every time we take it out, something breaks or quits working.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #7

We are happy with our tig

I can’t complain about my Jayco Melbourne 24L. We had a few things we had to tighten after our rig took a beating over the rough interstates for the last 3 years.
ViperOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:46 AM   #8

Bought a Greyhawk 29 last year. Have had a few minor problems that Dunlap Familt RV quickly fixed! If you buy new, pick a good dealer!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGC View Post
We are considering buying a Jayco Melbourne Class C motorhome, probably used, 2017-2021. I am seeking some honest feedback from experienced owners as to Jayco quality -- quality of materials & workmanship, fit & finish, value for dollar. I guess the bottom line is "Would you buy Jayco again?"
Thank you, Barry
We have a 2021 24L (2020 chassis) and we love the rig. BUT upon delivery, our slide out jammed, took 4 weeks for the repair. The factory failed to install the set screw on one of the slide motors which prevents it from torquing under power and this bent the slide tracks. Other than that, there have been small issues that I could easily fix. Love the Mercedes Diesel engine, climbs our mountains with ease (we do not pull a toad). It is very maneuverable and we can park it most anywhere. And yes, wiring under the bed looks like a bowl of spaghetti. I would buy another Jayco, but as others have said, would spend A LOT of time with the PDI before paying and driving off.
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:33 AM   #10

Take it for a test drive. See if you are comfortable with its controls, handlings, etc. Then have a good salesperson explain EACH and EVERY inside operation.

When I bought our 2007 Jayco Greyhawk, the sales person even let us take it home to sleep in it (in the driveway) to make sure it was what we liked.

I still have this Jayco. Most of the threads I read on this forum are how folks don't know what/where to check for items that don't work. Make sure you fully understand where your breakers and fuses are, and how items work in whatever you decide to buy.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #11

That would really be nice to have the "take home overnight option" but the reality these days is that most dealers do not have any inventory to even look at, at least in my area of upstate New York State. I ordered a 29MV sight unseen and I am still waiting for it. I relied mainly on You Tube videos of walkthroughs from various sources and testimonials from sites such as this to make my final choice. Unless you get lucky to see one at an RV show or elsewhere, that is all you can do now.
doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #12

Whatever you decide, for the love of God please make sure you understand completely what the yellow weight sticker means for the coach you're interested in. I've seen entirely too many 32' Greyhawks with anywhere from ~1150 - 1400 pounds of cargo on them. Remember, for a motorhome, your passengers count as cargo. A family of 4 in a motorhome with a 1150 pound weight allowance is just irresponsible.

You'll get more functional useability out of a Redhawk, but less creature comforts. Just go in with your eyes wide open; these purchases can be wonderful moments or crippling expensive mistakes !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:22 PM   #13

We are still very happy with our 2006 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS. Very well built and fit and finish is excellent. We would definitely buy another Jayco.
sdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #14

Jayco quality

2019 Greyhawk 29MV yes I would buy again. I realized Jayco like any other RV product is lick em stick em together and quality is not what it once was. Jayco has stood behind their product for us each time we needed them always due to lack of dealer assistance. Issues we have had have generally been cosmetic and should not take the 3-5 months dealers always wants. Thankfull for YouTubes assistance. Minimum 2 year manufactures warranty is needed on all RVs
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:21 PM   #15

Yes

We have a Jayco Melbourne 2017 and have put 70,000 miles on the sprinter motor. We love our motor home and feel like we got the right one the first time. We have not had any major problems. Right now we had a leak in the toilet and my husband finally diagnosed that problem. But during the first years we had on minor problems. We replaced leaking kitchen faucets etc. the sprinter is a breeze to drive and we get 13 to 14 mpg. Lots of room in the cab. Twenty five feet is a good size. Again we have never said we wished we had something else. We love our Jayco Melbourne Sprinter.
LindaInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGC View Post
Thank you, Barry
I would say a Jayco is very well built. Where most of the problem is getting service on your unit. Make sure you pick a good dealership. Not that they do not want to help but they are so booked out for service it could be months before you can get in. I just need to have mine brought in for my generator service and have them check my roof and sides for inspection. I would do both but not capable at the present, and states in warranty to have seals inspected every year.

Also if buying used have a RV inspector go over it to make sure it is good to go.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:19 PM   #17

I use to have a 2017 Greyhawk. The 2017's have some extra quality in them that later rigs got eliminated. It had the solid surface countertop, not laminated. It had the electric switch to pivot the tv out and a few other things. I would say it's pretty good quality for the money you spend, but there are problem area's like junkie shower pan with little support, and slide rollers that eventually work loose. Another issue is the upholstery wears rapidly. For what I spent it was good, but I decided to upgrade to a class A. I wanted a rig that would handle the weight with less stress.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:30 PM   #18

yes

We had a Greyhawk 31FK and are soon to have an Alante so yes we would.

The Greyhawk was nice, a bit noisy on the road sometimes. Floor plan is important. We found the shower a bit tight in the 31FK and the wardrobe was out of reach of the wife, but the dogs loved the built in steps to the bed on the driver's side.

We had no major manufacturing or quality issues in the time we owned it, 2 seasons.
Doing your research you might read quality went down after thor took over 2017 I think but I don't believe it is that cut and dried. This forum has several threads about what to look for and do on your PDI. PDI is important, dealer pointed out to us "oh the generator should have more than 9 hours on it" but they didn't fix it like salesman mentioned and we were in too much of a hurry to check.

Cost us several hours labor to have it fixed the next year somewhere else
Mostly labor to pull it out (bad ground strap).

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:30 PM   #19

We have owned a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS for the past 10 years. Our experience is that we would buy another. Its not been perfect but talk to owners of any brand and all will tell you they have had troubles of some sort. Ours hasn't had anything major.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #20

We have a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV which we bought new. It currently has 29,000 miles on it, from Key West to Alaska. I would say it has been better than average and I would not rule out another Jayco.

BUT .... I would never buy another unit, regardless of brand, unless it had solid surface countertops. Nobody in their right mind would put MDF (medium density fiberboard) anywhere near water, except perhaps an accountant. Jayco replaced the originals under warranty but now the replacements are dissolving. Even after sealing the edges and undersides with 5 coats of polyurethane and replacing all fixtures with residential Moen, I am faced with an expensive repair.
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote