Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2016, 08:25 PM   #11

I am about to setup my Precept to tow my Equinox. I am going to get a Blue Ox tow bar butt haven't decided about the braking. I am thinking about the Patriot system but I wonder if anyone has a better suggestion.

randycurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #12

I went with the Rvibrake system. Google Rvibeake and look at their web site. Lots of info and video. It's a lot smaller , easy to install and I have towed my Jeep all winter with it. It's perfect. They can. Tell you everything you need for what ever you want to tow. I'm very pleased with their product and service. Good luck.

Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad Jeep Unlimited
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #13

You can't tow any Subaru's with automatic trannys. I don't know about towing one with a stick shift. I have an Outback and bought a used aluminum trailer to put it on. Love my Subaru!!!
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #14

I installed the Blue Ox Plate and Ready Brute Brake Cable on our 2015 Jeep Wrangler yesterday. Very easy right up to the point when you figure out they forgot to ship one plate bolt. Had to stop and make a hardware store run. Otherwise so far, so good. I will install the Ready Stop Emergency Brake System and then practice towing. Will know more later, but I'm very pleased with the quality and instructions from both companies thus far.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #15

We tow a 2007 Mini Cooper convertible using a tow dolly. We'd only had it out for one trip, but that was for a six week trip from Illinois to Texas by way of Louisiana for 3000 miles or so, so we have some experience.

The biggest problem we had was with lights. I wanted lights on the back of the car rather than just on the motorhome and the dolly. I used lights that attached with magnets to the back of the car and connected to the motorhome with wires that ran down the side. After about 1000 miles I noticed that we were getting marks on the side from the wires vibrating against the paint. After talking to other campers using tow dolly 2 dropped the back lights and just went with the lights on the dolly.

Gassing up requires a little more awareness. You need to make a wider turn with the dolly into a lane to fill up. I prefer to go into a lane on the end where I have room to maneuver or pull into a middle lane that is open on both sides so that I don't have to worry about getting into position to fill up.

The biggest change for me with a tow is that you can't back up. The towed car is so short that it will jackknife right away. So when towing you don't have a reverse gear. That takes a little getting used to. You have to think ahead before pulling into any parking lot or gas station. You need to look for a way out before you pull in.

Other than that the tow dolly and car were great. Driving you just need to be aware of the added length when changing lanes
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
You can't tow any Subaru's with automatic trannys. I don't know about towing one with a stick shift. I have an Outback and bought a used aluminum trailer to put it on. Love my Subaru!!!

You can tow a Subaru with a manual (stick) trams mission, but you are right, not the automatic (CVT). I tow a 2015 Subaru Forrester manual transmission, four down. Works great. I use a BlueOx setup. Message me if you want more details.

2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote