Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #21

Ours is the K model. My wife decided on it because of the huge amount of external storage. The rear bed is nice but nowhere near queen sized. Maybe in smurf world it's queen. We've only put 2 or 3 thousand miles on ours. My son and his family have gone over 12K miles in his. Even at 90 mph he is getting 15+mpg. And yes, I have threatened him with a kick in the butt for driving stupid fast. He is medically retired from the Army. He got blown up one time to many and had a couple of parachute mishaps. He was an airborne sniper. They are cruising the country until he sell a house then they are going to sell the Melbourne and buy a 40' catamaran to circumnavigate the world.
Lathrop Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathrop Bob View Post
Ours is the K model. My wife decided on it because of the huge amount of external storage. The rear bed is nice but nowhere near queen sized. Maybe in smurf world it's queen. We've only put 2 or 3 thousand miles on ours. My son and his family have gone over 12K miles in his. Even at 90 mph he is getting 15+mpg. And yes, I have threatened him with a kick in the butt for driving stupid fast. He is medically retired from the Army. He got blown up one time to many and had a couple of parachute mishaps. He was an airborne sniper. They are cruising the country until he sell a house then they are going to sell the Melbourne and buy a 40' catamaran to circumnavigate the world.
North American Sprinters are speed limited to 82mph. I believe I read that some that had their Sprinters "tuned" have had the speed limiter bypassed but others have not seen that. Did your son have his tuned and by who? Any more info on the tune would be appreciated because the tuners with success on North American Sprinters only have tunes for older Sprinters I think up to 2011 models. I would be happy to get that mileage at 65mph in my Melbourne.

Thank your son for his service.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
North American Sprinters are speed limited to 82mph. I believe I read that some that had their Sprinters "tuned" have had the speed limiter bypassed but others have not seen that. Did your son have his tuned and by who? Any more info on the tune would be appreciated because the tuners with success on North American Sprinters only have tunes for older Sprinters I think up to 2011 models. I would be happy to get that mileage at 65mph in my Melbourne.

Thank your son for his service.
He didn't have it tuned. I noted that speed because we have family tracking apps on our phones that report gps speed and I watched him in real time fly across New Mexico and Texas. I know I've had my melbourne up to 85 (on accident) a time or two.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #24

Purchasing Melbourne 24K

We purchased a Melbourne 24K last November. Only one major trip so far. We really like the choice we made primarily for the following decision points for us - (1) diesel Mercedes 3500 chassis for the quality and expected mpgs, (2) storage space both inside and outside, (3) convenient size, (4) bed size and access, and (5) price. For driving the front seats are very comfortable for long term sitting - much better than we would have expected. The amenities in the cab are somewhat marginal compared to a Ford. We miss not having a CD player, but that's probably a vanishing amenity for all vehicles. The Garmin unit is not very intuitive, but again that's probably our generation. We need to get our grandkids to give us a 5-minute tutorial and we'd probably be well versed in everything it can do. Our sales rep at Camping World was the best - he had owned a mom and pop RV dealership for years in another state selling only Winnebago brand. He's the one who led us to considering the 24K or 24L saying that would be his choice were he and his wife to get a new unit. He was pretty frank on the premium one pays for the Winnebago name. We went with the 24K, not the 24L, because of the radical difference in storage and the much smaller inside in the 24L with the bed and living room being one.
Out4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4Fun View Post
We purchased a Melbourne 24K last November. Only one major trip so far. We really like the choice we made primarily for the following decision points for us - (1) diesel Mercedes 3500 chassis for the quality and expected mpgs, (2) storage space both inside and outside, (3) convenient size, (4) bed size and access, and (5) price. For driving the front seats are very comfortable for long term sitting - much better than we would have expected. The amenities in the cab are somewhat marginal compared to a Ford. We miss not having a CD player, but that's probably a vanishing amenity for all vehicles. The Garmin unit is not very intuitive, but again that's probably our generation. We need to get our grandkids to give us a 5-minute tutorial and we'd probably be well versed in everything it can do. Our sales rep at Camping World was the best - he had owned a mom and pop RV dealership for years in another state selling only Winnebago brand. He's the one who led us to considering the 24K or 24L saying that would be his choice were he and his wife to get a new unit. He was pretty frank on the premium one pays for the Winnebago name. We went with the 24K, not the 24L, because of the radical difference in storage and the much smaller inside in the 24L with the bed and living room being one.
The garman system is confusing. I use an old iPod for music and audiobooks on mine. I was able to load my solar controller app onto it so I can monitor what is going on easily from the drivers seat if needed. I literally hate the chair from hell drivers seat. It is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat in. My son moved our rig and asked me what was wrong with the seat. His is great. mine isn't. We almost bought the Winnie but the bathroom with the rotating sink was just to claustrophobic for our liking.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #26

When we compared the layout of the 24K vs 24L we went with the 24L. For the most part when the full slide out is out there is more room inside then the 24K. At least it appeared to be. However that said yes the 24K has more outdoor storage, but has the bath sink in the hallway with a useless medicine cabinet. We really like the full bath in one room. The downside is when traveling we can't put the slide out out to sleep so we figured we would either bunk it, drop the table or find somewhere we can use the slide out. The CCC is horrible and is causing some upgrade issues. Ours is listed at 700# to include people and cargo. We downgraded from a 31' Fourwinds. I'm use to 2-6v batteries, inverter setup. Now I'm not sure I can even do that. The "stabilizer" jacks needed to be adjusted since when the slide is out the whole unit tips. We are considering hydraulic leveling jacks, again a weight issue of 100# added. We tow a 2 dr wrangler that probably puts us over the scale. None of the MB are designed to carry too much weight so be warned its not something to take lightly, yes pun. There is a youtuber "epic family road trip" who is living in there's with 3 teens and towing a 4 dr wrangler prepped for overlanding. He seems to be doing fine. Even though its a winabago it doesn't matter all MB chasis have a 15250# limit. There is a good reason winabago uses plastic euro design cabinets. Just my 2cnts on the Melbournes. We do love it and wouldn't change it, yet. Its just rethinking some items out.
edsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #27

Can't imagine even going 75 in ours, especially when it's windy.

We have Sirius XM - worth the price we pay for it.

We feel our 24K has plenty of storage space - the outdoor storage is large, and the three entry doors are a real bonus - our Keystone Premier had about the same capacity but with only two doors. Other outside storage space also holds a lot. Under the bench seats inside, there is a huge amount of room. The bedroom closet, with some good organizational thought, is adequate, especially because of the bedside wardrobe and overhead cabinets. Considering this is a very small motorhome, we're content. Over the years we've fine-tuned how much "stuff" we really need.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #28

We purchased a 2016 24K new 18 months ago. Drove to Alaska and back last summer. 7,000 miles. We removed the dinette and replaced with 2 great recliners with a small console between. I dislike that it is a step up to them due to the slide but what an improvement. We removed the heavy sliding door in the back bed area since it’s just the two of us. We removed the glass shower door and replaced with a curtain and curved rod. We reversed the larger closet door so I can use it for a kitchen pantry. Added a couple of plastic units with drawers for food and supplies... first aid, dog food, canned food, ziplocks, etc.
the warranty work we have had done includes a leak at the driver visor, they found a loose seal on one of the upper light caps on the exterior. The kitchen sink rusted but was replaced. The split in the ceiling panel in the kitchen came loose and they reinforced the ceiling, it looks great again.
There is no spare but we found one of the wheels from MB that Jayco removes and replaces and had a tire mounted on it. Did not need on our Alaska trip but was good insurance. Had to carry it on a small rack mounted in the tow receiver.
The coach battery will lose charge when parked for a week or more so we have it hooked up to a Battery Tender when we are not on the road with it.
We have had stellar service from the local family owned dealer.
We had a Travler Dish mounted on the roof and wish we had not. It is too heavy and I suspect has put us over weight just a tad. Have never used it. The air antennae works really well. I’ve heard others don’t care for the Furion TV but we don’t have any issues with it.
We drive 60-62and get 15 mph+. We love the comfort and power of the Sprinter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #29

Considering Melbourne 24K - Battery Tender

Your summary of your first months of ownership was helpful to us as well. What brand battery tender did you buy and where do you hook it into the coach battery set-up. We are having difficulties seeing the battery charged as well. Thanks.
Out4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Your summary of your first months of ownership was helpful to us as well. What brand battery tender did you buy and where do you hook it into the coach battery set-up. We are having difficulties seeing the battery charged as well. Thanks.
I store mine plugged in to 15amp service to keep the house battery charged and I plug a Battery Tender with a cigarette lighter adapter plugged into the 12v outlet under the ash tray. That outlet is always hot and both batteries are kept topped off.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #31

Quote:

Battery Tender is the brand. Hubby used the included pigtail and hooked that directly to the battery which is located under the driver floorboards. Pigtail is easy to connect/disconnect to the Battery Tender cord. We keep our rig plugged into 30 amp receptacle and just plug the Battery Tender into an outlet in the RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post
We purchased a 2016 24K new 18 months ago. Drove to Alaska and back last summer. 7,000 miles. We removed the dinette and replaced with 2 great recliners with a small console between. I dislike that it is a step up to them due to the slide but what an improvement. We removed the heavy sliding door in the back bed area since it’s just the two of us. We removed the glass shower door and replaced with a curtain and curved rod. We reversed the larger closet door so I can use it for a kitchen pantry. Added a couple of plastic units with drawers for food and supplies... first aid, dog food, canned food, ziplocks, etc.
the warranty work we have had done includes a leak at the driver visor, they found a loose seal on one of the upper light caps on the exterior. The kitchen sink rusted but was replaced. The split in the ceiling panel in the kitchen came loose and they reinforced the ceiling, it looks great again.
There is no spare but we found one of the wheels from MB that Jayco removes and replaces and had a tire mounted on it. Did not need on our Alaska trip but was good insurance. Had to carry it on a small rack mounted in the tow receiver.
The coach battery will lose charge when parked for a week or more so we have it hooked up to a Battery Tender when we are not on the road with it.
We have had stellar service from the local family owned dealer.
We had a Travler Dish mounted on the roof and wish we had not. It is too heavy and I suspect has put us over weight just a tad. Have never used it. The air antennae works really well. I’ve heard others don’t care for the Furion TV but we don’t have any issues with it.
We drive 60-62and get 15 mph+. We love the comfort and power of the Sprinter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
We will take delivery of our 24K next week. Several of the mods you've done sound like things we would do. I'm especially interested in how you switched the large closet into a storage area. We are downsizing from a Redhawk with considerable kitchen storage, so I know it's going to be an issue for me. Do you have any pictures or info on what storage units you added? Thanks!
mt1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #33

Spare tire

First trip in our new Melbourne and we got a flat. No spare on Melbourne. Tire that went flat was inner rear so I was able to limp into a firestone on a Sunday afternoon got lucky. Not a big fan of traveling without a spare different rims on rears and fronts. Any one run into the same senario
Metsfan is offline   Reply With Quote