Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #21

I read JOF for a year or so before buying our first TT. One of my take-aways was “a TPMS is a good thing”. I bought a TM shortly after we picked it up. It made the transition to our next unit (the 5th) and 2 blowouts later I’ll say that a TPMS should not be optional.
Which one you get is not as important as getting one. TST and TM seem to be the most popular (I have a TM). A TPMS is also one of those things that I don’t think one should go cheap on.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Let me say "I did".

I have used TireMinder for years, preceeding my ownership of my Seneca when I had a Ford E-450 Chateau Class C. I did have a few signal dropouts on it using a booster. But I didn't do anything about it at that time.

I transferred the system to my Seneca when I bought it and also upgraded the display through a promotion offered by Minder at that time. On my Seneca the dropouts became worse, losing a toad tire now and then and even a rear dual occasionally. My booster was installed inside the "nightstand" on the rear wall of the coach where I had run a new 12-volt circuit for it and my CPAP machine. I put the booster there so it would be as close to my toad as possible to pick up its tires.

While on a trip out West the dropouts became irritating so I called Minder Research. I was immediately connected to a very nice Tech, she asked me a series of questions determining how old my batteries were, how long my Seneca was, where my signal booster was mounted and was it still powered, what toad I had, and more. After we agreed my install was as recommended, she admitted there has been an explosion of consumer devices using the same unlicensed frequency spectrum their system does. And in a longer RV that occasionally can cause interference issues resulting in signal dropouts. Their answer was that I needed a second signal booster mid-coach. Even though I was beyond the standard warranty timeframe, she asked if I still resided at the address they had on file and she would immediately send another booster free of charge. It was waiting for me me when I got home.

I installed the second booster in my refrigerator lower outside access compartment, tying it into the fridge's 12-volt power feed. So whenever my battery switch is turned on, both boosters are "on". No more dropouts except when I have forgotten to turn on the coach batteries when I am taking it to or from storage when nobody else is with me! None at all when both boosters online.

I can't say enough about how well I have been treated by Minder. I also had a sensor that the battery clip broke off. Even though I know it was out of warranty, 4 days later a new sensor was here no charge!

Even on a unit shorter than a Seneca I think a second booster may be helpful if one is experiencing dropouts. Give Minder a call, hopefully they will treat you as kindly as they have me!
Thanks Robbbyr.

I am ordering my TireMinder this week!!!!!

Bob
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #23

Quick tire story. We went to the storage lot where we keep our 29MV and found a flat tire (inner curb dual). Coach-Net sent a service truck with a new tire. Fortunately, the tech found no issues with the tire (nails, holes, etc.) but the reason it went flat was a leaking tire valve extender. He said that he gets more call-outs for leaking extensions than he does for nails or blow-outs. His suggestion...purchase a good dual head tire pressure gauge that is at least 12" long and forget the extensions. Not the same as a TPMS, but just our experience. While he was there, I asked him to remove the other extension, which he did.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
the reason it went flat was a leaking tire valve extender.
Our experience also on previous rig and had those valve extension hoses removed. But the same leaking problem can and did occur with a few of our TPMS sensors. There is just a small O-ring preventing the loss of air from the sensor. If you screw them on too tight (or R&R them too much), you are at risk for damaging the O-ring. If you use the TPMS, you should replace the O-rings periodically and lube them with silicone grease. Best solution is to install in-wheel sensors integrated with the Schrader valve just like every modern car has.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote