Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

Considering TPMS for Seneca

Looking at the various TPMS for the Seneca. Have read many forums.

Pros, cons, other comments welcome?

Dash Mount vs. iOS App?

Thanks,

Terry
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #2

I have Tire Minder and am very satisfied. Great customer service.
I have the dash-mounted display, I like that I can glance at it when necessary rather than whipping the phone out!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

Tpms

I have the Tiretrakker and bought it for the lifetime warranty and it works good but I have to scroll through 20 screens to see my 10 tires - example screen #1 LF PSI - screen #2 LF temp - Screen #3 LR PSI - screen #4 LR temp. I hate that
Today i was looking at the March 2017 Trailer Life magazine and they have an add for the " Tire Patrol " which has a 7" screen and shows all tire PSI on the same screen - if I was buying today it would be be the Tire Patrol - Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
Site Team

I have the TST (Truck System Technologies). Great customer service and no repeater needed. Mine will monitor pressure and temps on up to 22 tires.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have the TST (Truck System Technologies). Great customer service and no repeater needed. Mine will monitor pressure and temps on up to 22 tires.
X2
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
X3

Can step through all six tires checking temp and pressure faster than you can read.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #7

My TST has worked flawlessly for me for the past 2 years . Recently they offered me a chance to upgrade to the new 507 color display monitor . The screen is a little larger with different colored information that makes it easer to determine what the error is . It is also easer to see in the sun . It makes me at ease when diving knowing that all the tires are OK . The tire status is on constant display as I drive . I would buy again
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmac View Post
My TST has worked flawlessly for me for the past 2 years . The tire status is on constant display as I drive . I would buy again
I would too. Just had a sensor fail and they have a 2 year warranty. New one on the way, no questions asked. Mine is a old RV510 system.

When this one needs new sensors, I plan to upgrade to the RV507 with the latest features. I don't care about the flow thru sensors.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 02-18-2018, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
X3

Can step through all six tires checking temp and pressure faster than you can read.
X3
I think that the pressure and temperature limits that you can set on this unit are its strongest features. Knowing that it will alarm when pressure or temperature go outside of defined limits is really nice because I don’t have to constantly monitor the screen.
Fyouberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbroussard View Post
Looking at the various TPMS for the Seneca. Have read many forums.

Pros, cons, other comments welcome?

Dash Mount vs. iOS App?

Thanks,

Terry
Hello Terry, I purchased the EEZRV TPMS system in March of '16 for our Greyhawk 29MV. I purchased the 10 monitors to cover the tow car as well. I quickly realized the monitors would not work on the Subaru because they stuck out away from the tire way too much for safety. I struggled all summer long with the six on the coach. I wanted them to work because I paid some $400 for the set...

I would air up, install the sensors, then put my wheel covers on. After a few days, one or the other (sensors) would show a few pounds low, so I would pull off the wheel cover and air up, then reinstall the wheel cover. After a while, I stopped putting on the wheel covers because I was afraid they could be getting loose because of too much removal.

I did this all summer. Continuously airing up. Believe me, those sensors drove me crazy. My stepson (an RV guy) told me when he discovered that I had purchased TPMS sensors, that I could just wait, they would leak or seep...It didn't take long. About a month.

At the end of the '16 summer, I pulled them off. The summer of '17 I would check my tires about once a week and did not air up all summer.

I checked my tires in preparation for a friend's gathering so two weeks ago. I lost three pounds of air in my coach tire from Sept through February.

In my experience, they seep or leak... I notified the company, they sent me some O-rings for the set, insisting that they should not be seeping or leaking. but that did not work. They seep or leak ....
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
Hello Terry, I purchased the EEZRV TPMS system in March of '16 for our Greyhawk 29MV. I purchased the 10 monitors to cover the tow car as well. I quickly realized the monitors would not work on the Subaru because they stuck out away from the tire way too much for safety. I struggled all summer long with the six on the coach. I wanted them to work because I paid some $400 for the set...

I would air up, install the sensors, then put my wheel covers on. After a few days, one or the other (sensors) would show a few pounds low, so I would pull off the wheel cover and air up, then reinstall the wheel cover. After a while, I stopped putting on the wheel covers because I was afraid they could be getting loose because of too much removal.

I did this all summer. Continuously airing up. Believe me, those sensors drove me crazy. My stepson (an RV guy) told me when he discovered that I had purchased TPMS sensors, that I could just wait, they would leak or seep...It didn't take long. About a month.

At the end of the '16 summer, I pulled them off. The summer of '17 I would check my tires about once a week and did not air up all summer.

I checked my tires in preparation for a friend's gathering so two weeks ago. I lost three pounds of air in my coach tire from Sept through February.

In my experience, they seep or leak... I notified the company, they sent me some O-rings for the set, insisting that they should not be seeping or leaking. but that did not work. They seep or leak ....
Thanks for the detailed information on EEZRV. I was days away from buying that systyem. Based on the other posts i think I am going to buy Tire Patrol.

Bob
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #12
Site Team

Many times leaking is caused by flexing on the rubber valve stems at road speeds. The solution for me was to install metal valve stems. No more problems.

I used the shortest ones I could find .
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 02-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #13

Tire monitor

Morning. I have used the EEZtire system on my 2015 Seneca and Ford Explorer toad for over 3 years with zero problems. Have not had to change batteries yet. Used 3 inch stainless steel extensions, too.
Foster15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Many times leaking is caused by flexing on the rubber valve stems at road speeds. The solution for me was to install metal valve stems. No more problems.

I used the shortest ones I could find .
The Greyhawk 29MV came (from the factory) with steel valves on the coach tires... I spent too much time playing with those sensors. It wasn't the valves, those sensors leak or seep.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
In my experience, they seep or leak... hey seep or leak ....
What he wrote has been my experience on a previous Class A. I don't use my TireMinder setup anymore (hint: I'll sell you my nice used TM gear). These things may be great 95% of the time, but it is the 5% of the time when you leak down and create a potentially serious safety issue or at least a PITA to R&R and diagnose the issue. If they were mounted on the inside of the rim like cars, I'd be interested.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
The Greyhawk 29MV came (from the factory) with steel valves on the coach tires... I spent too much time playing with those sensors. It wasn't the valves, those sensors leak or seep.
Well that eliminates that and points to the sensors. My TST sensors do not leak.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have Tire Minder and am very satisfied. Great customer service.
I have the dash-mounted display, I like that I can glance at it when necessary rather than whipping the phone out!
X2...

have had ours on for 15 months now on original sensors battery - still going strong on all 10 tires.

... and the best part??? DW gets to do the tire pressure Pre-check before every departure. No more on my knees checking pressures.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #18

I use Tire Minder, on my MH and on the toad. Amplifier is installed. I get more false alarms than I would like. The alarms are for a “signal lost alert” it will lose signal to one location, it in a few miles it seems to come back. Not the same wheel shows disconnect either. It’s somewhat random. Batteries in the senders are fresh.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky46 View Post
I use Tire Minder, on my MH and on the toad. Amplifier is installed. I get more false alarms than I would like. The alarms are for a “signal lost alert” it will lose signal to one location, it in a few miles it seems to come back. Not the same wheel shows disconnect either. It’s somewhat random. Batteries in the senders are fresh.
Robbby,

Do you have the same issues with your TireMinder setup.

I looked at TirePatrol and while I liked it (and wanted to buy it) I did not like the fact that you could not change the batteries yourself, but had to sent in the units and they would send you a new one. My concern was that if they went out of business my TirePatrol system would become worthless over time. I know I could run the generator when rolling down the road, but I do not do that very often in order to squeeze every mile out of a tank of diesel.

Also, I saw on the TirePatrol system that you had to plug the amplifer into the wall. I liked that idea until I remembered at all my plugs go dead when I disconnect from shore power.

Any comments from other TireMinder users would be great. I need to buy something soon as we are going on our shake down trip in April and I would like to have this installed by then.

Thanks everyone for this thread. There is a lot of good information here.

Bob
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafstar View Post
Robbby,

Do you have the same issues with your TireMinder setup?

Bob
Let me say "I did".

I have used TireMinder for years, preceeding my ownership of my Seneca when I had a Ford E-450 Chateau Class C. I did have a few signal dropouts on it using a booster. But I didn't do anything about it at that time.

I transferred the system to my Seneca when I bought it and also upgraded the display through a promotion offered by Minder at that time. On my Seneca the dropouts became worse, losing a toad tire now and then and even a rear dual occasionally. My booster was installed inside the "nightstand" on the rear wall of the coach where I had run a new 12-volt circuit for it and my CPAP machine. I put the booster there so it would be as close to my toad as possible to pick up its tires.

While on a trip out West the dropouts became irritating so I called Minder Research. I was immediately connected to a very nice Tech, she asked me a series of questions determining how old my batteries were, how long my Seneca was, where my signal booster was mounted and was it still powered, what toad I had, and more. After we agreed my install was as recommended, she admitted there has been an explosion of consumer devices using the same unlicensed frequency spectrum their system does. And in a longer RV that occasionally can cause interference issues resulting in signal dropouts. Their answer was that I needed a second signal booster mid-coach. Even though I was beyond the standard warranty timeframe, she asked if I still resided at the address they had on file and she would immediately send another booster free of charge. It was waiting for me me when I got home.

I installed the second booster in my refrigerator lower outside access compartment, tying it into the fridge's 12-volt power feed. So whenever my battery switch is turned on, both boosters are "on". No more dropouts except when I have forgotten to turn on the coach batteries when I am taking it to or from storage when nobody else is with me! None at all when both boosters online.

I can't say enough about how well I have been treated by Minder. I also had a sensor that the battery clip broke off. Even though I know it was out of warranty, 4 days later a new sensor was here no charge!

Even on a unit shorter than a Seneca I think a second booster may be helpful if one is experiencing dropouts. Give Minder a call, hopefully they will treat you as kindly as they have me!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote