Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #1

Converted my B&W rear view camera to color

I recently found out that our 2008 Jayco Melbourne already had a color monitor from Jayco factory. I could not get use to the B & W monitor so I had been enquiring about buying a whole new rear view system and sent a picture of both my camera & monitor to Tim at RV Cams in Baton Rouge, LA. He quickly noticed our Voyager monitor could be also be used as a color monitor by simply replacing the B&W camera to the proper color camera. I found it strange that Jayco would go cheap and use a B&W camera. I trusted Tim and ordered the camera he had recommended; a VCMS155/VCMS155B, Voyager's Newest Full-Feature Color Backup Camera. I ordered it online from RV Cams and the total cost was only $160.00 including tax and free shipping. It was very simple to install. I simply removed the old one, pulled out the cable and it plugged right into the existing motorhome's cable. The new bracket was exactly the same, I used the same holes to mount it.
Attached Thumbnails
Voyager rear camera.jpg   Voyager Monitor (1).jpg   20190125_152445.jpg   20190225_150952.jpg   20190225_150242.jpg  

handydandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by handydandy View Post
I recently found out that our 2008 Jayco Melbourne already had a color monitor from Jayco factory. I could not get use to the B & W monitor so I had been enquiring about buying a whole new rear view system and sent a picture of both my camera & monitor to Tim at RV Cams in Baton Rouge, LA. He quickly noticed our Voyager monitor could be also be used as a color monitor by simply replacing the B&W camera to the proper color camera. I found it strange that Jayco would go cheap and use a B&W camera. I trusted Tim and ordered the camera he had recommended; a VCMS155/VCMS155B, Voyager's Newest Full-Feature Color Backup Camera. I ordered it online from RV Cams and the total cost was only $160.00 including tax and free shipping. It was very simple to install. I simply removed the old one, pulled out the cable and it plugged right into the existing motorhome's cable. The new bracket was exactly the same, I used the same holes to mount it.
Can you please provide the instructions for this upgrade and which color monitor you purchased. Great job!!!!! Peace, Louis Grossi and I own a 2007 Jayco Melbourne 29C with the very same black & white antique backup camera. Your information and help would be greatly appreciated.
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Now if you can just get the camera to project right side up!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset117 View Post
Can you please provide the instructions for this upgrade and which color monitor you purchased. Great job!!!!! Peace, Louis Grossi and I own a 2007 Jayco Melbourne 29C with the very same black & white antique backup camera. Your information and help would be greatly appreciated.

I replied to your message earlier today, had trouble sending it. Let me know if not received

Andy
handydandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #5

No response Andy - Didn't make it. Thank you for not giving up.

Hi Andy,
Still nothing. Can you send your response to my email address louisgrossi@ymail.com Thank you for your help. Peace, Lou Grossi

Quote:
I replied to your message earlier today, had trouble sending it. Let me know if not received

Andy
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 12:12 PM   #6

Backup Cam

Thanks Andy! I followed your advice and contacted Tim about my 2009 Melbourne backup cam. Upgraded colour cam is on the way. The VCMS155 is discontinued. Latest cam is VBCS150. On Tim’s recommendation I worked the camera cord out of the rear cap. Had a bit of a challenge with this. Glad I did it in advance. HTTPS://www.rvcams.com/p/vcms24.html
FatFingersSlimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:28 PM   #7

Are you able to send me the instruction on how to change the wiring? Do you have to change the wiring? CABruce80@gmail.com
CABruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:48 AM   #8

RV Backup Cam

No change in wiring. But need to make sure you can expose the connector which is buried in the back. Gently pull the camera wire out. The connector is about 2 feet in on mine.
FatFingersSlimm is offline   Reply With Quote