Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #1

Converted Norcold gas/elct. fridge to residential

I have a 06 Seneca with the Norcold 841 model fridge. It has been running good all these years (13) but I wanted to update it with a residential convertion from J R Refridgeration. I must say this works very well, and I'm happy with the conversion. Since it only works with electricity, I need to update the converter. Currently I have a 400 watt and would like to upgrade to a 2000 watt.
I'm looking for suggestions for a good inverter and how to properly wire the electrical outlet for the fridge to run both shore power and inverter.
We don't dry camp at all except for Walmart when traveling.

Anybody interested in fridge conversion I attached a picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190820_154627.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	52767
Krappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Thanks for posting! I have a Norcold 1210 and I am happy with its capacity and performance now, but as it ages I was wondering what I would do. Having more consistent cooling and faster cooldown would certainly be nice. A regular residential unit would be a challenge since my fridge sits above my furnace. Plus it seems many of them draw more current to operate than what you installed.

After watching the company's installation video I know I could do the upgrade myself. And I have an 1,800 watt inverter, I would just need to swap some circuits around to put it on the inverter. I already have a bigger battery bank and have been contemplating some solar. Win - win!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #3

Yes... VERY interesting... thanks for posting that picture a it shows a very thought out solution to retrofit the condenser and high pressure side. Now I looked for a link to the company - and did not find what Robbby described. I want to see the details.

What did they do for a TXV on the evap side... is it a cap-tube assembly or a metered system.
How did they deal with flushing out the evap from the ammonia evap (assuming that the evap is the original one, or they retrofit a new one that is clean)

I would consider something like this and use the patented magnetic compressor that is 12v that Norcold patented. I have one and it is amazing.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krappa View Post
I'm looking for suggestions for a good inverter and how to properly wire the electrical outlet for the fridge to run both shore power and inverter.
We don't dry camp at all except for Walmart when traveling.
Many of the inverters have built in transfer switches. Wiring would be a simple 110 shore power to the inverter and then the 110 out to the fridge. Just be sure you use big enough 12 volt wiring from the batteries to the inverter.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Yes... VERY interesting... thanks for posting that picture a it shows a very thought out solution to retrofit the condenser and high pressure side. Now I looked for a link to the company - and did not find what Robbby described. I want to see the details.

What did they do for a TXV on the evap side... is it a cap-tube assembly or a metered system.
How did they deal with flushing out the evap from the ammonia evap (assuming that the evap is the original one, or they retrofit a new one that is clean)

I would consider something like this and use the patented magnetic compressor that is 12v that Norcold patented. I have one and it is amazing.
It is an all-new assembly, the complete absorption cooling unit is discarded. They have either a 120-volt AC or 12-volt DC compressors. And I believe I heard it is a capillary tube expansion system. Here is a link to the assembly: https://jc-refrigeration.com/products/

And a video of the installation is here: https://jc-refrigeration.com/videos/
Old 08-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #6

Robbbyr A while ago I posted on this site FMCA Minot. I had one response and his name is LES, great people. While visiting him it was scary to see the same mods I did in his Seneca. We both installed the same fridge right down to black stainless. Mine sits on the floor in my rb and his sits over his furnace in his hj. His hj is a 2016 and looks like yours. He also does a lot of boon docking and has solar power to run his fridge. You might contact him with any fridge questions. You can find him on my post FMCA Minot.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
Robbbyr A while ago I posted on this site FMCA Minot. I had one response and his name is LES, great people. While visiting him it was scary to see the same mods I did in his Seneca. We both installed the same fridge right down to black stainless. Mine sits on the floor in my rb and his sits over his furnace in his hj. His hj is a 2016 and looks like yours. He also does a lot of boon docking and has solar power to run his fridge. You might contact him with any fridge questions. You can find him on my post FMCA Minot.
Thanks!