Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #1

Converter/charger

Howdy all from oregon.
Some couple months back we received many discussions about my desire to either solar or install an inverter in my class c MH...wellafter all the kind suggestions I installed a 2000 pure sign inverter and second batt, switch etc
I'm on a trip currently and love it...except can't seem get the Batts up to full charge with generator. I mostly watch some TV and furnace fan.
I still have the original 45 amp converter / charger.
Ya think it's not enough....I also might add a third batt
Mel
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #2

What type of batteries do you have Bucket2? Generally speaking, the converter doesn't care where it gets its input power comes from and should have a wide range of acceptable input voltage for example between 105~130v (depends on the converter but this is common). Have you been able to verify that the converter is actually charging when on generator power (it should of course but maybe isn't charging). ~CA

One way to test is to check the battery voltage without any shore power or generator and then start the generator and check the coach battery voltages again, should be up around 13.8~14.4 (when charged, otherwise should be climbing while charging)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #3

I purchased a meter but didn't have time to wire it in and didn't even bring a volt meter with me so going by the goofy red lights and seems like it takes an hour with the generator to get three lights.
Drove the MH for an hour and only had three lights and depletes the charge with furnace, but Rana lit and was dead by morning. I have two 165 AH lead acid Batts
Old 02-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #4

You may want to consider a larger converter then, if you have two 165ah 12v batteries (330ah total) that would be different then two 165ah 6v batteries (165ah @ 12v), however assuming 12v batteries in parallel, 3 hours of 45a converter (135 amps) would not be long enough to bring them up if they were ~50% charged. Also keep in mind that the charge profile for a lead acid battery lowers the current as the battery gets closer to full charge, so it is charging faster at first then tapers off the current, which means it takes longer to get from 80% to 100% than it does to get from 60% to 80% (numbers are for example, I would have to lookup the exact charge profile but this is close and as an example.)

In any case, I would certainly consider a more powerful converter, and another battery can always be of value if you find that your two batteries run low often overnight, especially if you are draining them less than 50% capacity. ~CA
Old 02-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket2 View Post
Drove the MH for an hour and only had three lights and depletes the charge with furnace, but Rana lit and was dead by morning. I have two 165 AH lead acid Batts
It's hard to tell much by just looking at the monitor lights. The third light (which Jayco calls "Good") comes on at 12.1 volts. That's about 50% charged. I think you'll find it helps a lot to install a real battery monitor. 45 amps charging into 330 AH of battery capacity also seems a little small since at least 4 hours of max rate charging will be needed to go from 50% to fully charged.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #6

OK, I'll have to wait a couple of weeks and get off this trip...maybe a 60-80 amp on the converter and another batt. I have made room.
Maybe I should have bit the bullet and bought better batteries, excited about the cost of lithium but JELL might be better so then charging will differ....Mel
Old 02-24-2021, 04:27 PM   #7

Good, well informed advice here. GET THE BATTERY MONITOR INSTALLED! I bought an AiLi unit off Amazon for $45.00 fifteen foot cable extension included. I installed it at the panel with the generator controller, the little red lights, (anunceator lights) and the slide in/out switch. It's the most valuable gauge I have. I will say this about that. When I hooked mine up I put in the Ah capacity printed on the batteries. Both were new and fully charged. The monitor showed 80% of capacity. ARRRG! Since then I've learned that even premium battery builders Trojan, Rolls and the like rate their products at their absolutely highest capacity under absolutely perfect conditions. Most importantly ambient temperatures. The other thing I did was install a two input voltage meter in the dash. While driving I can monitor what the alternator is putting into both battery banks, chassis and house.

Best regards
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:59 PM   #8

Also note that lead acid you can not discharge more than 50% before doing permanent damage to the batteries. Once it goes below 50%, it will never charge to 100% again. If you got below 20% you most likely wont get back to 100% again. In addition, I believe it depletes a little faster. I bring this up as the poster mentioned:
"Drove the MH for an hour and only had three lights and depletes the charge with furnace,"

The original battery that came with my trailer and then with my class C was junk and had already been abused. They were not good for much except lights after a year (although I did do some thing to help them along to their death bed). Hopefully your initial one was still good before the 2nd battery was installed.