Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

Converter issue???

On my last trip with our 2011 Greyhawk 31SS, the generator ran fine for the first half of our trip. It held the AC load with no problems until about 5 hours from home. The AC, microwave, and tv's stopped receiving power even though the generator continued to run smoothly. I checked the breakers and fuses under the bed, and everything was fine. When I got it back home, I plugged it in to the shop 30 AMP outlet, and everything (AC, microwave, and tv's) worked just fine.

Besides an issue with the converter, is there something else I should be checking out?

Thanks!
neintx31ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

Converter probably not a factor, it takes 110-volts and "converts" it to 12-volts to run your house accessories such as the lights, water pump, furnace, etc. The 110-volt breakers may be located in the same housing, and one of them actually feeds the converter its power.

I would first check the breaker on the generator itself, it may have opened. If that okay, I would next check the transfer switch, which changes where the coach gets its 110-volts from be it the generator or the external cord. Since the items worked when plugged into shore power those are your likely causes.

Beyond that it could be a generator issue. Some have a fuse inside them that if it blows the generator will stop producing power even though its engine is running fine.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Thanks! I didn't even think to check the generator fuse.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Converter probably not a factor, it takes 110-volts and "converts" it to 12-volts to run your house accessories such as the lights, water pump, furnace, etc. The 110-volt breakers may be located in the same housing, and one of them actually feeds the converter its power.

I would first check the breaker on the generator itself, it may have opened. If that okay, I would next check the transfer switch, which changes where the coach gets its 110-volts from be it the generator or the external cord. Since the items worked when plugged into shore power those are your likely causes.

Beyond that it could be a generator issue. Some have a fuse inside them that if it blows the generator will stop producing power even though its engine is running fine.
The generator breaker is fine. Where is the transfer switch?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #5

If you actually cycled the generator breaker with no effect, the transfer switch would be the next item I would check. Unfortunately I have no idea where it would be located on your rig, you might be able to find it somewhere near your power center.

If it were my coach I would check the transfer switch with a voltmeter while generator running to see if there is indeed 110-volts coming to the switch when the generator was running. It would require removal of the cover which exposes line voltage electrical terminals, so extreme care is needed to ensure one does not electrocute themselves. There is a contactor in the enclosure that switches the coach from generator to shore power, never allowing the two sources to be tied together. They have been known to go bad, and/or the control circuit that activates the contactor can go bad itself.

Since we are talking line voltage AC, if you are not entirely comfortable working on that it may be time for professional help.

I had an older Onan that in addition to the breaker on the generator, it also had a small automotive glass fuse that protected the circuit board of the generator. If it blew, the generator would run fine but never make voltage. I think it was a 10-amp or less fuse and it was located right near the generator-mounted start/stop switch. Your twisted the top and it popped out for replacement/inspection.

Sorry I cannot help more remotely!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
If you actually cycled the generator breaker with no effect, the transfer switch would be the next item I would check. Unfortunately I have no idea where it would be located on your rig, you might be able to find it somewhere near your power center.

If it were my coach I would check the transfer switch with a voltmeter while generator running to see if there is indeed 110-volts coming to the switch when the generator was running. It would require removal of the cover which exposes line voltage electrical terminals, so extreme care is needed to ensure one does not electrocute themselves. There is a contactor in the enclosure that switches the coach from generator to shore power, never allowing the two sources to be tied together. They have been known to go bad, and/or the control circuit that activates the contactor can go bad itself.

Since we are talking line voltage AC, if you are not entirely comfortable working on that it may be time for professional help.

I had an older Onan that in addition to the breaker on the generator, it also had a small automotive glass fuse that protected the circuit board of the generator. If it blew, the generator would run fine but never make voltage. I think it was a 10-amp or less fuse and it was located right near the generator-mounted start/stop switch. Your twisted the top and it popped out for replacement/inspection.

Sorry I cannot help more remotely!
I just checked the transfer relay. I'm getting power in from the generator, but no power is leaving the relay. Should I purchase and replace a new relay (https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD5110610V-Automatic-Connector/dp/B002UCADGW) or try changing out the circuit board?
Old 09-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

I hope yours is not one of the transfer switch that has been recalled ?
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #8

Same problems

We have a 2011 Grayhawk 31 FS with exactly the same problem. I've read about the transfer switch and the generator breaker. Pardon my ignorance but when I look at the generator, the only thing I see is a rocker switch that actually starts the generator. It says "breaker" but it's not like any breaker i'm familiar with. Also, where is the transfer switch located on the 31FS? is it behind the panel on the bed or located somewhere else?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Bill McAllister
87vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #9

The generator breaker is on the opposite end of the generator manual start switch and my transfer switch is under the bed . You have to remove the panel and mine is next to the circuit breakers on the floor. Mine is a IOTA and is under recall
Old 09-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #10

Thanks

Thanks for the information on the locations of the breaker and the transfer switch. Now I have a location I can try to figure this thing out.
Thanks again
Bill McAllister
87vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 PM   #11

I had the same problem and found out I had a 7.5 fuse blown. It was actually located on the solenoid located by the pull out battery.
Sergiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #12

My 09 Greyhawk had a similar problem turned out to be transfer switch, and it was under recall so had to take to dealer and they replaced it.