Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2018, 04:26 AM   #21

War Eagle, we have the exact same year and model coach with 1 AC. I have been adding some insulator board where possible to keep the cold air in. Think we need to build a rolling Yeti. I’m curious as to what is going on with your generator? They seem to run very hot and that has me concerned. I’d like to keep this coach but we definitely need to get the AC situation under control. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #22

Second AC cost me $2,400, installed. From what I experienced and have read, this is the only solution to cooling the RV when temps are much above 90 and less if the RV is parked in the sun. The generator issue only compounds the problem because it will not run more than about 30-40 minutes while driving down the road so the RV warms up quickly due to outside temps and road/engine heat while traveling. I have just tried changing the oil with Onan 30 weight oil and am experimenting with the amount of oil I put in the engine. The guy at the Onan place told me whatever you do, do not overfill the oil. With heat comes expansion and the sensor shuts the engine down thinking it has too much oil. He said as long as there is oil on the stick I will be fine. Also said if I were to not have enough oil, the sensor would shut it down due to low oil. I have had it running for two hours on a day above 90* and it did not shut down but I still want to keep trying to find the optimum amount of oil to keep in the engine. I asked about synthetic oil and he said there is no need to use them because there is no oil filter, and I should be changing the oil at around 150 hours anyway, so the benefit of synthetic oil is lost. Give this a try and let me know how it works for you. One more thing he said was Jayco is very aware of this issue and knows they screwed up by placing the generator in a such a tight space and not getting enough ventilation to properly cool the generator. It's the old Jayco blames Onan and Onan blames Jayco story, and with my recent experiences with Jayco, I have no doubt the fault lies with. them.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #23

Thanks for that great info War Eagle.
We haven’t had an issue with our generator shutting down but it does seem to run hot. I’ll keep an eye on the oil levels.
Does your second AC run off of 110v when you get to a camp site and did they install a second hookup?
If we keep this coach we may need to do that as well.
Thanks again and safe travels, Jimmyd
Old 08-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #24

I understand the frustrations of rv ownership. I have owned 4 different brands of 5ers over the years and every one has had its problems. Some bad and some not so bad, but all very aggravating.
I looked at some high end models thinking of going this route and they were no better, found problems with them just walking through them.
There is no such thing as a problem free rv. Just my opinion.
rhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle 1 View Post
The generator issue only compounds the problem because it will not run more than about 30-40 minutes while driving down the road so the RV warms up quickly due to outside temps and road/engine heat while traveling.
We had the same problem with the Onan 4K in our Greyhawk. After Cummins replaced the file pump, it hasn’t shut off again.

I am considering adding some type of louvered vent on the generator door to allow more airflow.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
snip

I am considering adding some type of louvered vent on the generator door to allow more airflow.
You absolutely should. The new units are being shipped with vented cargo doors. I can't believe they haven't always been that way given how sensitive to heat generators are.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #27

Generator Door

Is it possible for someone to post a few closeup pictures of the new style generator door, the ventilated type?
I would like to possibly modify the current door in our 2016 Greyhawk.
Thanks, Jimmyd
Old 08-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Is it possible for someone to post a few closeup pictures of the new style generator door, the ventilated type?
I would like to possibly modify the current door in our 2016 Greyhawk.
Thanks, Jimmyd
Here you go Jimmy!
Attached Thumbnails
123C778C-AD5B-4C41-A615-7C20BCC4F765.jpeg   D5E94EB0-B9E6-421D-8EBB-C88ABF478BF8.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #29

Cabinetmaker, can you tell me if the vented area has some sort of trim piece around it? It’s hard to see in the pictures. I tried to take that door off this am to see how it’s built and then gave up for a while. I may drill out the end rivets and slide out the panels at if I go that route. I’m sure your door must have a factory trim around the opening? Please let me know.
Thanks, Jimmyd
Old 08-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Cabinetmaker, can you tell me if the vented area has some sort of trim piece around it? It’s hard to see in the pictures. I tried to take that door off this am to see how it’s built and then gave up for a while. I may drill out the end rivets and slide out the panels at if I go that route. I’m sure your door must have a factory trim around the opening? Please let me know.
Thanks, Jimmyd
Jimmy...the door has a wire mesh insert with some kind of trim covering the edges. I’ll try and get you a better picture. It’s been raining cats and dogs here today!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #31

Thanks Mike, we had the storms over this way yesterday.
I thought they must have a frame covering the cutout for the expanded metal mesh. I spent most of my career operating and owning companies involved in metal working. Funny thing is I started as a cabinetmaker. The dust sent me packing and headed into the metal industry.
Thanks for your help. Jimmyd
Old 08-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #32

Hey Jimmyd, I'll try to grab a closeup pic this evening if I can remember. My rig is in the driveway until we leave, so I have easy access.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #33

NC Roamer, When you say pump, do you mean the fuel pump? Did you hear a clicking noise that worsens as the generator heats up and prior to shutting itself off? I was told that clicking was the result of a vapor lock and causing the shutdown.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #34

Mine seems to work great. We haven't had any issues, aside from the unit dying and requiring replacement in the first year.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
You would burn up in Texas summers with only one ac...trust me, I have lived here all my life and had every flavor of RV they make...yeppers you need two ac's!
My first trip to Texas was during the month of July (many years ago). I stepped out of the car and my shoes stuck to the asphalt! Yes, it's hotter in Texas. I remember looking out the window of the hotel and the temperature at 9:00 pm was in the high 80's. In NY it might get into the 90's with high humidity during the day but at night you can usually count on some cooling into the 70's where the A/C unit can do some catching up.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
My first trip to Texas was during the month of July (many years ago). I stepped out of the car and my shoes stuck to the asphalt! Yes, it's hotter in Texas. I remember looking out the window of the hotel and the temperature at 9:00 pm was in the high 80's. In NY it might get into the 90's with high humidity during the day but at night you can usually count on some cooling into the 70's where the A/C unit can do some catching up.
My dad literally melted many pairs of shoes in his career. He was a maintenance supervisor for rental fleets, so he spent many of his days walking lots checking vehicles! He couldn't get more than a few months out of the best shoes, and he was corporate, so he had to wear "dress" shoes.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Hey Jimmyd, I'll try to grab a closeup pic this evening if I can remember. My rig is in the driveway until we leave, so I have easy access.
Thanks Bob, that would be great. I just installed a shelf in that compartment this morning. Gives me a lot more storage. Looks like you are booking ahead with several projects. Enjoy!! Jimmyd
Old 08-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle 1 View Post
NC Roamer, When you say pump, do you mean the fuel pump? Did you hear a clicking noise that worsens as the generator heats up and prior to shutting itself off? I was told that clicking was the result of a vapor lock and causing the shutdown.
The generator would run for 30-35 minutes just fine and then stop. No clicking noises at all. The motor just ran down like it was out of gas, which I guess is exactly what a fuel pump failure does.

I could prime it to get gas back in the carb and restart, but it would run for only 20-30 seconds before shutting down again. If I let it cool an hour or two, it would restart but die again after 30 minutes. It just would not run after the generator got hot.

The local Cummins shop diagnosed the problem and replaced the fuel pump. That was March, 2017 and it’s not died since.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks Bob, that would be great. I just installed a shelf in that compartment this morning. Gives me a lot more storage. Looks like you are booking ahead with several projects. Enjoy!! Jimmyd
Hey Jimmy, sorry it took so long, but here are some close up pics of the vent on the generator compartment door of the new Greyhawks (and others):

From what I can tell, it's just a hole in the door with trim on the outside that holds in a strip of expanded metal. On the inside, there's a foam/rubber "gasket" type material that holds that down with another piece of trim riveted to the back (would've been better if they'd used screws, but whatever) to hold it all in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0890.jpg   IMG_0891.jpg   IMG_0892.jpg  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Hey Jimmy, sorry it took so long, but here are some close up pics of the vent on the generator compartment door of the new Greyhawks (and others):

From what I can tell, it's just a hole in the door with trim on the outside that holds in a strip of expanded metal. On the inside, there's a foam/rubber "gasket" type material that holds that down with another piece of trim riveted to the back (would've been better if they'd used screws, but whatever) to hold it all in.

Thanks for the pic. I’m about to do this to my GreyHawk gen compartment door. This is just the way I planned on doing it and it’s good to see how the factory decided to do it.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote