Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #41

Thanks Bob. That looks fairly simple. It gives me a good starting point.
Take care and enjoy your upcoming trip. We are preparing for a month long trip as well. Happy travels. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Thanks Bob. That looks fairly simple. It gives me a good starting point.
Take care and enjoy your upcoming trip. We are preparing for a month long trip as well. Happy travels. Jimmyd
Jimmy...you and Bob take care a have fun on your trips. Were heading to Colorado in the morning...cooler weather and going to do a little trout fishing!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #43

Thank you Cabinetmaker. Hope you get some big fish and cooler weather up there. Enjoy!! Jimmyd
Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Jimmy...you and Bob take care a have fun on your trips. Were heading to Colorado in the morning...cooler weather and going to do a little trout fishing!
We're enjoying fall weather now.
But the seasonal afternoon thunderstorms are back.

Those storms a little more aggressive that usual.
We've had hail storms more this year than I can recall in the past.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle 1 View Post
Second AC cost me $2,400, installed. From what I experienced and have read, this is the only solution to cooling the RV when temps are much above 90 and less if the RV is parked in the sun. The generator issue only compounds the problem because it will not run more than about 30-40 minutes while driving down the road so the RV warms up quickly due to outside temps and road/engine heat while traveling. I have just tried changing the oil with Onan 30 weight oil and am experimenting with the amount of oil I put in the engine. The guy at the Onan place told me whatever you do, do not overfill the oil. With heat comes expansion and the sensor shuts the engine down thinking it has too much oil. He said as long as there is oil on the stick I will be fine. Also said if I were to not have enough oil, the sensor would shut it down due to low oil. I have had it running for two hours on a day above 90* and it did not shut down but I still want to keep trying to find the optimum amount of oil to keep in the engine. I asked about synthetic oil and he said there is no need to use them because there is no oil filter, and I should be changing the oil at around 150 hours anyway, so the benefit of synthetic oil is lost. Give this a try and let me know how it works for you. One more thing he said was Jayco is very aware of this issue and knows they screwed up by placing the generator in a such a tight space and not getting enough ventilation to properly cool the generator. It's the old Jayco blames Onan and Onan blames Jayco story, and with my recent experiences with Jayco, I have no doubt the fault lies with. them.
War Eagle, can you tell me who installed your second AC? Maybe we can talk with them about doing an install for us. I had taken it to our dealer over in Panama City before the hurricane and almost lost the coach to the storm. It’s a miracle that it only received minor paint damage and a few broken parts. Everything around it was flipped over or totally destroyed. I’d like to keep it but we must get a second AC. Thanks, Jimmyd
Old 10-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #46

Burton Campers in Calera, AL. Their number is 205-668-0075. Ask for Lyle. Lyle and Burton are the only reason I still have a Jayco. I cannot say enough good things about them.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #47

Thanks so much War Eagle. That is great.
I was considering going up to Red Bay, Al. to get my paint work done by some of the Tiffin guys and this may work out good.
Thanks again and safe travels. Jimmyd
Old 10-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #48

Quote:
War Eagle, can you tell me who installed your second AC? Maybe we can talk with them about doing an install for us. I had taken it to our dealer over in Panama City before the hurricane and almost lost the coach to the storm. It’s a miracle that it only received minor paint damage and a few broken parts. Everything around it was flipped over or totally destroyed. I’d like to keep it but we must get a second AC. Thanks, Jimmyd
Wow Jimmyd...glad you guys are ok. Didn't know your new C went through Michael!
Old 10-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Wow Jimmyd...glad you guys are ok. Didn't know your new C went through Michael!
Thanks Mike, we had to evacuate our house the morning of October 9th. We installed all the shutters on the 8th and that night received the evacuation notice. Luckily for us on a recent trip back from Mississippi we stayed at a campground that rented cabins because we didn’t have the coach. My house here on the Gulf was built to the hurricane code and we were very lucky. No damage just a lot of debris in our property. The coach was a real miracle. Large Class A’s had there windows blown out and smaller units were tossed every which way. When we saw our coach we were astonished. We now named it LUCKY.
Got to get a few paint repairs over the winter and have ordered a new Fan- Tastic fan for one that ripped off.
Take care and safe travels. Jimmyd
Old 10-28-2018, 11:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Sorry you're having an issue, but a 15,000 btu air conditioner whether in a JAYCO or FOREST RIVER unit is 15,000 btu's. The "trend" you're talking about would have to be a batch of bad units from COLEMAN/AIRXCEL like we had with the heatpump in our 2015 PINNACLE. Had it replaced twice under warranty. That is an issue JAYCO has no control over.

So what did you replace it with ? and is the replacement doing the job of cooling ?

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Thanks Mike, we had to evacuate our house the morning of October 9th. We installed all the shutters on the 8th and that night received the evacuation notice. Luckily for us on a recent trip back from Mississippi we stayed at a campground that rented cabins because we didn’t have the coach. My house here on the Gulf was built to the hurricane code and we were very lucky. No damage just a lot of debris in our property. The coach was a real miracle. Large Class A’s had there windows blown out and smaller units were tossed every which way. When we saw our coach we were astonished. We now named it LUCKY.
Got to get a few paint repairs over the winter and have ordered a new Fan- Tastic fan for one that ripped off.
Take care and safe travels. Jimmyd
Jimmy, hope you get everything fixed and it turns out the way you want. No fun going through but hopefully you will be back on the road and camping again soon. Sounds like you actually did better than some so that was a blessing. Let us know if you need anything...Mike
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #52

Quote:
Jimmy, hope you get everything fixed and it turns out the way you want. No fun going through but hopefully you will be back on the road and camping again soon. Sounds like you actually did better than some so that was a blessing. Let us know if you need anything...Mike
Thanks Mike, we were very fortunate. Most folks to our west and east sustained lots of damage. Some lost everything and it’s very sad to see.
We brought our coach back to the house last Friday and everything works just fine. You take care and be safe. Jimmyd
Old 11-08-2018, 12:13 AM   #53

We have a 2018 Melbourne 24K with the black/grey paint and in summer the AC would not keep up! I suspect it is due to the dark paint. I don't recall but something tells me my AC is not a 15,000 btu model. I suspect if we see that the AC can't keep up next summer again I will be buying a bigger AC for it...assuming I can increase the size of an OEM AC. Anyway, sorry to hear of your issues, I hope you get your problem resolved.

/Z/
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote