Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2024, 04:55 PM   #1

Correct Water Fill Process Redhawk 31f

Yes, I am a newbie and had a couple questions related to freshwater fill.

1. Position 1 and 6 City fill is the correct alignment to fill a home or RV park, correct? I started the process and assumed 40-45 psi is about right. Will it shut off auto when full? Also, after 30 minutes or so I pushed the indictor button and it didn't change from 1/2 tank full to 3/4 or any change. Does it take long at 45 psi to go from 1/2 tank to 3/4 on indicator?

2. Also, Normal is the correct setting with water pump on going down the road or when the tank is full and just want to use shower or use sink? correct

3. what is the purpose of City fixtures?
CarlParks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:50 PM   #2
RPR

1. Trying to fill tank all the way. Water will come out the overflow line when full. Gauge not changing. Can you hear or fill water flowing through your hose. 2. Correct 3. Use when hooked up to external water source at camp site. Will not fill tank but supplies to all faucets, shower etc. Do not turn water pump on.
RPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:56 PM   #3

I have a Greyhawk 31F, but assume the valves/plumbing is the same on all Jayco Class C motorhomes.

Yes, 1 and 6 will fill your tank from a pressurized source (city water). When the tank is full water runs out your vent lines. My unit has three vent lines, and I assume your does too.

I don't know what my water pressure at my home, but it only takes about 20 minutes to fill.
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:01 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDagny View Post
I have a Greyhawk 31F, but assume the valves/plumbing is the same on all Jayco Class C motorhomes.

Yes, 1 and 6 will fill your tank from a pressurized source (city water). When the tank is full water runs out your vent lines. My unit has three vent lines, and I assume your does too.

I don't know what my water pressure at my home, but it only takes about 20 minutes to fill.

Get a line meter for the fill hose. Don't be guessing about whether it is full or not. That expands and can damage tanks.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Get a line meter for the fill hose. Don't be guessing about whether it is full or not. That expands and can damage tanks.
That is why there are 3 overflow hoses to keep the tank from pressurizing. When water starts to come out you are filled and shut off the water.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:40 PM   #6

Here's a little pdf file that shows how the utility center works and how to align the valves for various things. I can't remember who originally created this but I got it from this forum. Normal is used when you want to use the pump to pressurize the water system from the tank. As you said, most useful when you're driving down the road or boondocking. City fixtures is for pressurizing the water system from an attached hose, such as when at a campground or home. Leave the pump off for that. Hope this helps!
UtilityCenterManual.pdf
Old 02-22-2024, 02:08 PM   #7

I always turn the water pump off when traveling down the road. I don't want to have a water line connection come loose and water gushing out as I'm driving. I would rather discover it when I'm parked.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:19 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
That is why there are 3 overflow hoses to keep the tank from pressurizing. When water starts to come out you are filled and shut off the water.

I had three over flows on the Cyclone, I also used a water meter when filling. I knew that the tanks, lines, and water heater gave a complete fill a 114 gallons so at about 100 I backed off the flow to finish the fill and as the first overflow started dripping water, I closed it, then with the second and third the same process.

This avoids over pressurizing the tanks and blowing the cross flow off, wasting water by allowing all the over flows to leak before shutting down.

That process is a bit more organized that just turning on the hose, and letting what ever happens happen.

And you can over pressurize the tanks even with three overflows, which as mentioned blows the cross hose off, expands the tanks and can lead to the need to replace blown tanks. ASK ME HOW I KNOW!
While I did not blow the tanks I did blow the cross hose off dumping about 100 gals on the ground, and leading to the need to remove the underbelly to fix the problem

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 07:03 PM   #9

CAG,
Unless I were to completely empty the tank I would have no way to know how many gallons to add. I fill the tank with half flow until it vents out the three hoses. Have been doing this for many years with no problems on different
RVs. The ones who try connecting the overflow hoses into one with a shut off run into problems. Half flow to fill is the answer.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
CAG,
Unless I were to completely empty the tank I would have no way to know how many gallons to add. I fill the tank with half flow until it vents out the three hoses. Have been doing this for many years with no problems on different
RVs. The ones who try connecting the overflow hoses into one with a shut off run into problems. Half flow to fill is the answer.
X2
20 ft. Aluminum cargo trailer
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
1. Trying to fill tank all the way. Water will come out the overflow line when full. Gauge not changing. Can you hear or fill water flowing through your hose. 2. Correct 3. Use when hooked up to external water source at camp site. Will not fill tank but supplies to all faucets, shower etc. Do not turn water pump on.
Good idea but donít travel with a full water tank. Itíll siphon out while you drive. I fill mine to 2/3 only. Unless you want to do that whole conversion that some people seem to be doing.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote