Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #21

Flat tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBP View Post
I have a jayco greyhawk 31f and thinking of flat towing my 2013 Ford edge. Does anyone have an idea what the cost is and what items would be needed? I was quoted between $4,000-5,000! Seems like alot. Any feedback greatly appreciated
. Spent $4000 to get my Jeep Gladiator setup to tow behind my Class C. First time I used it was well worth the expense.
Michael Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBP View Post
I have a jayco greyhawk 31f and thinking of flat towing my 2013 Ford edge. Does anyone have an idea what the cost is and what items would be needed? I was quoted between $4,000-5,000! Seems like alot. Any feedback greatly appreciated
Back in 2014 I paid about $3200-$3500 to have my 2013 Edge Limited 3.5 l V-6, FWD, setup to Flat tow behind my SOB Deisel Pusher (Base Plate, 10K towbar, SMI Air Force 1 brake controller, electrical and labor). So your quote sounds reasonable for 2022.

NOTE: If you flat tow your Edge, you need to have then Transmission oil changed every frequently if you tow alot. I towed our Edge about 30,000 miles and had about 30,000 regular driving miles and ended up ruining my trans ($3500 dollar repair), it would have been a lot cheaper to have the transmission fluid every 20,000 miles - Lesson Learned!

-Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Edge_Towbar.JPG  
rgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:57 PM   #23

I flat tow my 2014 Edge (3.5 L automatic) behind my Ggreyhawk 30N. Check your owners manual about flat towing. My 2014 is flat towable without any drivetrain mods. But there is a specific procedure that should be followed. Biggest problem I had was getting shop to properly add a charge circuit to keep battery charged. Price you were quoted for the job sadly is about right.
thomhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #24

Flat Tow

I have a 2017 Smart Car (Automatic) and I personally installed the tow plate and everything. Total Cost was about $1300.00. Can't even tell the car is back there and it's easy to connect and disconnect. I flat tow with all four down, just a special procedure to get it into tow mode.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote