Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

Country Fill

This feature (country fill) on our new Greyhawk 31FS was a blessing on a recent dry camping trip. I'm confused about exactly how the system is supposed to work. Is the pump supposed to turn on when I set the control valves to the 'country fill' position or must I manually turn the pump on. It appears that if the pump is on when you go to 'country fill' then it will draw a few inches from the container with the extra water and then quit drawing, since we were dry camping, it is logical that the pump be on. However, once the pump stopped drawing, I had to make sure all the pump switches were off in order to get it to draw again. I added water twice and the second time I once again had the pump draw a few inches then quit. This time the only way to get the pump to restart was to cycle the main battery switch. So how is this thing supposed to work?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

A search on google I found this PDF for the MANUAL for the 2013 CLASS C MOTOR HOME which states this:

Country Fill
- This setting allows you to fill your fresh water tank (using the 12-volt water pump) when you do not have access to city water.

Not owning one of these I have no other info to pass along on how this works.. i.e. where does the hose go that uses the 12VDC pump to suck water from a portable water can?

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #3

On our 05, I think this setting is the came as the "sanitize" setting, where you're supposed to suck up a 5 gallon mixture of bleach and water. Our Granite Ridge, came with a hose that slips over one of the drain lines and drops into a bucket.

I've never used it. When we sanitize, I put bleach in the hose and push it in.

On mine, you have to manually activate the pump, switch the controls to "normal" then use the pump on-demand. I can't imagine that yours is different (but I could be wrong) - if you're right and it shuts off automatically, there would need to be a water level switch somewhere.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

Smile country fill

I just picked up my pinnacle. During the walk through the tech said in order for the country fill to work the screen at the fill spot needed to be turned around and then the pointed part would contact something and it would then pump the water from the container. Have not tried it but walk thru was fri. 7/11/2014 that's what I remember. Hope it helps
campfire coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #5

Did your new unit come with instructions, that should explain it.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #6

not really a little in the book and nowhere about turning the screen around.
campfire coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

Country Fill

After having read the instructions, the one thing that is not clear is that your container might have to be higher, the pump may not have enough lift to pull the water. My pumps stays on the entire time.
Jim
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

I agree with having the container higher. This was mentioned to me when we did the PDI. This is the first time I have heard about a pointed screen. My system works as is. The pump stays on until I turn it off.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #9

country fill

We recently purchased an '11 Greyhawk which also has Country Fill (also called Normal) as a choice for the water valving. I've been checking out everything I can since there are a few differences between this and the Winnebago we previously owned.

For Country Fill you basically just have to be sure there is water in the clean tank and set the valves to Normal. When you turn on a water pump switch it will run until pressure builds in the system then shut off. When you open a faucet, flush the toilet, etc, the pressure drops and the pump comes on until the pressure comes back up. There are several switches in different locations, so far I've found 3, so in order to be sure the pump is not inadvertently left on, turn it off with whichever you used to turn it on.

The only part that confuses me is that if you're set up and using site supplied water you have to set the valves to City Fill. I suppose by someone's logic that makes sense.
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #10

That doesn't sound right to me: Country fill and normal as in the same position?

Here's what I'm thinking:
Normal - Pump works from the water tank. It's got a pressure switch, so the pump will run when a decrease in water pressure is seen.

Country Fill - this is filling from an external container or source of water that isn't pressurized.. In this case, the water is pumped from the external container (via a hose you need to hook up) to the RV water tank. To use the water you'll need to go back to "normal".

City Fill - this is for filling the tank with a pressurized source of water. It by-passes the water pump completely. This is used to fill the RV tank with a garden hose.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
Site Team

You have it correct. There are also several more combinations for sanitizing the tank, lines, and winterizing.

Easy to understand in the owners manual I got, but it is different from what I was used to.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #12

I stand corrected. Guess I just added to the confusion.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #13

Howdy,
I have a 31FK, likely the same setup you have in the water department though. What cb1000rider stated is correct. When you flip to country fill or the sanitize positions you need to turn the pump on. Nice that the put a switch back there for you if the suction doesn't start, you may have some air in the lines breaking the vacuum, a good way to bleed out the air is to let the pump run and open the low point drains until they quit spitting air, generally just a few seconds. Then you'll notice strong suction to fill you tank and no need to elevate your fill container.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 AM   #14

cb1000rider is correct with how my Designer is set up.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #15

I have a 2013 Melbourne 29A and the following is from my owner's manual, Page 8-10.

"COUNTRY WATER FILL

Generally speaking, this setting is used to fill the water tank when dry camping.
1. If needed, sanitize the water system prior to travel.
2. Move the “water heater bypass valve” to the NORMAL position.
3. Remove the city water connection inlet cap and attach a short non-toxic
drinking water hose running from your container of potable water to the city
water connection inlet.
4. Place the utility center valves in the “Country Fill” position.
5. Turn ON the water pump.
6. Enter the motor home and open the cold water supply faucets to bleed air
from the water lines. When the water lines are nearly full, you may experience
some "air pockets." Allow them to escape before closing the cold water supply
faucets.
7. The water heater will fill first, followed by the supply lines and faucets.
8. When at your campsite, turn the appropriate (12-volt or 120-volt) water heater
control switch ON.
To disconnect
During the filling process, periodically check the fresh water tank level using the
monitor panel located in the Command Center. When the fresh water tank is full, it
is normal to see water running from the fresh water overflow tubes onto the
ground.
9. Shut OFF the water pump.
10. Disconnect the non-toxic drinking water hose and reinstall the city water
connection inlet cap."
hknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #16

The only part of the whole process that to me is not logical is that the valve arrangement that's called "Normal" is for using the pump to supply fixture water. We don't dry camp so for us that's not "normal". However, when we're on the road it is handy when you neend to flush the toilet.. There is a pump switch conveniently located in the bathroom as well as at the inlet location and the Command Center.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #17
Site Team

My wife has a problem with that term. I told her that is the commonly used term so get over it.

After all do you have a "Stop" button on your computer, no you push the start button to turn it off.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hknight View Post
I have a 2013 Melbourne 29A and the following is from my owner's manual, Page 8-10.

"COUNTRY WATER FILL

Generally speaking, this setting is used to fill the water tank when dry camping.
1. If needed, sanitize the water system prior to travel.
2. Move the “water heater bypass valve” to the NORMAL position.
3. Remove the city water connection inlet cap and attach a short non-toxic
drinking water hose running from your container of potable water to the city
water connection inlet.
4. Place the utility center valves in the “Country Fill” position.
5. Turn ON the water pump.
6. Enter the motor home and open the cold water supply faucets to bleed air
from the water lines. When the water lines are nearly full, you may experience
some "air pockets." Allow them to escape before closing the cold water supply
faucets.
7. The water heater will fill first, followed by the supply lines and faucets.
8. When at your campsite, turn the appropriate (12-volt or 120-volt) water heater
control switch ON.
To disconnect
During the filling process, periodically check the fresh water tank level using the
monitor panel located in the Command Center. When the fresh water tank is full, it
is normal to see water running from the fresh water overflow tubes onto the
ground.
9. Shut OFF the water pump.
10. Disconnect the non-toxic drinking water hose and reinstall the city water
connection inlet cap."
The opening of the cold water tap inside the RV is a step I had not considered. Would turning on the cold water tap of the external shower have the same effect, or do I need to make sure that the tap I'm opening is at the highest level inside the unit?

Thanks for the clarification, this might be the solution to the problem I'm having, if it works.

BW$$
Bubba Warbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #19

I've used "Country Fill" several times to refill my water tank when boondocking at races. I carry a couple of 7 gallon water jugs and fill them at a site faucet.
Using the onboard water pump this way works it very hard.

Here's what helps:
  • Elevate the water supply jug as high as possible.
  • Use a very short hose.
  • Make sure the hose is sealed and doesn't admit any air at the RV connection.
Also, the water connection on the RV contains a check valve. The water pump has to work very hard to suck water out of my jug and also pull open this check valve. It works, but very very slowly.

There is a formed screen in the inlet connection, that if you remove it and reverse it, presses open the check valve.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #20
MD3

I ended up buying this pump on Amazon.
Makes the transfer from my 58gal on board aux tank to my main tank easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
country fill, water pump