Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2022, 08:16 AM   #1

Country fill issues

Goodmorning and Happy Easter To everyone.
We are very new to the RV life, we bought a 2021 RedHawk last April took 4 or 5 trips to State Parks last season. This year after we had a local RV repair shop blow out the anti freeze and install a set of scissor jacks behind the rear axle to help with the rocking as we walk around after set up.
Now we have sever air bubbles in the water from all fixtures when drawing on the cold side, when we switch to the hot side of the faucets the air bubbles disappear. Then we needed to do a country fill of our fresh water and it vapor locked the entire system! I had to purge the air from the low point drains just to get the pump to work. Air shot out of every fixture and then the system ran again in the " normal" setting, but the pump would turn on run for 1 or 2 seconds then turn off, this would happen 3 to 5 times then the pump would sit idle until the fixtures call for water. If I run the water system on "city fixtures" hooked to the water at my house there is no issues at all.. no excessive air, no pressure issues. Any ideas of what's wrong?? Did my pump bite the dust?
Bowhunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:37 AM   #2
Site Team

I doubt there's anything wrong with your pump, they're pretty durable. It sounds like it's sucking air somewhere between the freshwater tank and the pump. A connection that's not tight enough? Do you have any dripping anywhere when the city water is used? A low point drain may not be completely closed, or the winterizing valve(s) may be in the wrong configuration. Just some guesses.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #3

With my greyhawk before i can draw water for country fill or sanitize i have to turn the small screen inside out to open inner shutoff backflow device located just inside hose hook up port.
PLANE MAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #4

JFlightRisk, no water leaking anywhere. When I try to country fill it vapor locks my entire water system. I can't even get water to drip from low point drain valves. And after trying to country fill the pump will not even run. I have to hook up my hose to city water and push the water through the system then the pump will work as normal, with my valves in the normal configuration.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #5

PLANE MAKER , I tried turning the screen around. I got the exact same result a complete vapor lock on my entire system. After trying to country fill if I open my kitchen faucet it actually has a suction for a few seconds.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #6

JFlightRisk as far as the winterizing values being in the correct position, are you talking about the 3 hot water tank bypass values ? Ever since the repair facility blew out the antifreeze the water coming from my cold side has had a crazy amount of air bubbles in it, likes it carbonated! Hot side the bubbles go away. I was able to country fill 1 (5) gallon water jug into my fresh tank yesterday while dry camping and then all the problems started with the 2nd one. The started to do it job, kept running but stopped siphoning the water from the jug and my system was vapor locked no water would run from anywhere ����
Old 04-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #7

And one other thing, once this vapor lock occurs, it doesn't matter what faucet you open or even if it's flushing the toilet. When the city water is hooked up to get water moving again the air coming out blows water everywhere!! Like it's CO2 charged, I mean powerfull!!
Old 04-16-2022, 03:22 PM   #8

Bubbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter1 View Post
And one other thing, once this vapor lock occurs, it doesn't matter what faucet you open or even if it's flushing the toilet. When the city water is hooked up to get water moving again the air coming out blows water everywhere!! Like it's CO2 charged, I mean powerfull!!
After evicting my 32 yo son from my tt a little over a year ago, I drained everything and set it up for storage. He had been filling fresh water with a regular garden hose and water smelled like it. After draining, I put 1/2 cup of bleach in fresh water tank twice, then fill 40 gallon tank with city water. With tank full, all drain valves previously opened now closed, turned on pump. System pressured up to 58psi. Oh...wait...in about 10 minutes pump came on again while I was arranging cabinets. In another 12 minutes same thing happened, pump was cycling without any faucets on. Went out to check drain, all OK. Got back to coach door and found water dripping on the curbside rear tire directly below kitchen sink. And it didn't smell like bleach. Apparently the joint that screws onto the hot water at the faucet was leaking and had been long enough to leave lime deposits on everything. After replacing the fitting, let the solution sit 24 hours.
Although the tt had been hooked to a septic, and I asked before I moved it (tank level indicators showed 1/4 gray and black) I was informed tanks had been emptied, they had not. Following day attempted to transfer fresh load to gray and black tanks. First place I found a problem was toilet. Black tank FULL...to the top. So I started running bath sink, and soon it was backing up in shower! I had to rig down and haul to campground and dump. Fortunately the black tank came equipped with a tank flush hook up. I had to flush black tank for over 20 minutes to clear solids. (Oh what a stench!) While I was doing that, I again ran pump to transfer bleached water into holding tanks. Got about 30 gallons transferred into gray tank and noticed what you mentioned, "carbonated" water. Finished flushing black tank, as as making transfer of last of treated water into black tank, again got bubbling, jetting water at toilet and through shower hose. Finished transfer, drained both tanks went home. Found water pump filter housing apparently had sustained freeze damage and had a hairline crack. Ah the joy of 'children'. Fixed it with a smear of epoxy.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:09 AM   #9

Well this morning, after trying to country fill again yesterday evening and AGAIN got a complete vapor lock in the water system, I filled the fresh tank to 2/3 rds and pushed the air out of the system with my hose hooked to my house water. Once all air was again purged I switched the valves to " normal" and turned on my pump. No water any where but very weird sound coming from the kitchen faucet. Like a whooshing sound. I went back to the water pump, it was running but not build any pressure and sounding like water was going back and forth inside the pump. I think I found my problem.. and that us why I kept getting the carbonated water effect from all the faucets.. the pump was on its way to the bone yard.. ??