Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Country Fill Tank???

Hi,

Our situation is that we're about to head off to "almost boondocking". There will be water but it will be out of reach of the hose.

My thought was to fill a 5 gallon jug and then just use the Country Fill switch on our Jayco Greyhawk 31FK to pull from the jug and into the coach tank.

I've got the valves switched over to Country Fill and I turned on the pump.
It seemed to work for a minute; it seemed to pump out of the jug - but now it's stopped. The pumps running but nothing is being pumped out of the jug.

Am I doing something wrong?
Am I misunderstanding what Country Fill is supposed to do?

I'm wondering if pressure has built up in the coach tank?

thanks!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes you missing a step! The water from the jug goes into the fresh tank. When done pumping into the tank you have to position the switches to Normal to use it from the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #3

Try reversing the screen washer on the MH inlet. I believe there is a checkvalve just inside there to avoid backsplash, reversing the pointed screen will open that calve for you.
It worked for me.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Are you filling an empty system? When I tried doing this with our new 31FK right after we picked it up (since mostly all the camping we do is dry), I had the same problem. Once I filled the system using City Fill and got all the air out of the lines, it works fine.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

Thanks all - norty, yes - I was attempting to fill the *tank*, not run directly from the jug.

Race - no, the coach tank was about 1/4 full. I did try opening the faucets, and ran the pump to purge - but I'll try that again.

DreamGolfer - ok, I'll give that a shot.

This is all a practice run in my driveway before I head out, so I appreciate all of the suggestions.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

I've used the Country Fill on our 31FK many times when we "camp" in the apartment parking lot while visiting our daughter in Nashville. Never had to reverse the inlet washer on ours but others seem to have to do that to get it going.

I don't think it's possible to build up pressure in the freshwater tank. It seems to have an overflow outlet that dumps water when filling it with a hose.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #7

Under powered pump

You will find you have the same issue down the road when winterizing. It seems to me that the pump does not have sufficient power to depress the check valve.

That is where flipping the screen comes in. I had to do the same to get my Country Fill and my Winterization to function properly.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #8

Had a similar issue with my 31 FS. It pumped ok for five minutes than slowed to a trickle from a 5 gal Poland spring jug. I tried elevating the jug but that only helped a little. With three more jugs to go was getting a little scared until, with the pump running in country mode, I flipped the switches back into normal than back to country and then it magically sucked in the water at a rate of a few minutes per jug. I suspect there was an air pocket impeding the flow initially until it released in normal mode.
DumpStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #9

Whelp - I'm dense. I don't know how to flip the screen. It's surrounded by the plastic, knurled knob. Can someone help me and tell me how to pop it out, please?

thanks!

Picture not showing - here's the direct link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg0qif204q..._fill.jpg?dl=0
Old 06-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #10

Angry

I've given up on the Country Fill also, wish it was just a simple gravity fill, maybe the could be plumbed somehow.
Also unable to get the screen out, and reverse, which is supposed to make the Country fill work.
Anyone who has had success with that? And can describe how?
Old 06-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #11

Country Fill

Conroy: Remove the hose from the city water connection. Next there is a washer in the city water connection that has a screen attached to it (it is like a regular hose washer but it has a screen to prevent debris from entering your tank). Just pull on the screen until it comes out. Then reverse the washer so that the point of the screen is oriented into the city water connection. This should depress the button that prevents water from leaving the system when you are using your water pump. The country fill setting with the water pump turned on should now pump water out of a container and into your fresh water tank.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #12

I use the Country fill all the time with no problems. i put the 5 gal jug in the storage compartment by the rv fill. Insert a 4 ft hose into the jug, attach it to the fill connection and line it up for county fill and turn on the pump. open the cold water side of the shower to let air escape. Some times i have to loosen the hose connection to the rv just a little untill i hear air sucking. then the pump takes off and empties the jug in a few minutes.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #13

Trippers - I gave up too (for now). I had my Proverbial 20% off coupon for Harbor Fright (pun intended) and grabbed their 12V Utility Pump for $30 since I need a solution for this weekend.

It worked fine.
One end in the 6 gallon carboy, the other hooked to the inlet.
I tried "City Fill" using the pump as pressure and it worked pretty well.
Then I tried "Country Fill" with the HF pump pushing and the Coach pump on "pulling" and that worked a smidge better.

It's not going to set any records and it'll take 5 trips to fill it - but it works.

The pump is 12V and 4 pounds so I tossed it in one of the outside bins.
I think it'll work until I can figure out how to make Country Fill work as advertised.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
Conroy: Remove the hose from the city water connection. Next there is a washer in the city water connection that has a screen attached to it (it is like a regular hose washer but it has a screen to prevent debris from entering your tank). Just pull on the screen until it comes out. Then reverse the washer so that the point of the screen is oriented into the city water connection. This should depress the button that prevents water from leaving the system when you are using your water pump. The country fill setting with the water pump turned on should now pump water out of a container and into your fresh water tank.

Doh!

Ok - I will try that tomorrow.
I threw $30 at a solution since I needed something for this weekend, but I'll try that!

Thank you!
Old 06-25-2016, 06:42 AM   #15

Air in the lines was our issue (that was my meaning of an empty system, not an empty fresh tank). Try bleeding the air out of the system and give that a try. Worked for us. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #16

Flipping the screen to open the check valve works. I cant imagine this is how it was intended. The check valve apparently has too much resistance to be over come by the pump--
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #17

We have a 2016 GreyHawk 29MV and had the same problem. I called our local Jayco shop from the campground, and they actually told me to flip the screen around. I just needed a small flathead screwdriver to catch the edge and it popped right out. Once I flipped it, it pumped water just fine. I agree, I don't think it was intended to work this way, but it does work. Its an "undocumented feature". LOL.
dpchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #18

Flipping the screen is not just for Jayco's. I owned a Gulfstream where I had to do the same thing. I would think most Class C's have the same check valve.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #19

Yah folks, flipping the screen around and then bleeding a little of the air out of the lines works like a charm. Here's a video I just did on it... https://youtu.be/rEOh7Q9XZpw
Shilo7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #20

Yes, love using the Country Fill, my main regret on our 2015 jayco 29mv vs. our old Southwind Class A was a huge loss of fresh water capacity.
But if we have fresh water available we fill up our tank with the country fill. Have not tried reversing the screen, sounds good to try, but did find that flipping the country fill knob to other settings like city fixtures and back to country again while pump,is running seemed to start the suction process.
Takes bout five trips with a 5 gallon jug to fill full till water runs out of overflow. I bought a collapsible dolly from Costco, that saves my back for transporting the jugs.
Also installed on-off valves on all 3 overflow hoses, shut valves to off when on road, prevents losing almost half a tank of water when on the road, open valves when we stop, can still flush toilet, get small dribble from faucet without problem, or causing tank to compress without venting.with valves closed.
This is a big problem with this type tank on Jaycos, a really crummy design.
Look at Jayco blogs for how many owners have solved this water loss problem.