Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

Courtesy light

I've been trying to figure out how the courtesy lights are supposed to work in our 3230. I think there are two at floor level - one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. They don't seem to work on any particular rhyme or reason. They don't usually respond to the two interior courtesy light switches (one in the bedroom, one by the coach door), however I have had the kitchen one come on when the electric steps go out. I know I need to go through the step wiring connections under the unit and get rid of the stupid crimp on connectors - and I'm guessing the courtesy lights may be affected by those same gremlins.

It would be really helpful to know under what conditions the CL's are supposed to function - that way at least I'll know what I'm aiming for. The Jayco manual seems to be silent on the issue (unless I missed something).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #2

Are you the original owner? If not, someone re-wired the coach. They should function with the switch only, that's the way our 2001 worked.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Thanks Grumpy... No, we're not the original owners - just bought the rig last month. I've been sorta figuring either some creative rewiring and/or the ill-advised crimp connectors (or both). I've been sorting out some other more critical issues but hope to dig into this before the year is out.

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10
Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #4

Update - well, they started working. No idea why, except maybe just bad connections. One was burned out, and of course there was no bulb number on it. The owner's manual lists other bulbs but not these (they are small). Bulb #194 is physically the same size, so I bought that. It appears to be roughly the same brightness. Can anybody confirm the correct bulb number? If not, I'll contact the factory.

2000 Jayco Designer 3230
32' - E450 - Triton V10