Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #1

Cover or Not to Cover - the big question

There are numerous conversations about covering your RV/TT or not to cover on here. But we are planning our final trips in our 2015 Greyhawk 29MV before we retire it for the winter.

We live in Chicago-land with lots of winter (freezing rain, snow and wind). It will be parked exposed/outside and wondering if we should buy a custom cover or not? Do the benefits outweigh the risks in covering for 3-4 months each year? Our winters can be tough and want to protect our investment.

Your personal thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

If you've got ice and snow with temps that run above freezing for several hours a day...

Cover!

Water is insidious stuff. It will settle into tight places while the sun is shining and then expand as ice at night.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Even on the cover water and ice will settle. I bet 95% of RV's doesn't get a cover and are still surviving. Cover mfg.'s see a nice in the market and there always who bite.
I haven't covered a unit in 45 years and still keep my stuff in well maintained condition. If the TT mfg.'s and dealers would cover all their units wouldn't you think they would. It is all about preferences.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

I have posted my reasoning before... But will gladly repeat it. Cover, cover, cover!

Last winter a skylight in my old TT became brittle and developed several cracks in the top layer. If I had not had a good quality cover on during the spring thaw the melt would have meant huge amounts of water in my roof and walls. Nothing is more damaging to a trailer then water.

And to Mike's point... Ice settling on the roof is not the major problem. It is the repeated Freeze, Thaw, Freeze cycles that occur in the spring that is so damaging. A good quality cover will keep the ice on top of the fabric where it may create a snow load but will not enter small crevices where it can refreeze and expand. It is the exact same concept as what occurs to your water lines... You would never leave water in them.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #5

I absolutely agree with Mike837Go. A build up of ice and snow will melt from the bottom, seep and puddle in crevices or dimples and then refreeze at night. The damage will progress over years, not months. Cheap protection, if you stay where its cold and wet.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:09 AM   #6

To add to the reasons... Your Rubber roof and RV paint are significantly damaged by UV rays. The black streaks we all endure every year are a direct result of the oxidation of your roof, in other words the slow destruction of the material as a result of exposure to sunlight. Can they survive in the sun... Certainly. But a cover is cheap preventative maintenance that and significantly increase the lifespan of your unit and makes your first wash and wax in the spring significantly easier!

The rig will be parked for 4-5 months. Protect it's outside the same way you do the inside. Winterize your lines, protect against rodents and put your cover on!

Old 10-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #7

I've heard some say cover...some say not to due to mold & mildew. I guess it's preference.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I've heard some say cover...some say not to due to mold & mildew. I guess it's preference.
If the cover allows air circulation under the trailer and the cover is intact (no significant water intrusion) where is that water that will allow the mold to flourish?

The RV should be rain-tight before covering so there is no 'loose' water aboard when the cover is put on.

The only valid reason for not putting a cover on an intact RV is the chafing that can occur when the wind moves the cover repeatedly over the same place...

That is overcome by securing the cover. Not just draping it. Then inspecting the cover tie-downs every month or so while the cover is on.

Since my RV is parked next to my barn/shop inspections are even more frequent. And flapping noises of loose fabric are investigated immediately.

I understand those that have to park their RV's away from home may choose to not deal with such a regimen.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #9

what about those of us who don't get freezing weather and snow? Lots of rain and very hot sun yes. We use our trailer once a month and store it the remaining 3 weeks rain or shine. We are undecided on whether to cover or not
pervinpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervinpatty View Post
what about those of us who don't get freezing weather and snow? Lots of rain and very hot sun yes. We use our trailer once a month and store it the remaining 3 weeks rain or shine. We are undecided on whether to cover or not
I think in your case, Griswald One is bang on. UV Rays damage the Roof, Paint and who knows what else. If anything, It's to protect from the elements. Sun/Rain/Dirt/Bird crap/Wind and the stuff it carries like Sand/soil which is abrasive.

Do you cover your Tires when stored? If so, then why not protect the entire investment. A few Hundred Bucks is a small investment for piece of mind.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #11

To cover or not to cover

I agree with ALDOJ. I have had a TT, 5th wheel and now an MH and don't cover it for the Canadian winter. I perform good roof maintenance and prep each year for winter storage, in my driveway, and have had no problems. I believe that even on the coldest days when the sun comes out the moisture will evaporate in the wind and sun. Keep the snow accumulation to less than the manufacturers specs and all should be okay. Snow is a good insulator. Cheers.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #12

MF... Couple quick notes... I am envious of your ability to store in your driveway. I suspect you are very much in the minority. I am fotunate to have gated storage 20 minutes from home and a busy active lifestyle means I am not always in a position to check my rig on a weekly basis, let alone a daily basis.

I am not sure I can agree with your evaporation theory. But if it were true, that goes on to support the secondary reason to cover, UV damage. For the evaporation to occur you would need full sun on your rig. If you are like most Canadians, myself included and your rig is parked from late October to Early May why not protect it from damage. If you owned a $80,000 corvette would you leave outside exposed to the elements???

Old 10-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #13

Jack, living just a few miles from you we share our winters. Personally, I cover my TT but it is a personal decision. I've had some chafing but have learned to tighten it a little tighter than I felt ADCO was describing in their videos. Mildew is not an issue in our area. We are worried about wind, snow and ice. I've learned to protect anything that sticks out, like rain gutter (obvious) and antenna coax (not so obvious). I like the feeling of taking the cover off in the spring and spending little time cleaning it in the spring. Back in the 70's when my father had a truck camper, we never covered it and all was good. But he had a son who would help him clean the rig in the spring.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote