Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #1

Cover the RV

Good morning,

Another night of not sleeping thinking of all the little things that go into my decision process of ordering the Seneca. I am now on to how to protect it. I am particularly concerned about protecting that fancy, expensive paint job (I wish they had a white one ).

Living in south Florida, the sun is brutal on a lot of things. I currently cover my 27.5 foot toy hauler trailer with a cover. It seems to protect it well but what a PIA to put on and take off. It is heavy to carry up the ladder and not a fun process.

Now that I am considering a Seneca, I am thinking that extra 10 feet of cover is going to be a real pain. Also, being in south Florida means if I build a carport it must meet the hurricane building code which probably more than double or triples what most of you would pay for one. I thought about a canvas type awning but not sure what i think about that.

What is everyone doing to store their motorhomes and protect from the elements?

Thanks, Mark
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

I see what the California sun does to these RVs so if it were mine I would keep it covered some way some how.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

Look for a 40' storage barn with 14' door at a boat /RV storage place close by. We had one for awhile for the 5th wheel storage. It was like $280/month. Not cheap but I agree a cover that big is too unwieldy. We now have our Seneca in a RV garage attached to the house. It barely fit though. It is priceless being able to go tinker on something with it stored at the house.
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJ View Post
Look for a 40' storage barn with 14' door at a boat /RV storage place close by. We had one for awhile for the 5th wheel storage. It was like $280/month. Not cheap but I agree a cover that big is too unwieldy. We now have our Seneca in a RV garage attached to the house. It barely fit though. It is priceless being able to go tinker on something with it stored at the house.
We are in south Florida. Storage places as you described, if even available, would be be priced much higher. I already have a paved RV pad in my yard with electric. I will keep it at the house because as you said, much of the fun of owning one is being able to tinker with it whenever you want.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Team

IMHO I would gat a cover for it. If it doesn't weigh more than you, it can be pulled up with a rope. If it DOES outweigh you, find a friend/neighbor to give a hand. You won't regret protecting the finish from the elements.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #6

2014 Seneca 37FS. I use the white top only tyvek cover from Camping World. Has held up quite well now into its second year. Keeps the pecan tree crud off the roof. Hoping to build in FL soon where the RV will be under the home which will be on pilings due to the flood zone. Ive gotten pretty good at putting on the cover by myself, but I do have to climb onto the roof.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #7

Building this for our Camper
we had a metal cover but couldn't open the slides
this will have water,sewer, and 30/50 amp serv
Attached Thumbnails
20170102_170525.jpg   20170204_171607.jpg  
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #8

We bought a cover at camping world for our Seneca. I think it was only $400. Super easy to put on. Had to buy an extra high class A cover as the standard class C covers are not nearly tall enough. Even the extra tall is still a good 6" short on the sides at the midway point. But does the trick until I can find some propety to put up a shop big enough to house the RV.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #9

I've been storing for years in south Florida for 6 months intervals from Apr to Nov. At the very least use a cover and don't buy a 400. cover it will be destroyed with the weather here in no time. You'll come back and find of ball of threads. I'm attaching a picture of a class A full body paint that was parked 5 years ago and hasn't move since that has been in open storage here in south Florida. When it was first parked, it looked brand spanking new. The clear coat has burn't off the whole body and it's hard to believe without seeing it happening over the years for yourself. Here's a picture of my last class A that I stored in open storage for 5 years with a cover. Washed and waxed prior to storage and looked the same upon return 6 months later. When I traded it in, it was so immaculate the dealer sold it in a day and a half. Sure its a lot of work and money doing it this way but it's worth it if you want to keep your rig nice, believe me! That's my advice if you can't store inside and has worked fine for me.
Attached Thumbnails
rsz_20170129_151146.jpg   rsz_1_042.jpg   rsz_passslide4_2.jpg  
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote