Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #1

Cracked plumbing?

I just bought my jayco redhawk 26xd last November and am just starting to use it. When I got it the gray and black water pipes busted at the junction to drain because water was trapped near the junction and froze. I got that fixed. Yesterday I opened low points drains and clear water ran out. Now I set the valves on "normal ", hooked up my hose, turned on the water. I went inside to open faucets and water was flying out all over under my sink!! I balled my eyes out and cleaned it up. Did I do something wrong or do you think pipes are cracked? I did find a filter system under the sink where water was flying out. Not sure where the leaks are. I will have my son who does plumbing check it out today. This unit is a 2018 with 5k miles so basically brand new. I live in Minnesota with sub zero temps
adventuregurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
When I got it the gray and black water pipes busted at the junction to drain because water was trapped near the junction and froze. I got that fixed. Yesterday I opened low points drains and clear water ran out. Now I set the valves on "normal ", hooked up my hose, turned on the water. I went inside to open faucets and water was flying out all over under my sink!!
A quick guess, since clear water came out, it wasn't completely Winterized correctly, and antifreeze wasn't pumped into all of the lines. That "clear" water coming out of the low point drains should have been "pink". Sounds like some freezing issues.... considering your water filter cracked/leaked...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
Site Team

Likely there was some water in the kitchen lines that was not drained. The filter in mine came with a hose bypass for the filter which was mounted horizontally under the sink. No way water would drain out without removing the filter and placing the bypass hose in place. It's still there cause it was a source of trouble.

I do my water filtering outside.

I deleted the filter because the cartridge was more expensive than the whole house setup I have, not due to freezing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

You would not have a hose connected if your valves were set to normal, that is on the road or boondocking. You should be set to city if using external water.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
A quick guess, since clear water came out, it wasn't completely Winterized correctly, and antifreeze wasn't pumped into all of the lines. That "clear" water coming out of the low point drains should have been "pink". Sounds like some freezing issues.... considering your water filter cracked/leaked...
That is exactly what I am thinking...just wondering if I did something wrong. The entire gray water tube fell onto the street and cracked off from the connection under the camper. I'm sure that should have never happened no matter what!
Old 04-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
You would not have a hose connected if your valves were set to normal, that is on the road or boondocking. You should be set to city if using external water.
I asked several local people and nobody really knew the difference. LOL....good to know! Still, water should not have shot out all over my bathroom from under the sink and entire gray water tube cracked off from under the camper and fell on the street
Old 04-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #7

Sounds to me like your RV was not winterized.
Like it was mentioned above, you should have had PINK antifreeze coming out, not clear water! I believe either your filters are not tight or they are cracked, thus the water spraying out.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
I asked several local people and nobody really knew the difference. LOL....good to know!
That's what the owners manual is for.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
I asked several local people and nobody really knew the difference. LOL....good to know! Still, water should not have shot out all over my bathroom from under the sink and entire gray water tube cracked off from under the camper and fell on the street
Did you buy it from a dealer or a private party. If it was a dealer they should have had it winterized before delivery since you are in MineSNOWta..
Old 04-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Toilet valve and kitchen sink tap are the most replaced items after the winter season.
This year it is really bad as winter weather was early in Canada.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Toilet valve and kitchen sink tap are the most replaced items after the winter season.
This year it is really bad as winter weather was early in Canada.
It was winterized at the dealer. I actually think the lines weren't blown out and antifreeze put into every area. The low point drains drained clear water yesterday but the sinks had antifreeze in them. There was water in the gray and black water pipes that busted off from the junction that the dealer paid for already. The entire gray water tube fell off of the camper today. Looked cracked where it was hooked up to the underbelly. assume frozen water cracked that too. Hopefully it's just busted in the kitchen and gray black drain area and not the entire plumbing system
Old 04-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Did you buy it from a dealer or a private party. If it was a dealer they should have had it winterized before delivery since you are in MineSNOWta..
I bought it from the dealer late November. It was "winterized" when I picked it up. At first the gray and black water tube busted loose at the junction from frozen water sitting there and the dealer paid for that to be fixed. It's worse than I thought. Like I said too the low point drains had clear water with no antifreeze in them yesterday when I drained them.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I can't remember if I answered your quote. My son and I are going to look at it carefully later today. He is a plumber so that should help! I assume froze then cracked connections from a bad winterization
Old 04-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
The entire gray water tube fell off of the camper today. Looked cracked where it was hooked up to the underbelly. assume frozen water cracked that too.
Didn't you have a problem with those drain connections/pipes months ago, and thought you backed over something and cracked those pipes when you brought the rig home?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post812732
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #15

I don't know if someone already mentioned this. I had the same issue. I took the removable panel out under the sink and the fittings were hardly hand tightened from the factory. Not always doom and gloom with these RVs. Alot of factory oversights. I actually had a bottle of beer jamming the sofa slide that someone left in there when assembling the unit. Had to remove some of the slide wood and carpet to get it out 3 days after owning it. Apparently you can drink on the job in a Jayco assembly plant. I drank it.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #16

Super funny guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndsommer40 View Post
I don't know if someone already mentioned this. I had the same issue. I took the removable panel out under the sink and the fittings were hardly hand tightened from the factory. Not always doom and gloom with these RVs. Alot of factory oversights. I actually had a bottle of beer jamming the sofa slide that someone left in there when assembling the unit. Had to remove some of the slide wood and carpet to get it out 3 days after owning it. Apparently you can drink on the job in a Jayco assembly plant. I drank it.
Good idea I will have my son do that! OMG...you totally crack me up!
Old 04-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #17

Quote:
I just bought my jayco redhawk 26xd last November and am just starting to use it. When I got it the gray and black water pipes busted at the junction to drain because water was trapped near the junction and froze. I got that fixed. Yesterday I opened low points drains and clear water ran out. Now I set the valves on "normal ", hooked up my hose, turned on the water. I went inside to open faucets and water was flying out all over under my sink!! I balled my eyes out and cleaned it up. Did I do something wrong or do you think pipes are cracked? I did find a filter system under the sink where water was flying out. Not sure where the leaks are. I will have my son who does plumbing check it out today. This unit is a 2018 with 5k miles so basically brand new. I live in Minnesota with sub zero temps
Something to consider. I had similar problem with Greyhawk after buying. In my case, the o-ring on the filter housing was missing. Verify you have one installed.

Good luck.
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #18

Quote:
It was winterized at the dealer. I actually think the lines weren't blown out and antifreeze put into every area. The low point drains drained clear water yesterday but the sinks had antifreeze in them. There was water in the gray and black water pipes that busted off from the junction that the dealer paid for already. The entire gray water tube fell off of the camper today. Looked cracked where it was hooked up to the underbelly. assume frozen water cracked that too. Hopefully it's just busted in the kitchen and gray black drain area and not the entire plumbing system
You don't blow out the water if installing anti freeze. You pump antifreeze in and it pushes the water out. All lines have anti freeze. That's why I don't blow and drain. I pump antifreeze and never have a problem.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #19

Yep...filter housing completely cracked or broken off
Old 04-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #20

Uuugghh. Confined spaces to fix. I'd say bring it in.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote