Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #1

Cracked Water Filter in 24B

I thought I'd share my experience with the water filter in our new 2021 Redhawk 24B. We took delivery of the unit a few weeks ago and it had been winterized by the dealer. I wanted to checkout the water systems this weekend since the weather had warmed up a. bit. Based on some comments I've read on this forum I decided to check the water filter and found that the housing was cracked. Taking the filter housing off, I found it was filled with ice. I'm guessing there was water in the housing and when it was winterized the RV winterizing fluid just flowed over the top of the water and didn't mix in allowing it to freeze? Has anyone seen this before? See the photo of the cracked housing.

I'm kinda surprised the dealership didn't winterize the unit correctly. Good thing I checked before connecting the water and testing out the water systems as that could have been a mess with all the electrical equipment in that cabinet.

I decided to just remove the housing altogether and connected the two sides of the pex tubing, keeping a shutoff valve (just in case). I put some before and after photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked_Housing.jpg   Water_Filter_After.jpg   Water_Filter_Before.jpg  

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Home Base: Colorado
Brian_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #2

Highland Ranch just down the road?

This is odd for me - when I winterize, the filter absolutely fills up with Pink Stuff. Because when I de-winterize, I unscrew it and dump it out.

There are valves around my filter, that isolate it from the system. I assume they're there to allow me to replace the entire assembly; they're not like the bypass valves on a water heater.

I'm with you - if the filter assembly had ice in it, then something was done incorrectly!

Was the filter in there too? When I winterize, I remove the filter. So if the filter was gone, then that too makes me think someone tried to winterize but screwed it up.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Highland Ranch just down the road?

Was the filter in there too? When I winterize, I remove the filter. So if the filter was gone, then that too makes me think someone tried to winterize but screwed it up.
Yep, that Highlands Ranch, right down the road.

No, the filter wasn't in the housing. It was still wrapped in plastic in one of the cabinets when we got the RV.

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Home Base: Colorado
Old 01-16-2021, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_HR View Post
Yep, that Highlands Ranch, right down the road.

No, the filter wasn't in the housing. It was still wrapped in plastic in one of the cabinets when we got the RV.
Tech probably overlooked it since the filter was not in it and didn't empty it after they did the PDI and before they winterized. Forgot to add, our daughter lives in Wildcat Reserve.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Tech probably overlooked it since the filter was not in it and didn't empty it after they did the PDI and before they winterized. Forgot to add, our daughter lives in Wildcat Reserve.

Agreed. What I do when I need to winterize quickly is to run the faucets dry, until they're just sputtering. [ The filter is already out of the housing. ] Then add the pink stuff. That seems to take care of the filter housing, because when I dewinterize and unscrew the housing, it's full of pink antifreeze, clearly undiluted.

Did Camping World over by Golden do the winterizing?
Old 01-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Grumpy, small world. That’s right down the street.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Did Camping World over by Golden do the winterizing?
Yep!
Old 01-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #8

My filter like this is under the Kitchen sink. Does it only filter the Kitchen cold side? Or does it filter the entire Greyhawk 2018 31fs ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote