Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #1

crazy shower door modification?

Have a 2011 jayco greyhawk 26ds and really like it. My only wish is to have a bit larger shower. It has the 3 glass door sliders which I like and work great.

I measured the inside dimensions and got 30" by 21" (wide) which is fairly tight width wise. Not much room to turn around without banging the wall or door. I noticed that the pan and walls are actually 24 inches wide. So here's my maybe crazy plan:

I want to move the door frame out to the very edges of the tub surround and pan which would give me an additional 3 inches of interior width making the shower 24 inches wide. I might have to do some minor framing work with pvc and will caulk the inside edges well.

Has anybody tried this with their shower and if so, how did it turn out?

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks
bobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm View Post
Have a 2011 jayco greyhawk 26ds and really like it. My only wish is to have a bit larger shower. It has the 3 glass door sliders which I like and work great.

I measured the inside dimensions and got 30" by 21" (wide) which is fairly tight width wise. Not much room to turn around without banging the wall or door. I noticed that the pan and walls are actually 24 inches wide. So here's my maybe crazy plan:

I want to move the door frame out to the very edges of the tub surround and pan which would give me an additional 3 inches of interior width making the shower 24 inches wide. I might have to do some minor framing work with pvc and will caulk the inside edges well.

Has anybody tried this with their shower and if so, how did it turn out?

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks
We have same size shower and shower door. Let me know if your plan works. Husband can't use the shower as is
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #3

Well we have a 2016 31 fk, small shower, I got fed up with the shower doors, ok for super little skinny people, I took out the glass door and frame cleaned it up and installed one of those shower curton rods that are hinged in 3 places and comes out into the hall just a little. The best thing I ever did, lots of room. I like glass doors but this was easy and no leak problems.
dgmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmann View Post
Well we have a 2016 31 fk, small shower, I got fed up with the shower doors, ok for super little skinny people, I took out the glass door and frame cleaned it up and installed one of those shower curton rods that are hinged in 3 places and comes out into the hall just a little. The best thing I ever did, lots of room. I like glass doors but this was easy and no leak problems.
Do you have any problem keeping the bottom of the curtain in the shower pan? It seems like the lip would be too short. I'm considering doing this too but worry about the water getting past the curtain.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

No we get a full size liner, which it a little long, and we cut it down so it fits properly. We have had no problem with water coming out. Liners are a couple of bucks so if you mis cut just get another. We added grabb bars on each corner where the glass doors used to mount.
Attached Thumbnails
20180615_193513.jpg   20180615_193553.jpg   20180615_193559.jpg  
dgmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
We have same size shower and shower door. Let me know if your plan works. Husband can't use the shower as is
Well I finally got it done after an aborted earlier attempt. What I finally did was to unscrew 3 mounting screws on each side, added a 1/2 inch shim to each side and slid the unit out until the frame overlapped the side walls by about 1/2 inch.

The result was I gained about 2 1/2 inches of width. So, I went from 21 inches wide to 23 1/2 inches. It doesn't sound like much but the difference is significant as I can turn and move around without hitting the wall or door.
Very happy with result even though I could not get more room as I originally hoped.