Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #21

one place I haven't heard anyone mention is Great Sands Dunes National Park. Others have mentioned every where else I would suggest.

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #22

KOAs are generally very good, try to do your driving as early in the morning as possible because winds tend to pick up right after noon, take your time and enjoy the scenery. We took three months and drove out west in 2018. We hit some of the same spots that you are visiting--and all are incredible and worth seeing. But the things that I remember now are simple things like the drive from Missoula Mt. to Glacier National Park, which is breathtaking on its own--especially when you are on that narrow little two lane road on the edge of Flat Head Lake. We took no pictures of that drive (I was probably terrified most of the way), but I can't get that and so many other "point to point" drives, out of my head. You expect to be blown away by some locations, and you will be. But you don't expect to be blown away by a drive from one place to the other, or even a simple outing to find a grocery store in East Jesus Oregon, but we were. Have kids take a bunch of pictures and keep a journal too. Enjoy!
Rgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #23

The state park in Hot Springs is a great place to stay. Has full hookups and a few spots accommodates large Rv
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #24

We took a similar trip two years ago. Agree with the comments about wind - very tiring. You can go fairly long distances between gas stations - especially true in Wyoming. We had reservations in advance for the entire trip. Strongly recommend the KOA in Flagstaff. Also, very nice KOA in San Antonio (not sure if that's on your itinerary). Safe travels!!
Barbara20112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #25

Sounds like a great trip. We do those most every summer- couple month road trip. We target 6hr drive days so we’ve energy when we arrive.
Suggest Custer State Park in SD. Close to both monuments & huge beautiful park.
I live in AZ. Flag is a looong way for the north rim. Suggest you look around Jacobs Lake or S on Hwy 67. Lots of places. But Flag is a great place to explore & lots nearby.
TommyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #26

great side trip

Hi,

For a short but scenic diversion, if you take I-90, jus after you cross the Mississippi at LaCrosse, take US 61 to LaCrescent. Go straight at the light on Hwy 16 until it rejoins 90. You will go through the heart of the driftless region along the Root River. Stop in Lanesboro for a quick look around--or overnight there if that works out--then continue on through Preston, Spring Valley, and Grand Meadow, rejoining I-90 at Dexter. If you just drive through it's only about 30 minutes extra. The scenery is definitely worth it.

LeWilli in Lanesboro
LeeWilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #27

I agree with LuckyDuck about cutting a couple of activities off of this particular trip. When we take two month road trips, we usually go either east or west...not both at the same time!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #28

Slow Down and Enjoy

We have spent many weeks in Yellowstone and there is always more. The area around it has plenty as well. Same for the Big Five parks in Southern Utah. We have found that slowing down and taking it as it comes works best for us.

If we get to a place we want to see more of, we add time there and enjoy it. There are plenty of places like mentioned above which you will miss which are not highlighted in TripAdvisor or Youtube. Those are the best. Say Hi to your fellow campers. They will typically know what to see in the area.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #29

Really does sound like an adventure of a lifetime! I would be concerned about only 2 days in Yellowstone. It’s a big, busy park and to see a lot of it’s beauty you have to seek it out away from the crowds—just takes a little time, and there’s a lot to see! Also, while in the area, don’t miss the Grand Tetons! One of our favorite all time parks—lots of hiking, wildlife, etc. Glad y’all are doing this, have fun!
Old 06-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjNewbie30 View Post
Hello Fellow Jayco owners. I am looking for some input/advice. So my family and I are taking a 6+ week trip across this great country of ours. We will be leaving from Ohio and traveling to S.D to see Mt. Rushmore& Crazy Horse. Then to Yellowstone Nat. Park for a couple of days. Next we plan tp drive to Crater Lk and spend a couple of days there. 2 nights camping on the Pacific @ Jedidiah Redwood Forest. Next to Yosemite Nat. Pk. Then we will go to Antelope Mtn in Utah. We will also be camping for sa cuople of days near Flagstaff Az. to take in the Grandcanyon(North Rim) From there we plan to spend a couple of days hitting the 4 corners the petrified forest and the painted desert. Next we will go to Denver area for a couple of days. After Co. we plan on going through Kansas to hot springs Ar. before we head up through Ten and Ken. back up to Ohio.
If anyone has any suggestions of rv parks to hit, sites to see/visit, places to boondock, states or sites currently closed due to the COVID sit.or any other valuable information. We will be driving a 2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS bunkhouse and traveling as a family of 4 with our 2 dogs. I can not wait till our adventure begins next week...
Really does sound like an adventure of a lifetime! I would be concerned about only 2 days in Yellowstone. It’s a big, busy park and to see a lot of it’s beauty you have to seek it out away from the crowds—just takes a little time, and there’s a lot to see! Also, while in the area, don’t miss the Grand Tetons! One of our favorite all time parks—lots of hiking, wildlife, etc. Glad y’all are doing this, have fun!
Old 06-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #31

We made that trip 2 years ago.. we drove from Asheville NC to Alaska..Stayed at Custer mountain campground for a week in Custer SD. Great place and convenient to the attractions.

Stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone for a week. Nice but expensive.

Stayed at Walmarts in Washington and Oregon because I-5 was basically on fire and they didn't want people to going down into Redding CA.

Made the mistake of going through St.Louis at rush hour what a cluster.

Loved Amarillo especially the Big Texan steak house.

After you leave Custer go to little Big Horn. Slot of history there.

Have a good trip
Tarheel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:35 PM   #32

Cool trip!! It sounds like fun.

I noticed you mentioned Flagstaff for the north rim of Grand Canyon. That is actually by the south rim, and quite a drive from Flagstaff. To get to the north rim, you will be much closer in Jacob Lake. Also, if you wanted to take in Bryce and Zion and the north rim, you could stay in Kanab Utah, but that may not be in your agenda.

There are also several other National Park service parks in the Flagstaff area, if you decide on the south rim, or are staying there for a few days. Wupatki, Sunset Crater, Walnut Canyon and Tuzigoot are really neat. There are more too. It always comes down to how much time we have, doesn't it?

Happy trails!!
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:49 PM   #33

What a great trip. We've been too most of those locations. Definitely plan on more than one day at many of them. Lots of boondocking in the west. Plan on some windy days and hot weather in the south west. Early morning travel often works well. Start of with each person having assigned tasks upon arrival and at departure. Watch for alternative routes and be flexible. Enjoy and report back!
sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #34

10,000 miles is 5 weeks at 40 hours per week averaging 50 mph (that is if you drive at 60mph with breaks for food and fuel).

Pretty ambitious.

I did 4,000 miles in two weeks, but I drove at night while family slept. I don't need much sleep.

I can almost remember the trip.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandBecky View Post
Agree about Yellowstone. 2 days won't come close. It's 3,550 square miles with so many things to see there.

Been there 6 times and never get bored. Usually spend 7 or 8 days at Fishing Bridge campground. It's the only one in the park with full hookup's. It's closed for improvements this year and for what I'm told it's not opening till Sept. 2021.

With so many great places to see you have to limit your stay at each place.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #36

Holy Guacamole! You're my hero (from the heart- no sarcasm)! Regarding Rushmore area... If you can get camp in the Rapid City area, you'll be close to central to visit the Badlands, Custer State Park, Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, and Devil's Tower. Custer State Park campgrounds are really nice, clean, level, with a lot of grass and buffalo. Partial hookups, but free dump. There's several campgrounds inside Custer State Park, but I'd request in this order- State Game Lodge Campground; Grace Coolidge Campground; or, Legion Lake Campground. Also nearby town of Spearfish has a very nice campground called City Park Campground. There's KOA's in Custer, Rapid City, and Spearfish (old standby's). If your trip lasts through the end of September, visit this area then to witness the Buffalo Roundup, which takes place on the last Friday of September (check it out on YouTube). Good Luck, and Happy Trails...
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:25 PM   #37

Covid 19 may change things, but...

If the rangers are having programs at Mt. Rushmore go to the night program. Short program, then they light up the mountain. Nice, plus it is cooler.

I agree with others, you really need more than two days at Yellowstone. It might take a day to find the Buffalo.

Flagstaff. Arizona (as well as Colorado and New Mexico), have lots of public land for boondocking. I think every other mile in Arizona is public. Ten miles east of Flagstaff is public land on the south side of I40 that is easily accessible for an RV.
In Colorado, State School land is public.

While you are in Colorado, if you can swing through Colorado Springs? The Air Force Academy has tours, the Chapel is very impressive.

Hot Springs is a full day of walking... HS isn't too far from Fort Smith and Judge Parker's court if you like history. Probably on the way depending on your route. There is also the Great Passion Play in Eureka Springs and the destination town of Branson, Mo.

On your way through Kentucky is the Ark Encounter in Williamstown. Just the Ark is a full day. There is an eating place on the property that is great, and the price is more than reasonable. Don't go on July 11th, though.... it is scheduled 'Protest the Ark' day.

Shared by Tennessee and Kentucky is the 'Land Between the Lakes' recreation area. Spread out, several COE parks that are always reasonable in price (usually around $18-20 per night) and have water & electric.

The worst part is... six weeks isn't long enough. You will probably get home with a long list of places to go 'next time'.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:38 PM   #38

Wave as you come thru Denver.

Spring in Colorado and the surrounding areas is our rainy season with the occasional thunderstorm. My favorite app is the NOAA Weather app. I usually watch two things: rain and wind.

We can really get some winds out here. If they happen to be 20+mph cross winds, just pull off at any exit, pop open a (root) beer and wait it out. Maybe a couple of hours, but you don't want to be driving our rigs in high crosswinds.

Enjoy!