Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #1

Cross Country Trip Suggestions

Hello Fellow Jayco owners. I am looking for some input/advice. So my family and I are taking a 6+ week trip across this great country of ours. We will be leaving from Ohio and traveling to S.D to see Mt. Rushmore& Crazy Horse. Then to Yellowstone Nat. Park for a couple of days. Next we plan tp drive to Crater Lk and spend a couple of days there. 2 nights camping on the Pacific @ Jedidiah Redwood Forest. Next to Yosemite Nat. Pk. Then we will go to Antelope Mtn in Utah. We will also be camping for sa cuople of days near Flagstaff Az. to take in the Grandcanyon(North Rim) From there we plan to spend a couple of days hitting the 4 corners the petrified forest and the painted desert. Next we will go to Denver area for a couple of days. After Co. we plan on going through Kansas to hot springs Ar. before we head up through Ten and Ken. back up to Ohio.
If anyone has any suggestions of rv parks to hit, sites to see/visit, places to boondock, states or sites currently closed due to the COVID sit.or any other valuable information. We will be driving a 2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS bunkhouse and traveling as a family of 4 with our 2 dogs. I can not wait till our adventure begins next week...
NjNewbie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #2

Wow, that’s quite an undertaking, hope all goes as planned! How many miles do you anticipate?

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:00 AM   #3

Sounds like a great time! Have fun and stay safe!
Pops&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:25 AM   #4

Anticipating 10,000 miles or more. I know it is a lot of driving but we have 4 drivers so I'm hoping that I get some help in that department...
Old 06-19-2020, 06:14 AM   #5

That sounds like quite a trip. Enjoy all the places you are visiting!
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #6

I'd make sure the generator is fully serviced. You'll be boone-docking a LOT because every campground out west is full. I am not kidding either. PLUS hardly any campgrounds in the National Parks are open. I have NEVER seen it like this. Every RV owned or rented is rolling this summer.

I'm heading to Arizona this weekend - then Denver - Cody WY - Yellowstone - Mt Rushmore - Badlands.
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #7

We did the northwest part of this trip in 2017. We always knew where we were going to camp that night, before we started out in the morning. Used a lot of KOA's, but you might not have that luxury this year. Besides some Walmarts, most Cracker Barrels allow overnight parking. Truck stops work in the area not reserved for trucks, but you need to come in late and leave early. Always ask permission.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 AM   #8

NJNewbie30,

I would hit Wall Drug, Badlands and the Minuteman Missile museum prior to Mt. Rushmore. There is a REALLY neat little self-service campground at Exit 98 on I-90 west of Wall Drug in Wasta. It just has electricity and water/dump at the entrance, but its better than boone-docking. It was only $10 a night the last time I was thru. I would also HIGHLY recommend the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody and the Cody Rodeo which is held nightly. You need to pre-book the Rodeo since they're only letting in 1/2 the people this year.

Do Mesa Verde by 4 corners and book the the new KOA at Monument Valley (spectacular sunset/sunrise)

I'm not sure what the person above is referencing about truck stops? You can park with the big rigs at any one you like. You can't put your slides out when you're in a truck spot though, unless you happen to get one with grass on that side and not another truck. This is the only place I stay usually when going cross country by myself. The only ones you can't park in are the ones blocked by cones at the Pilot and the Flying J. These are reserved by appointment. But guess what, you can reserve and pay for them on the Pilot app just like a big rig.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #9

Am making trip now from Washington State to western NY and I have one word for you: wind. Constant crosswind from the south for 4 days, was forced off the freeway in Nebraska by wind I couldn't walk against. Don't agree with one poster above on open RV parks but they do seem to fill fast so getting there early is good. Two more days and we should be at our new home. Last cross-country trip in an RV that we will ever make!

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #10

pward,

Im sorry....I meant campgrounds around attractions. The ones in BFE I'm sure have spots....lol
Old 06-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Am making trip now from Washington State to western NY and I have one word for you: wind. Constant crosswind from the south for 4 days, was forced off the freeway in Nebraska by wind I couldn't walk against. Don't agree with one poster above on open RV parks but they do seem to fill fast so getting there early is good. Two more days and we should be at our new home. Last cross-country trip in an RV that we will ever make!
OP, have you lots of highway driving experience in your RV to ensure there are no unexpected handling issues that you will wish were addressed before the trip.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #12

There is much to see around Rapid City, South Dakota including the Badlands NP, Crazy Horse Monument and Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park. We stayed at a KOA there last summer that was convenient for driving to the various sites.
I'm not sure of your route to Yellowstone, but if you're taking I-90 West, you will also be close to the Devil's Tower which was featured in the film "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". We stayed in Gardiner, Montana when we visited Yellowstone. It's the north entrance of the park and where the Roosevelt Arch is located. You will also be close to the Tetons if you want to go out the south end of the park.
Yosemite is spectacular, though I haven't taken an RV there only backpacked it about 10 years ago. All of northern Arizona and Southern Utah is spectacular (four Corners, Monument Valley, Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, etc.). If you're looking for a campground in Denver, try booking a site at Cherry Creek State Park. Very close to downtown and convenient for day trips in and around Denver.
Your trip sounds amazing. Wish you the best of luck and safe travels!
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #13

Cross Country Trip Suggestions

Wind..... lots of wind. We just got back from Yellowstone area, Black Hills, and Southern Colorado. Wind like the kind where you hang on to the door with both hands as you open lest it be ripped away from you. We’re pulling a fifth wheel, but a couple days I looked in the rear mirror to see the king pin moving side to side due to wind.

We booked our trip just a couple weeks prior. No issues with space. Full time friends have had some easy boondocking out west as well.

In SD we did Custer State Park and Rafter J ranch. Both good. Also, there’s a few FS campgrounds. I like lake Sheridan area. Didn’t book too far out. In Wyoming we did the Longhorn Ranch in Dubois. A bit far from Yellowstone, but doable. Nice little town and nice drive to the south entrance. Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone probably has space because it’s so dang expensive, but very nice I’m told. Also Gros Ventre near Jackson which is first come will have something if you get there early. On the way from SD to Yellowstone go through Buffalo, WY. KOA there is nice if you want hookups or there is forest service stuff as you climb up in the big horns near there.

Have fun. We did 2.5 weeks, and I wish we were still out there.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #14

Sounds like a great trip. Unless you have something specific to see in Denver, Colorado Springs would be a great alternative. Plenty of attractions there like Pikes Peak and Garden of the gods to name a few.

Edit. Close enough to Denver for a day trip either way.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjNewbie30 View Post
From there we plan to spend a couple of days hitting the 4 corners the petrified forest and the painted desert.
I was just in this area 2 weeks ago. Many of the Indian Reservations are still closed and from what I read and was told might not be opening up anytime soon.

Somebody mentioned Mesa Verde nation park. It was open but none of the cliff dwellings tours either self guided or ranger led are open. Not sure if they will open up this year or not.

I just did a similar 3 week trip SD, ND, WY, UT, CO. Had no problems getting RV hookups or BLM boondock sites. But it seemed as it got later into June things were starting to fill in pretty good. I was at Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV park between Cody, WY and the East entrance to Yellowstone and there were only a handful of camper there. But that was on June 3rd and 4th. Probably a different story now.

Enjoy the trip! Sound like an awesome one.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #16

These comments are just mine, and I don't mean to offend anyone. We've been to every place you mentioned except Hot Springs. We take road trips like this every summer...very manageable. We're usually gone for two months at a time. Just have to make sure you do factor in wind when you're out west. It can tire you and slow you down. Redwoods are majestic and amazing. Crater Lake is a one-day-only adventure. Yosemite is crazy crowded. Grand Canyon doesn't take long to see (look down in one area and you've seen it). Petrified Forest/Painted Desert is beautiful. Utah is a beautiful state, as is Wyoming. Many attractions in both that aren't necessarily "major tourist attractions". Yellowstone definitely can't be seen in just two days. Agree that there's so much to do in the Black Hills area (last summer we stayed there almost a week). Devil's Tower is a must...just as impressive as Mount Rushmore. When you're in the Tennessee area, do hit a little of the Blue Ridge Parkway if you can...breathtaking with lots of caves, waterfalls and beautiful vistas. You're going to have an amazingly great time!!! If you're ever in a bind for places to stay, try Cracker Barrel. We stay there when we can't find a KOA (our favorite) or state park or are going through a city near bedtime. They never refuse our request to park in their lot, and they're usually in pretty safe areas...we always at least eat breakfast or dinner there as our thank you.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:53 AM   #17

Something else to keep in mind. Most of the interstate highways are awful and will beat your suspension to death. Everybody is doing maintenance now, mile after mile of two way or very restricted traffic and NOBODY slows down.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #18

So true, pward. We avoid the interstates whenever possible! We live right on I-80 and detest it. As they say: two seasons - winter and road construction. Thank goodness there are lots of roads-less-traveled out west.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #19

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback and great suggestions.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #20

That is one ambitious trip — and some incredible sights to see. Having been to some of those places, I have to say you might be trying to hit too many in too short a time, even six weeks. I second Koko that Crater Lake is a one-day visit and Yellowstone can easily be a week. We just returned from Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone and it was fully booked as of about a week ago. Unless you have reservations, I think you’ll find the same at places like Redwood National Park (another multi-day visit) and certainly Yosemite, if they even keep it open. For us, personally, too much driving and pushing to get to the next destination takes the fun out of such a fun journey. Throw in an unexpected mechanical issue and you really are jammed up. You might want to think about carving part of it off and save it for next year. Just my two cents. Regardless, have fun!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote