Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #1

Curved panel in overhead cabin

Hello All (new to forum).

We just picked up our 2019 Greyhawk 26Y & located the loud banging noise above our heads. It appears that the adhesive (assuming liquid nail) has come loose. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix (& pics if you have)?

I'm thinking I can go about it one of two ways:
1. Drill small hole through the interior panel right above area & fill w/liquid nail.
2. Remove panel strip above bunk so I can pull back paneling enough to attempt fix (this is preferred option, but not sure best way to remove panel strip).

I've read a few people used the expandable foam, but not sure I want to go that route due to potential buldging behind panel.

Thank You!
DnTmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

I would take off the panel or better yet have the dealer do it under warranty. You might find something loose back there or so poorly made it needs major work.

I had some car repairs done a while back. Looked under the hood a few days later and found a large ball peen hammer bouncing around under the hood. So you never know what might be back there!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

Very true!

We bought it used (original owner used once & decided to trade up), so we got a great deal. The unfortunate side of the deal, we had to buy it from a dealer that knows nothing about Jayco's, so we're pretty much on our own. I'm pretty handy so I "think" I can do it, I just wanted to see if anyone out there has attempted it yet & can provide some feedback from their experience.

This is one of my upcoming wknd projects for the rig. We do have extended warranty, so that will be plan B if it seems like too much to tackle.

I did call Jayco & they said no warranty offered if your not they original owner (FYI for those thinking Jayco warranty will still exist if you purchase used)!

Thxs for feedback!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

You might want to slide over and take a look at this thread. They have the same issue, and offered some solutions.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...nel-70672.html
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #5

I'll check it out, thank you for reply!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnTmor View Post
Very true!

I did call Jayco & they said no warranty offered if your not they original owner (FYI for those thinking Jayco warranty will still exist if you purchase used)!
Unfortunately true! But if you contact Jayco, and ask for the wall build plans, they should email them to you. You do need to provide your VIN number.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #7

Thxs for info. I did call Jayco & spoke to John, he said he'd email info. He also recommend trying the Dicore self leveling sealant. I have some foam strips as well. Once I see how much space I have to work with, will go from there.

I asked him about the removal of another wood panel I need to troubleshoot (behind passenger seat) & he said to use square torque bits, not screwdriver....good to know!
Old 11-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnTmor View Post
Thxs for info. I did call Jayco & spoke to John, he said he'd email info. He also recommend trying the Dicore self leveling sealant. I have some foam strips as well. Once I see how much space I have to work with, will go from there.

I asked him about the removal of another wood panel I need to troubleshoot (behind passenger seat) & he said to use square torque bits, not screwdriver....good to know!
The "square" head screws are "Robertson". I have a couple bits here and there, been meaning to get more. Phillips head will work in a pinch (careful you don't strip out the head, it's easy to do), but the right driver does make a difference.

ETA: This reminded me to "go shopping". The bits are commonly called "square", and I believe Jayco standard will be #2. Anyway, a search for "robertson drivers" on Amazon nets quite a few results...

Take lots of pics when you get into that project, I know there are a few members here who have had the same problem and would appreciate the information.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #9

Hello all,

We wanted to provide a update on this project. Banging noise solved! Thanks to those who tackled this before us We followed their advise and completed this without issue.

We wanted to share some pictures and explain the process.

1.You can remove the main strip without any tools. You can gently wiggle the piece from side to side and it will come out. It is basically held in with about 8-1in thin nails along the strip.

2. Using a small tool, i.e.; small pry bar or butter knife, (see pics) pry your way underneath the 1/8 siding. Be careful as it is pretty thin. It is held in by very small staples. Once you remove the first staple, you can slide the pry bar along and remove any other staples fairly easily. We added the blue tape to protect the padded area. We removed approximately 5 staples on both sides of access area. Even after the staples are removed, you cannot see down there and access is tight.

3. Using the "Great Stuff Window and Door" expandable foam (the blue type) we extended the hose by purchasing additional 1/4 inch clear hose to add the required length to reach the area. We taped that down to some cut-out cardboard to keep everything nice and neat. We shoved that down to the area and filled it with foam (used about 1/2 can total). We made sure to move it around to get both sides and around the area.

4. We let it sit overnight and tested in the morning.

Problem solved! All-in-all, it took about 2 hrs to complete and approximately $15 worth of parts.

Hope this helps others having the same issue!
Attached Thumbnails
Pic1.jpg   Pic2.jpg   Pic3.jpg   Pic4.jpg   Pic5.jpg  

Old 11-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #10

Outstanding!

Any idea as to the root cause?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #11

If I had to guess, probably lack of adhesive and/or filling. We tackled another problem area behind passenger seat & when you begin removing panels, you can see gaps that cause rattling. Seems like the expansible foam is used quite a bit to fill in gaps, but definitely use sparingly & w/caution as to not overdo it. Upgrading to better hardware seems like an option as well. Jayco offered up some blueprints, but didn't really use them much.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #12

You can sometimes save a partial can of Great Stuff foam if you move quickly. I do this so I can fill a hole when I find one or need to and not waste the rest of the cans..
Get something with a lot of acetone in it. Goof Off has a small can that lasts a long time. Immediately ( within a minute or less if possible) unscrew to extension pipe and drip acetone down the spout. Let it sit while you drip some down the pipe. I then use a piece of small copper wire to ream out the goopy stuff. Add a few more drops till it drips through. Back to the can I shake out the remaining acetone and repeat to get as much as possible. I have re-used the same can several times using this method.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote