Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #21

TorquePro, paid version.
OBDlink MX+ (Bluetooth)

Been using these for years.

Not only can you monitor PIDs, you scan for diagnostic/error codes.

DO NOT BUY THE CHEAP CHINESE OBD readers!
1) They can corrupt live/streaming data and throw your Silverado into "Limp" mode (real experience).
2) They will draw power if left plugged in.
djglover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by djglover7 View Post
TorquePro, paid version.
OBDlink MX+ (Bluetooth)

Been using these for years.

Not only can you monitor PIDs, you scan for diagnostic/error codes.

DO NOT BUY THE CHEAP CHINESE OBD readers!
1) They can corrupt live/streaming data and throw your Silverado into "Limp" mode (real experience).
2) They will draw power if left plugged in.
Don't know about #1 but #2 definitely happened to me. I will pay extra not to have a dead battery. Fortunately for me, my 22J had a "magic button" on the dash to connect the house battery and start the engine. New batteries and the frustration cost more than a properly designed device.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReflection View Post
Don't know about #1 but #2 definitely happened to me. I will pay extra not to have a dead battery. Fortunately for me, my 22J had a "magic button" on the dash to connect the house battery and start the engine. New batteries and the frustration cost more than a properly designed device.

Same here. Never had a problem with corrupt data percolating upstream and I tested the cheap Chinese in a few vehicles.

But yeah, they do stay on when plugged in.

OBDLink MX+ is a very good unit.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #24

Is this similar to Forscan? Where you can change some of the defaults such as all doors unlock in park, or actual numbers above the gauges on the dash?
Lorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenc View Post
Is this similar to Forscan? Where you can change some of the defaults such as all doors unlock in park, or actual numbers above the gauges on the dash?

Bear in mind that I'm far from an expert - but to change defaults, I'm pretty sure you're talking the CANBUS protocol.

Most of the discussion here has been around the older OBD2 protocol. In OBD2, data is usually just transmitted. The number of changes you can make over ODB2 is small. An ELM327 Clone, for example, will be ODB2 only.

But, the protocols have been smushed together over the years.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:23 PM   #26

So i had a OB2 reader and have used Torque free to see/reset codes. I went ahead and purchased the paid version, $5 to see if I could get more info out of the reader. It unlocked more info, but most of the PIDs are still invalid. The pro version is easier to use graphically and also lets you have profiles for each car you plug in. Unfortunately you have to put in the PIDs for specific manufacturers/models, if you can find them and hope they work. I looked around for an hour or so and found some but seemed like a lot of work and users in the forum said it didn't always work. I think I might blame user entry in those cases as the PIDs are similar to a mathematical equation.

I went ahead and paid for OBD Fusion (another $5) and was looking at purchasing the extra codes per manufacturer. $10 seems like a deal versus spending hours trying to get a few codes that might work.

For those that purchased the codes in OBD Fusion, did you just buy the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury set for the year of the chassis? Mine has a 12/2017 sticker on the side of a 2018 Jayco, so I'm assuming I'd buy the 2017 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury PID set, right?

Thanks-
Old 06-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #27

Tom - thank you so much for this info. I'm finding it very helpful. Can you help answer a question or two about your dashboard? What PID are you using for Engine Load and Transmission Temp? I'm having a tough time locating them

Thanks!
Ripwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripwild View Post
Tom - thank you so much for this info. I'm finding it very helpful. Can you help answer a question or two about your dashboard? What PID are you using for Engine Load and Transmission Temp? I'm having a tough time locating them

Thanks!

The PID's for Engine Load & Transmission Temp are located in the Powertrain Control Module of the Enhanced Ford Diagnostics add on.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #29

Just following back up on this. I'm about to head out for a trip and wanted to test out the OBD readings. I went ahead and downloaded the OBD Fusion ($5) and connected to the BT ODBII reader (same BAFX as listed above) and when it connects, it recognizes the vehicle. If you then go to add-ons it highlights, or specifically says "You have one vehicle supported by these add-ons". If you purchase it you'll have a large set of additional PIDs to choose from. In my case, 2018 E-450, I had roughly 450 additional PIDs. I recorded my screen scrolling through the PIDs that you can watch here to get an idea of what you are purchasing:
https://youtu.be/WflthDHqtFw

Below are a few screen pictures of the purchase process. If you can see the file name, I've renamed them 'one' through 'five' so you have an idea of the sequence.

It would be extremely helpful if you could share dashboards since setting these up could take hours/days depending on what you wanted to see, setting high and low thresholds, dial vs digital displays and more.
Attached Thumbnails
one.jpg   two.jpg   three.jpg   four.jpg   five.jpg  

Old 06-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #30

You can share them

There is an option in setting to link to a Dropbox.

Then you could literally post a link to it here, a shared folder on your Dropbox

Iv spent hrs making dials, learning

Was fun using it and driving up here monday
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #31

If you zip it, then you can attach it to your new comments here. ~CA
Old 06-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #32

Here is a zip file of this dash. Very similar. I think I made some small changes since taking that screenshot. If you know how to download and import it into you app. Try it. I made this on an older 7" tablet. I have a 2016, but it might work on newer models too. If you install it you can customize it to your liking.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2021-05-21-16-06-23.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip OBDLink Android Settings 2021-06-08 200900.stg.zip (44.8 KB, 21 views)
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
Old 06-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #33

Thanks. I'll look for the import method. I did see the the linking option to Dropbox or One/Google Drive, but generally stay away from those settings.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
For you tech geeks out there. I installed an app called OBD Fusion on a 7 year old Samsung Tablet and it works very well. The dash is fully customizable, there are probably over a hundred different PID's that can be accessed. Here is a screenshot of the dash I designed. I wasn't using the tablet anymore, and I had to purchase an obdii device to plug in, and the app. There are versions for Android and iPhone. It runs well on both. I have found that trying to keep the Engine Load below 82% helps prevent the transmission from downshifting. Displays can either be all digital or analog, or a combination like mine. The V10 puts out a lot of info, just need a way to access it. It will also do diagnostics, display trouble codes and keep trip logs. It displays info like a Scanguage, but this solution is less costly if you have an older device just sitting around. Here's a link to the app if you want more info. I have no connections to them, other than being a consumer.

https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion
Which OBDII device did you purchase. I have one I bought a couple years ago but it has limited access to certain PIDs. The transmission temp PID being one I can not access with my OBDII device.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #35

I'm gunna test that STG file Tom posted, maybe today, I'm camping so not sure yet

I really enjoyed the PID info while driving up here

Watching the Engine power change, and the Fuel Milage fluctuate so much was insane
Damn hills killllllllll mpg...lol
Left at 1000', sitting at 7200' now

One add.

The Dropbox is nice to use two different items, IE my phone or Tablet , and easily transferring the Layouts between them
Old 06-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
Which OBDII device did you purchase. I have one I bought a couple years ago but it has limited access to certain PIDs. The transmission temp PID being one I can not access with my OBDII device.
I have 2 different ones I use. The one in my car is a Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner. Available for about $30. I had to purchase OBD Fusion and the Extended Ford PIDS. It always draws a little power, I use my car everyday and have not had any battery problems with it.

The other one in the RV is a OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner. This cost about $100 but includes the OBD App and all extended PIDS. No additional purchases are necessary. This is good in the RV and I don't have to always remove it when its parked. It has a sleep mode after you shut engine off.

They both work equally well. No problems with either of them. Heres the links to them at Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
Old 06-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
I'm gunna test that STG file Tom posted, maybe today, I'm camping so not sure yet

I really enjoyed the PID info while driving up here

Watching the Engine power change, and the Fuel Milage fluctuate so much was insane
Damn hills killllllllll mpg...lol
Left at 1000', sitting at 7200' now

One add.

The Dropbox is nice to use two different items, IE my phone or Tablet , and easily transferring the Layouts between them

Be sure you have yours backed up to dropbox in case you overwrite them.
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
Old 06-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Be sure you have yours backed up to dropbox in case you overwrite them.
Depending on what type of device you have, you can also save them to a MicroSD (or similar) memory card (import and export them). I have a 9" android in-dash radio that works great for seeing the gauges. ~CA
Old 06-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Here is a zip file of this dash. Very similar. I think I made some small changes since taking that screenshot. If you know how to download and import it into you app. Try it. I made this on an older 7" tablet. I have a 2016, but it might work on newer models too. If you install it you can customize it to your liking.
Thanks, I will give it a try this weekend. I only have used the default gauge sets with a few and small modifications. ~CA
Old 06-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #40

Update

1st trip with the new toys.

I live at 1000'. Destination at 7200'

Was nice to see a REAL mpg instead of pump and calculator mpg

Was aprox 6.7mpg up, 65-70mph. Watching the average mpg go to 4.0mpg going up those steeeeeep grades was nuts

Ended up at 7.9mpg when I got home today. Best average if seen in 14k miles in my Entegra 25r, that's towing my Honda pilot.

The mpg guage is worth the $$$ for me, and watching the other guages is just fun